Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pedal/foot box crazyness

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Pedal/foot box crazyness

I have started work on getting my coyote fly by wire gas pedal into the foot box. It is pretty obvious that if I put it in plane with the brake pedal that when I stomp on the brake I will hit the gas too. With 500+ HP at the crank that could have very negative consequences for me and the poor sap I am trying to avoid. Now that I have the tunnel in and the pedals mocked up I am amazed at how small the space is. My shoe barely fits between the wall of the tunnel and the brake pedal. I am thinking of dropping the gas pedal down about 2.5". It will be pretty low but I think it will allow me to avoid hitting both pedals at once. What have y'all done about this problem.

I suspect there is a lot of experience dealing with this problem. As always, any and all advice is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you need a pedal bender...

-Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    First question: Which Pedals do you have?

If Mustang, do a Google search for "Pedal Bender". If Wilwood, do you have the cast pedals or the modular ones with the screw-on pads?

I have huge feet. I have the cast Wilwood pedals so I got the ol' grinder out and fixed that right up:

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe that all hotrods use the Wilwood pedal box and pedals. There are some old threads about modifying the tunnel allowing the gas pedal to be moved to the right and more room for your foot.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 68GT500MAN View Post
    I believe that all hotrods use the Wilwood pedal box and pedals. There are some old threads about modifying the tunnel allowing the gas pedal to be moved to the right and more room for your foot.
    Doug
    See what you did there? You just reminded me that this is the HOTROD forum, not the Roadster forum!!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad your just ahead of me on the clown shoes and wrong side starter issue. I haven't gotten this fully resolved yet either. So I first have to get tighter to the quick time bellhousing that gained me 2 inches on the starter position (mopar) and 1/2" by design (tight bell). I was trying to get the entire pedal assembly to move over towards the throttle 3/4" for the relaxed left foot cruising position when I ran into the right foot missing a big toe conundrum. I'll conquer it over Christmas break. Seriously, this is a 3D issue and dropping the throttle below the plane of the brake pedal is the common solution and that's why we call it "lifting" on the throttle. The other possibility is converting the paddle shifter to a throttle...no wait...that's the 818...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    See what you did there? You just reminded me that this is the HOTROD forum, not the Roadster forum!!

Whoops, I might've started that illusion. I wish there was some indication on the "front page" as to which forum a post belonged to. On the OTHER site I can hover my mouse and tell by the URL in the status bar what forum the post is from...
    Last edited by kgkeys; 10-30-2014 at 11:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the advice. I finished it tonight and my fat feet seem to fit.

on the floor 1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the advice. I finished it tonight and my fat feet seem to fit.

on the floor 1.jpgpedal box 1.jpg

Director of Engineering, FFR Jesper Ingerslev's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good
    Jesper Ingerslev
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rcotner View Post
    Now that I have the tunnel in and the pedals mocked up I am amazed at how small the space is. My shoe barely fits between the wall of the tunnel and the brake pedal. I suspect there is a lot of experience dealing with this problem. As always, any and all advice is appreciated.
    I am running an automatic so I don't have the clutch pedal added to the mix but the brake leaves so little space to the tranny tunnel that I'm worried about it too.
    I have been looking at the brackets and debating about moving the whole assembly left so the brake pedal is actually where the clutch would be. Just not sure if
    it would be comfortable to drive that way. Anyone else have all the pedals offset, maybe on a Mk or other FF model?