Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2002 WRX Donor for Sale - Highly Modified - Low Miles

Post Thanks / Like

2002 WRX Donor for Sale - Highly Modified - Low Miles

Hey everyone,

For some back story on this, I have owned the car since 2006. I loved the car. Still do really. As mentioned in the title, it is highly modified. Over the years of owning it, I went through and upgraded everything possible. And from the list below, you know I mean everything. All of the mods were designed around making it a better street car and autocross racer as it was a daily driver (highway miles to work) and autocrossed a handful of time per year. I wanted usable power, so the turbo, while larger than stock, still spools up fast but produces about 375-400hp at the crank with the new motor. Full boost (19psi) hits at about 4000rpm. That mated to the RA close ratio 5 speed tranny, and it is a rocket ship.

I blew the stock tranny racing autocross. I worked with my local Subaru performance shop (LIC motorsports) who happened to have a 5 speed tranny with an RA gearset and a front Cusco 1.5 way LSD. It was used, but only for about 6000 miles. The customer that had it decided to go with a 6 speed swap after driving it for a while. After the tranny went into my car, I blew the 2.0L motor. Again, I went to LIC motorsports and had them build me a brand new 2.5L motor based off of their race spec short block with some extra upgrades like billet rods and upgraded springs and valves (can handle up to a 9000rpm redline, but has never been shifted above 7000rpm). A full breakdown of the build is below. I way over built the engine so that it could handle anything thrown at it.

After getting the car back after the engine build, I went through a meticulous break in process. With the money I spent on the motor, I wasn't about to do anything except exactly as directed by the guys at LIC. After the break in, the final tune was done by the head tuner at COBB. Sadly I'm blanking on his name now, but it is the same guy that tunes LIC Motorsports' race car.

Not too long after that, I hit a deer on the freeway. Insurance totaled the car even though the damage done to it was minimal. I had planned on using it as a donor car myself before hitting the deer, so after insurance totaled it, I didn't see the point in spending any money to get it back out on the road again, so it has been sitting in the garage.

Unfortunately, building an 818 is just not in the cards for me right now and I am sitting on a fantastic platform to build a monster of a car. You will not find a better donor car anywhere. Below is a list of everything that has been done to the car, as well as a lot of extras (2 extra turbos for example). There are also a lot of extras that are not on the list that I have sitting in boxes. Prices paid are also listed so you can see the value you would be getting. Extensive receipts have been kept as well. I would like to sell it all as a package. I realize that a lot of the extra stuff and some of the modified stuff isn't really applicable to building an 818, but selling the un-needed items could help finance your build.

Asking $12,000 OBO for everything.

Engine
    LIC Motorsports built 2.5L R1 Engine Balanced within 0.25grams - $12,993
    2.5L semi Closed Turbo Block
    Subaru STi Forged Nitride Crank
    Billet H-Beam Rods
    ACL Rod/Main Bearings
    JE 99.50 Lightweight Forged Pistons
    JE Piston Rings
    JE Wrist Pins
    NGK Irridum Spark Plugs
    ARP Subaru Headstuds (11mm)
    Power Enterprises Kevlar Timing Belt
    Cosworth Timing Belt Billet Guide
    LIC Motorsports Timing belt Idler Bearings
    STi Water Pump
    New Head Castings w/ custom machining
    Cam Buckets
    Supertech Subaru Turbo INCONEL Exhaust Valves (32x5.96x104.70mm)
    Supertech Subaru Turbo Stainless Steel/Black Nitrided backcut Intake Valves (36x5.96x104.35mm)
    Supertech Dual Valve Spring 70 @ 35.5mm – 9000rpm Redline (Never Shifted over 7000rpm)
    MAF Sensor
    STi 565cc “Pink” Fuel Injectors - $400
    IHI VF34 Turbo - $1450
    Vishnu Aluminum Top-Mount Intercooler - $1000
    Go Fast Bits (GFB) Stealth FX Blow Off Valve - $350
    APS 65mm Cold Air Intake - $280
    Prodrive 3-Port Boost Control Solenoid + Boos Line - $125
    Port and Polish VF34 Turbo - $150
    Ignition Coils - $420
    GrimmSpeed Catless Up-Pipe (black coated, non EWG) - $200
    New front O2 sensor - $225
    APS DR series 3.5in. Turbo back race exhaust w/ silencer - $1295
    Gruppe-S V2 unequal length header - $375

Transmission
    Used/Rebuilt (aprox. 6000 miles on tranny at time of purchase) with 5 speed RA Close Ratio Gearset w/ Cusco Front Limited Slip Differential - $3250
    RPS MAX Series Clutch with Street Disc. Pedal Pressure = stock + 15%, Torque Capacity = 400 ft pounds - $625
    Lightweight Flywheel - $350
    STi 5 speed transmission mount - $80
    Short Throw Shifter - $260

Suspension
    Prodrive lowering springs, 1.5” drop in front, 1” drop in rear, 30% stiffer than stock - $300
    KYB AGX Gas shocks - 4 way adjustable compression - $560
    Whiteline Bump Steer Kit - $200
    Cusco oversized Strut Bar (Front) - $180
    Cusco oversized Strut Bar (Rear) - $180
    Cusco Adjustable Rear Sway Bar - $200
    Kartboy Endlinks - $200

Tuning/ Engine Management
    COBB AccessPORT V2 -$695
    Custom tune by COBB Tuning - $440

Brakes
    Stoptech Big Brake kit 4 piston (front) - $1900
    Stoptech BBK 2 piece slotted rotors 328x28mm (front) - $440
    Stoptech BBK AXXIS ULT 609 brake pads (front) - $80
    Stoptech AXXIS ULT 770 brake pads (rear) - $50
    AP Racing 551 Brake fluid

Cooling
    Koyo Aluminum Radiator - $480
    Samco Radiato Hose Kit - $115

Wheels & Tires
    Enkei RPF1 17x9” Black - $1080
    Continental Extreme Contact DWS 235/45R17 (brand new) - $600
    Rota Tarmac 2 17x8.5” Silver - $700
    Toyo Proxes TR1 225/45R17 (worn) - $720
    Rota (model unknown) 17x9” Sports Bronze - $850 estimate
    Toyo Proxes R888 235/35R17 (worn) - $860

Gauges
    Omori Boost Gauge - $150
    Omori Exhaust Temp - $170
    Omori Fuel Pressure - $180

Some Extras
    IHI VF30 Turbo - $950
    Stock WRX TD04 Turbo
    Stock WRX intercooler
    Vishnu 3” Turbo back catted exhaust - $1600
    OBX equal length header - $340
    Stock WRX exhaust
    Stock WRX intake
    Stock WRX BOV

Here are some pictures of it so you can see the condition. Sorry, some the pictures are pretty blown out with the light. I can take any pictures anyone would like to see.

image1.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpgimage4.jpgimage5.jpgimage6.jpgimage7.jpgimage8.jpgimage9.jpgimage10.jpg
    Last edited by Drew P; 11-12-2014 at 07:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 for Noah and Adam at LIC Motorsports!

As far as the tuner, are you referring to Timothy Bailey?
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    +1 for old school Vishnu parts.

and Gruppe-s

and Omori

and I bet this used to be an Ecutek car.

GLWS! If it wasn't halfway across the world I'd be seriously considering this!
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
    +1 for Noah and Adam at LIC Motorsports!

As far as the tuner, are you referring to Timothy Bailey?
    I love Noah and Adam. They are great guys! And I think you are right. I wanted to say the tuner was named Tim, but I couldn't remember for sure and didn't want to just throw a name out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    +1 for old school Vishnu parts.

and Gruppe-s

and Omori

and I bet this used to be an Ecutek car.

GLWS! If it wasn't halfway across the world I'd be seriously considering this!
    longislandwrx, you are correct! This was originally an Ecutek tune done by Shiv at Vishnu. That was when I first got the car in 2006 though. After I made some more mods, like the race exhaust and cold air intake on the stock 2.0L motor, it needed a new tune and it was switched over to the Cobb Access Port since it is so much easier to use and has really become the standard. I obviously stayed with that when I had the 2.5L race motor built too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, you aren't too far away!
    A few questions:
    How many miles and years on the rebuilt motor?
    Compression check numbers? (I love it when the JDM Engine suppliers provide a video of a compression check).
    I'm assuming it starts and drives, at least enough to drive it around the block and into a trailer?

This is minor, but I don't think Cusco makes a helical diff. All Cusco diffs are clutch/plate type.

Thanks.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Bend isnt too far away. I have some friends thst live there too.

The motor was built in June of 2011. I hit the deer on July 4th of 2012 after a fireworks show, so there has only been a year of use on it. I think I got 3 autocrosses in with it during that time.

As for mileage on the motor, the new motor went in when the car had 178,146 miles on the odometer. The car is actually in another town from me right now and the battery is dead so I don't know the exact mileage, but the last service record I have before the deer is from April, 20th 2012 with 195,408 miles. It was a daily driver with pretty much all highway miles (90 mile round trip work commute). So figure it is about 198,000 miles on the odometer now, which would put the engine with somewhere around 20-23k miles on it.

I did do a compression check on the engine before doing the final tune after break in. It broke down like this:

1 - 160psi / 5%
    2 - 170psi / 7%
    3 - 165psi / 4%
    4 - 170psi / 6%

So at that point we knew it was close to getting everything settled. I drove it another couple weeks following the break in rules before we did the final tune and called it good.

On the front diff, my receipt says, "USED 2002 WRX RA Gearset w/ Front Helical LSD Transmission." In talking with the shop they told me thst it was a Cusco 1.5 way front diff. What is on my receipt may be them using an existing part number in their system when they rung me up. I hadnt really thought about it when I was typing stuff in for this posting. Sorry for any confusion on that. Spec list has been updated.

The car does run. I drove it into the garage where the pictures were taken. Like I said earlier, the battery is dead at this point, but take care of that and do an oil change to get rid of the old oil in there and she will fire right up.
    Last edited by Drew P; 11-12-2014 at 07:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    To give this thread a bump, I was transferring files from computer to computer and found a video I shot and edited on my phone from the first AX after the car was fully broken in and had had its final tune. Someone at the AX had a mount for an iPhone so I gave it a try. Not the best video out there, but it was kind of fun to put together.