FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Just started a MK IV build

Post Thanks / Like

Just started a MK IV build

My first post.

I recently purchased a MK IV base kit and am working my way through the decisions to complete the kit. I have the IRS option and am looking for recommendations on brakes, wheels and rear differential. Any thoughts on way to go?

Post Thanks / Like
    In the same boat as you, my kit arrives around Thanksgiving. I am wondering if the 2003-2004 Mustang Cobra IRS differentials are compatible/identical to the 1989-1997 Tbird diffs. Via Ford Racing, if you rebuild one, and install a new Ring and pinion that will cost about $800 in parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Contact Mike Forte here he is a vender and can proboly lead you in the right direction

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Where are you located? I have some new, unused "leftovers" that might interest you.
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Charleston, SC. Am always interested in what is available.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a LOT of good info on this site, the problem is finding it! I was having a problem torquing the castle nuts for the lower ball joint on the front spindle. Called FF tech support and they said "seat it with a hammer!" I read the blog and they said that the problem is that the FF kit spacer bottoms out on the tapered ball joint shaft. They said to use a Dremel and grind a taper on the inside bottom lip so that the spacer would not bottom out on the ball joint shaft collar. Worked like a charm. I am sure there are 1000 other solutions out there. AM just struggling with the FF site to find them!

Let me know if I can hall at all, I have the from and rear suspension almost done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Am starting to install IRS. Anyone know of a video out there that I can look at? Have been searching the web and have not found one yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you every find a source for the parts to complete the IRS? Have you talked to Whitby Motorsports? They are located up in Greensboro, NC. I noticed they have a completion kit for both the 3-link and the IRS. I haven't used them personally, but I've seen a number of others on the forum who have. They are also an official vendor here on the forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, I don't know of a video of the install, but if it's the pumpkin you're wondering about, I believe the easy install goes like this:

- Using a jack or hoist from above, locate the center section below the frame, with the nose pointed straight up.
    - Rotate it so the top is pointed to the passenger side (might work the other way also, not sure).
    - Lift up through the hole at the bottom of the frame, between the front and rear mounts, tilting the nose forward as it clears.
    - Rotate the pumpkin until it's level, and you can bolt it in place.

It's been a couple of years, so my memory is probably rusty, but we used the engine hoist from above to carry the weight, and it went pretty smoothly.

As for setting up the shims on the lower control arms, that I'm not so sure about.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a complete mk4 carpet kit I am not going to use new in the box. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's MK4 View Post
    I'm in Charleston, SC. Am always interested in what is available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tip. Doing this work by myself so moving the pumpkin around is a task. Want to finish with all 10 fingers that I started with. Waiting on the differential so wanted to get some advice before I start on this task. Front suspension went in OK. Am using Wilwood 140-9107 front brakes. That went OK with a little mod of the front spindle arms...the brake mounting bracket would not fit properly so I needed to grind some space for the Wilwood bracket so that the bolts would align with both the bracket and spindle. Next big project is the rear suspension. Still looking at rear brake options.

Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the response...already have the carpet set from FFR so unless I screw that up somehow, will not be needing another one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum and congrats. Roger