FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 390/auto trans questions

Post Thanks / Like

390/auto trans questions

I have a MK4 with a 302 that I want to pull and do a big horsepower rebuild next year. In the mean time I have a stout 390 I want to install but have a few questions/concerns. Will a C4 w/FE trans adapter hold up to over 400 ft lbs of torque? I'm told the T5 will not. Any A-frame or trans mount mods? I plan to do the swap with the body on. Any suggestions? Should I drop it in as a unit?
    Any help/advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Racecartom

Post Thanks / Like
    It can be done, but, there will be a LOT of modifications needed to accomplish the swap. The first will be engine mounts, next transmission mount, then will come exhaust...not trying to discourage your idea, but it will be a lot of work including welding.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm aware of the all except the welding and the trans mnt. What requires welding and what mods are required for trans mnt?

Post Thanks / Like
    One more thing. What adapter/converter/flex plate should I use?
    Racecartom

Post Thanks / Like
    Certainly you should do what you want to but...the idea of doing welding type mods to engine and trans mounts and then reversing those a year later seems a bit over the top. 302s are a dime per dozen so why not leave yours as-is and find another to build up the way you want. If you are doing much of a build the only thing you would use would be the block and stuff like the front cover etc.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with. Craig S....
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tom,

That's way too much work for what you will be doing. It would be expeditious to spend some money on a Dart block and build a "bullet proof" 302 based engine (maybe 363 stroker) or get a 351 and build it to replace the 302. The advantage of the 351 is an automatic 50 cubes and stronger block with not too much investment. Also, no welding or other mods just an intake and a few other components.

Good luck,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by racecartom View Post
    I have a MK4 with a 302 that I want to pull and do a big horsepower rebuild next year. In the mean time I have a stout 390 I want to install but have a few questions/concerns. Will a C4 w/FE trans adapter hold up to over 400 ft lbs of torque? I'm told the T5 will not. Any A-frame or trans mount mods? I plan to do the swap with the body on. Any suggestions? Should I drop it in as a unit?
    Any help/advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Racecartom
    I used a metal plate extended approx. three inches from the F5 trans mount bolted/welded. Not difficult at all. My engine however is a stroked 460.
    get-attachment-39.aspx.jpeg
    Last edited by GT Trooper; 11-13-2014 at 07:33 PM. Reason: correction