FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Do you favor the Vantage 818 or Whetstone 818 over the current designs?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! Give me the Vantage 818

36 42.86%
  • YES! Give me the Whetstone 818

31 36.90%
  • NO! I like on of the current designs

17 20.24%

Thread: Vantage and Whetstone 818 poll while dave is out at SEMA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Vantage and Whetstone 818 poll while dave is out at SEMA

Even thought the design contest is over, david still gave us the opportunity to suggest other designs. Vman's and S.W.'s have come out as standout favorites and I think they are gorgeous. However, as a scientist, I would really like to have some hard data. I know this is bending the rules, but I would really like to see these designs come to fruitiion in some form and over the current crop of winners.

Here are links to their respective threads:

Shawn Whetstone/Whetstone 818

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...stone-s-Design

Vman7/ Vantage 818

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Design-Project

Poll for the design contest winners

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...forum-for-dave
    Last edited by shinn497; 10-31-2011 at 12:30 AM. Reason: forgot the links

Post Thanks / Like
    The Vantage is a very sexy car, if any other design is going to be considered I think it should be that one. Closest to HOF by far. Only thing is Vman really needs to finish it up quick so that if Dave is even interested in that he can take a look at the final product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I agree however, it is clearly inspired by a porsche 918 and only has 2d artwork. Shawn's design is in full 3d, seems more realized, created with the goals of the 818 in mind, and is more original (though it does resemble a ferrari 458). Either I highly favor both over the current design contest winners and Jim's take. I'd take either in truth hands down.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think both designs are fantastic and would build either of them if made available. This poll asks to choose between them which to be honest I can't do, however, apart from the Olmos car they are streets ahead of the others.

Now if we had the Vantage, Whetstone and Olmos cars as the final production options then in my opinion FFR would have a killer combination on their hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is like choosing between Jessica Alba and Jessica Biel, there is no wrong choice, and each one is a fantasy.

EDIT: I kind of copped out with a joke.

Shawn Whetstone; Looks like what a new Tesla might look like. A very clean electric car, but at least it don't look confused making you guess where the engine might be (front or back). It just sort of looks engine-less. I like it, but it does not make my blood boil.

Vantage: I love it, just don't have an idea how it would look from non-ortho angles. A few 3D images including color changes may help it shake the Porsche 918 ghost which seems to haunt it.

Now this will blow your mind, I did an overlay with the most popular car (X's) to see where they are the same, and where they all differ. Interesting results, not sure what it proves though, it's just interesting.

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x...2i/Automobile/

Last edited by kach22i; 10-31-2011 at 01:04 PM.
    George; Architect, Artist and Designer of Objects

1977 Porsche 911 Targa, 2.7L CIS Silver/Black, owned since 2003
    1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up Truck 4x4 4.3L V6 Black with front and rear spoilers
    1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Post Thanks / Like
    The whetstone 818 IMO is a truly unique and clean design. Maybe his is one of the ones that does not meet the design criteria in terms of the frame dimensions but personally I feel like the Vantage looks sweet from the front and back but very bunched from the side, which is why I said maybe the frame should be lengthened a little if possible.

Even if the frame was lengthened to help the look of the Vantage I'd still go for the look of the Whetstone. Both are great designs though.

Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I'm not a big fan of either of those.

There is something about the whetstone nose that really turns me off especially from the front angles view. The shape of that car is great very ferrari-ish but the front needs enough work that in its current form I wouldn't purchase it.

The Vantage is good looking from the front but the side is far to busy, all of the vents/ unique body styling looks like it was added on. Also, what does the front of the car look like from the side? All of those pics are cut off so you don't see the nose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Smythe View Post
    Personally I'm not a big fan of either of those.

There is something about the whetstone nose that really turns me off especially from the front angles view. The shape of that car is great very ferrari-ish but the front needs enough work that in its current form I wouldn't purchase it.

The Vantage is good looking from the front but the side is far to busy, all of the vents/ unique body styling looks like it was added on. Also, what does the front of the car look like from the side? All of those pics are cut off so you don't see the nose.

Quote Originally Posted by PHATsuby View Post
    The whetstone 818 IMO is a truly unique and clean design. Maybe his is one of the ones that does not meet the design criteria in terms of the frame dimensions but personally I feel like the Vantage looks sweet from the front and back but very bunched from the side, which is why I said maybe the frame should be lengthened a little if possible.

Even if the frame was lengthened to help the look of the Vantage I'd still go for the look of the Whetstone. Both are great designs though.

Ben
    I wish this poll wasn't put up just yet. You guys need to look further into my thread and you will see how the Vantage has changed on the side view and the headlights. The new side view is not busy!

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman7 View Post
    I wish this poll wasn't put up just yet. You guys need to look further into my thread and you will see how the Vantage has changed on the side view and the headlights. The new side view is not busy!

David
    Same here. In addition, it's slanted. Lumping all the 'official' possibilities into one category is really unfair. It seems asking the question is intended to say "Are you with FFR or with us?" Realistically, one of the six getting most of the attention now will be the first roadster, and another one may be the first convertible/targa. O, X, and N all produced coupe/targa versions of their designs. The availability of a top seems to separate us more than the individual designs, as none of them are truly ugly (eye of the beholder, guys.) Although one or two may be too unique or too bland to generate widespread appeal.

A more fair type of poll would be approval voting, where anyone can vote yes or no for each of the designs - seven or eight categories if you include the covered versions. We all have a favorite, but I'd wager there is another version you'd like almost as much. Not sure if the software would allow it, but it would be a much better representation of which cars have the widest appeal.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the Whetstone 818 might be a better design for the eventual high mileage car, the clean lines just scream modern, with low drag coefficent, etc..
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    def. Vantage
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Because design is completely subjective, you will always see difference of opinion when it comes to the design of this car.

If there were serious problems with the gamut of designs we have down-selected to you would see a bit of a skew in the numbers.

But this polling itself basically shows me that we could add more to the mix and take longer and longer to come to a final design...
    Or use what is on the table now and had plenty of time put into... to tweak into a final product designed for beauty AND manufacture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
    This is like choosing between Jessica Alba and Jessica Biel, there is no wrong choice, and each one is a fantasy.

EDIT: I kind of copped out with a joke.

Shawn Whetstone; Looks like what a new Tesla might look like. A very clean electric car, but at least it don't look confused making you guess where the engine might be (front or back). It just sort of looks engine-less. I like it, but it does not make my blood boil.

Vantage: I love it, just don't have an idea how it would look from non-ortho angles. A few 3D images including color changes may help it shake the Porsche 918 ghost which seems to haunt it.

Now this will blow your mind, I did an overlay with the most popular car (X's) to see where they are the same, and where they all differ. Interesting results, not sure what it proves though, it's just interesting.

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x...2i/Automobile/

it proves I would like Xavier's car even more if he had done the more aggressive scoop.

I asked him to try one when he was asking for suggestions early in his design, instead of going with the "open safety pin" design he went with.

of course I am a fan of that big aggressively styled side scoop!

ETA: I voted Vantage..but, Dave needs more than one HoF choice
    Last edited by crackedcornish; 10-31-2011 at 02:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I truly think the vantage is the best looking complete package that I have seen thus far. There is no doubt that shawn's design is also gorgeous but there are still some things that I feel I would nit-pick, where as the vantage seems all around complete. I feel like the vantage design hit the nail on the head as far as ability to be targa, coupe, and roaster, and I wouldn't mind owning any of them. The side reminds me of a 997, the rear of an R8, and the front of a carrera GT, but as a whole the car doesn't directly remind me of anything else. I would feel very glad to say that I owned one, and can see myself having it in my garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 16g-95gsx View Post
    I truly think the vantage is the best looking complete package that I have seen thus far. There is no doubt that shawn's design is also gorgeous but there are still some things that I feel I would nit-pick, where as the vantage seems all around complete. I feel like the vantage design hit the nail on the head as far as ability to be targa, coupe, and roaster, and I wouldn't mind owning any of them. The side reminds me of a 997, the rear of an R8, and the front of a carrera GT, but as a whole the car doesn't directly remind me of anything else. I would feel very glad to say that I owned one, and can see myself having it in my garage.
    Couldnt agree more, and I love the rear (reminding me of hte R8 as well.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 16g-95gsx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adesilva View Post
    Couldnt agree more, and I love the rear (reminding me of hte R8 as well.)
    On the Vantage I did base the headlights (1st version not 2nd) on the Carrera GT (but I custom designed the lights using real pics of Hella lights) The rear was based on the R8, but reshaped, all shading done by hand, I just used the R8 as a guide, used hella tail lights, full screen venting accross.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! amazing how close the vantage and xabier designs in the side view.

Post Thanks / Like

FFR please consider building the Vantage

I have been sitting on the sidelines watching the 818 project with great interest. But then I realized that nobody will know what I would like to see if I don't post it up. I have been tracking my STi for the past seven years and was looking to do something new. Then this project 818 came up and I thought STi power in 1800 lbs, it doesn't get any better than that. Then I saw the four 1/4 scale models and didn't get overly exited about any of them. So I was a little put off on the whole thing. Then I saw the Vantage and thought that is exactly what it should look like. If FFR goes with the Vantage I'm in for sure. I would say that is just my 2 cents worth, but I'm really hoping that it is my $10,000 worth. Cash in hand ready to buy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman7 View Post
    Wow! amazing how close the vantage and xabier designs in the side view.
    And how clearly superior the vantage design is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinspool View Post
    The problem is you are comparing apples with a slice of apple. I like the porsche copycat as much as anyone but have these thoughts to ponder.

1) design synergy. V-man himself said that the looks were based/gleened/sourced from R8, Porsche ect. Then modified to look a little different. In 2d front back and side images this may look freakin cool but in 3d it MIGHT (big might) look a little cut and paste without a cohesion or symmetry to the lines and shape (It won't be a big issue but on a small scale its possible)

2) copyright... im not sure how the international laws play out over there but even in the development stages so much chatter and so many images paralleling the cars shape to other sources could be a long term law suit just waiting to happen no? (not to mention V-mans own admition of copied designs)

3) complex shapes... are these going to be cost effective to manufacture in fiberglass when compared to other options? I don't know but thought I'd ask?

Other than that I really like what i have seen so far...

To V-man. Do you want your design to be seriously considered past a few simple polls and a low numbered internet fan base? Then i would say to have a fighting chance you need to begin the development of a 3D render ASAP, Get in contact with FFR about any forseable issues with manufacture and find out if your designs break any copy right laws or could incite a law suit.

But a 3D render is an absolute MUST and as soon as humanly possible for this design to gain any real credibility or fan following.

So get busy and render your heart out so we can really judge this design.
    Last edited by Flamshackle; 11-01-2011 at 06:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinspool View Post
    Funny thing even though I think the Vantage design is nice, when I saw the overlay I thought the exact opposite.
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    It would be hard to mistake one car for the other, yet they are so close in profile.

It's just weird I tell ya.
    George; Architect, Artist and Designer of Objects

1977 Porsche 911 Targa, 2.7L CIS Silver/Black, owned since 2003
    1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up Truck 4x4 4.3L V6 Black with front and rear spoilers
    1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I actually don't thyink they are similiar in overlay. It is just that they both are following a similiar easthetic. (Small quick sports roadster/coupe)