Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: engine and automatic transmission advice search

Post Thanks / Like

engine and automatic transmission advice search

Hi,
    I am new to this forum and new to the world of mechanics. I intend to build a FFR Cobra replica for daily use, so I do not look for the most powerful combination. Based on what I red so far (forums, blogs, publications), I am pretty confident I can deal with most of the building process, however, the engine and transmission choice is my biggest question mark. So please, any advise is welcomed!
    The goal is to have a smal block engine (289 or 302) with an automatic transmission - is this possible? What is the best combo and who is a reliable source for both engine and transmission?
    I live in Savoy, IL (near Champaign) and if there are any members in the area, I will like to meet some and learn from their building experience.
    Also, if somebody knows and can recommend a good mechanic in the area, I will appreciate the info.

Regards,
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Your best bet for good power and great reliability would be to use a drivetrain straight out of a mustang donor.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Michael. I will prefer a new engine and transmission as I am afraid I do not have the capability and facility to rebuild an old engine

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^ x's 2
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in the same boat and trying to decide what engine to go with. I am not planning on using it for a daily driver, but certainly performance is not the only factor. I am converging on using a Coyote engine with a TKO 500 transmission. I would have loved to put a 427 in it, but I think that has way too much power (can't believe I just said that!)

Any other suggestions/thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems that this combo is very popular, but if I am not wrong, the TKO500 (or TKO600) is a manual transmission. My wife will never enjoy driving a car with a manual transmission so I must go with automated one. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    The Ford AOD that would be found in a Fox body Mustang is a popular choice for FFR builders, because it is non-electronic and doesn't require a transmission controller. You can get aftermarket AODs built for street use or hardened for performance use, from a variety of vendors. Summit Racing has several available from different suppliers from as little as $1500 to $3500, depending on what you want.

-Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Kyle. Do you know if AOD is matching the FFR IV or it requires additional alterations?

Post Thanks / Like
    I and others have modified the removable A-frame transmission mount to make more room for the AOD oil pan, but I've heard people say that it will fit without those modifications. Widening the mount at least makes it possible to access the trans oil pan bolts, in case you ever want to change the fluid and filter.

There are some protrusion around the bell of the housing that interfere with the frame, that need to be removed before you install the transmission and the starter ear is very close to the frame, but that can be clearanced with a grinder, as well. You will also likely need an aftermarket flexible dipstick and tube for an AOD.

It sounds like a lot, but it's not that bad... :-)

Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember to get a TV cable if you are using an AOD, it is required for proper operation of the transmission.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    You will also need a trans cooler or radiator with an integral cooler, and the extra lines that requires.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would call Mike Forte.
    http://www.fortesparts.com/
    The Ford AOD is an overdrive top gear trans w/ 4 gears in all and will work just fine. I would Think about making a 302 into a mild 331 also.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.