Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Initial Startup Tune for Modified Engines

Post Thanks / Like

Initial Startup Tune for Modified Engines

I am looking for advise on what Cobb off the shelf tune I should run for initial start up or should I tune it right away. Here are my motor specs.

1. 2.5 L hybrid setup- New STI short block with 2.0L heads machined to match 2.5L combustion chamber so stock compression.
    2. 1000cc injectors
    3. Cobb short ram intake
    4. Equal length headers
    5. 20 G turbo
    6. Boyds tank and fuel pump
    7. AWIC
    8. Cobb Access port V3
    9. 2004 WRX ECM

I was told that with this setup the stock tune will run really rough and is probably not recommended. I have looked through the available tune and couldn't find some a tune that was close to my setup. I am only looking to start it up, bleed the coolant system, and do my go cart drive shake down. I have some time while I wait for my wiring harness to get back from iWire but would like to be proactive. I am ready to fire once the harness comes int. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd find a tune with a similar turbo or large injectors. The injectors matter more. If its just idling it doesn't need to be exact. Not sure what you'll find OTS though.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I would get ahold of an actual shop and talk to them about sending you a base tune that would be safe for the mods (mainly injectors) on the engine. TPG would be a good option. Talk with either Nate or Jason there about your needs and they could get you going.

Post Thanks / Like
    What brand injectors?

If you are going to tune it, run a stock maf with the scaler for whatever brand injectors you have on a 2004 WRX base tune with the timing pulled 20% across the board and the wastegate table zeroed out.

That will get you up and running until you tune it.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    PDX tuning can also send you a map for $150
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a good long talk with Flatiron's Tuning and they recommended that whoever does my final tuning puts together a "break in tune" and many times they will deduct a portion out of the final tune bill. Once my wiring harness gets back from iWire I will start it for a minute or so then get a break in tune to shake down the car before the final tune. Even if it is $150 i feel it is money well spent.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you go to rom raider, you can find baseline scalers for all the regular brand injectors.

Your tuner will give you a map with the stock tune for the engine, baseline scaler for the injectors, 20-40% timing pulled and zeroed or close to it WG duty table.

They will however also likely give you a discount off the tune if you purchase that from them. I do.