Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What seats do you have for the 818S

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased a pair of NRG type R seats for about $440 (delivered). They are reasonable quality, but I wouldn't expect them to last in a daily driver. I mounted them on sliders, and with my Boyd tank, my son (6 feet) and friend (6'3") have enough legroom. The seats themselves are a tight squeeze in the 818--they touch the side panels and the e brake trim. Had I known this, I would have probably looked for something else.

Post Thanks / Like

FX1 Pro seats

Attached are a couple of closer to head on photos of the FX1 Pro in my 818. It is not easy to see from the photos, but there is about 1/2 inch clearance on each side (My fingers just fit). The FX1s might fit, but would rub on both sides.seat 1.jpgseat.jpg I purchased mine through Mike Forte (a FFR vendor). Excellent service from Mike and delivered within a few days of my order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the additional info. The tight spot is around the base? As opposed to the shoulder wings etc.

I'm also planning on using the ffr gas tank. How do you feel the legroom is? I'm 5'11" but have shorter legs. Do you have your pedals installed?
    Last edited by metros; 11-27-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, tight at base. The shoulders are in the open part of the cockpit and I don't think should have clearance issues. I think if you don't intend to move the FX1s you could cram them in. It would not take much bow out the cockpit sides to give them clearance. It is just the top edge of the base that interferes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Sparco and Recaro seem to be both highly regarded, the latter being VERY expensive. Sparco has a relatively affordable entry level seat.
    Careful with this -- almost ALL of the "race seat" manufacturers have 1 or 2 low end models that are actually metal tube framed seats, NOT fiberglass or carbon or kevlar shells. Composite shell seats can be VERY comfortable. Sitting on a bunch of padded beefy metal tubes, not so much. And I mean REALLY not so much.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah someone made that comment about one of the seats on the list.

The worst part about buying seats is very, very few brick and mortar stores stock them, and if they do, they dont stock them all. Shipping is very expensive so it puts you in a difficult situation.

As of now, I'm 90% set on Momo Start Seats. They are fiberglass bucket, the brand has a good reputation, they look good, appear that they will fit in the 818, have side mounts, are light, and have holes for a 5 point harness.

Edit: I got tired of wondering and went ahead and ordered a single Momo Start seat from saferacer.com. Got 10% off the order by googling for a coupon code. Total shipped price was about $400. They are an FIA approved seat.

I probably won't deal with brackets until after the pedal cluster and steering column are mounted but as soon as I get them next week or the week after, I'll post some pics and a write-up about fitment and how tall they are etc. I'm 6' tall with a long torso and am running the FF tank (not the boyd tank). I really believe that 6' folks can pass the broomstick test with a side mount racing seat like this, with the stock gas tank in place. I'll share my results soon.
    Last edited by Hindsight; 11-28-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    anyone got the fixed back fiberglass NRG FRP-300 seats in a L size the web site says the seat is 20" total width. there is about 21" in the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpyguy View Post
    anyone got the fixed back fiberglass NRG FRP-300 seats in a L size the web site says the seat is 20" total width. there is about 21" in the car.
    I have those exact seats (NRG FRP-300, Large); they fit snug, but no interference and you can mount them very low and/or reclined if you want. I got them from Erik (33 Machine) who also has them in his 818e. You can see them here.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the momo start seat in the 818. It fits well. It is very low and I can't imagine another seat getting any lower than this (just a fiberglass bucket with a side mount so it can basically sit right on the frame).

I'm 6' 155lbs, but have a long torso and short legs. This will probably suit me well from a pedals standpoint, but not well from a roll bar clearance standpoint. With the seat leaned back around 20 degrees or so, I have 1.5 to 2" of clearance between my head and the roll bar. That's cutting it pretty close. Not sure it will be ok with a helmet but I need to get the windshield installed before I can do the broomstick test which will be more telling.

The seat can be leaned back quite a ways further than 20 degrees. It fits me well and would probably fit someone a bit larger than me comfortably (I have about a 30" waist and I would guess this would fit someone up to a 33 just fine - larger may be ok but could be tight). The foam is softer than I would like and even at my low weight I can feel it completely compressed in some areas, but time in the seat on the road will tell if it's actually comfortable or not. The seat weights 20lbs even. Side to side clearance appears good but won't know 100% until the doors are in place. Sitting in it reclined, I feel like the shifter is going to be way too far forward, but I guess I'd have the same issue with any seat. The only other concern is that my shoulders just cover the shoulder harness holes... they are too low for my long torso. However, the holes are pretty tall and I think I can probably just make the suggested 10 degree downward mounting point for the shoulder harness behind the seat. If the holes prove to be too low, then I can always cut the holes larger with a dremel, and then make a new larger trim bezel using a 3D printer.

Flat/vertical mount:

~20 degree layback mount:
    Last edited by Hindsight; 12-03-2014 at 06:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up ordering a pair of Corbeau fx1 pro seats on black friday to take advantage of the sales. The waist fitment was fine. unfortunately the shoulder slots are way too low for me, even without the bottom cushions. That was one measurement I hadn't really taken into account as previous bucket seats were perfect when my waist fit properly. Live and learn.

Any Northern VA or mid-atlantic builders looking for a pair of Corbeau Fx1 pro (black cloth)? One arrived today and one is arriving tomorrow, new, in the boxes and wrapping. Otherwise I'll be paying to ship them back.

Anybody that has the Bimarco Futura seats care to measure the seat to shoulder slots for me?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Metros, the shoulder slots on the FX1 Pro look REALLY high (meaning: if they are as high as they look, do you think there are many more seats out there that would fit you from a harness slot standpoint?). I have the same problem though, as I described in my post above yours. Given my long torso, I am doubtful I will ever find a set of seats that have the harness hole in the right spot. There are so many things to consider when it comes to seats that I've given up on finding the "perfect" pair that do everything right so I'm going with close enough and trying to figure out what I can do to make them better.

Have you considered opening the harness slots up? The idea I had was to remove the plastic trim piece that surrounds the slot, open the holes up (or even relocate them), and then use a 3D printer to make a new set of harness slot trim bezels. I've never 3D printed anything but my brother in law has one and based on the stuff I've seen come off a 3D printer, it seems like this would work.
    Last edited by Hindsight; 12-05-2014 at 09:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did some measurements. From hard shell seat surface to bottom of opening is 25.5". If I don't use a cushion then ideally the height would be 26.5" and if I want to ride in comfort then 27.5" would be the actual ideal. The seat backs don't really seem very high to me. My past bucket seats the back has come up just a little higher.

I'm going to return these and continue to look for an ideal seat. Comfort and performance will both be dependent on fitment/installation quality. I'm hoping to see the Bimarco Futura seats fit me better. Right now it's hard to tell with the measurements that I've found online.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Metros, what is it from the seat to the top of the shoulder slots with the foam intact? Why are you measuring from the bottom of the opening instead of the top?

I just measured my momo start and it's 26" from seat cushion to top of shoulder slot.

Post Thanks / Like
    To give myself a little buffer. My measurement is the minimum height.

The 2 seats are probably pretty close to the same measurement to shoulder slot height.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah ok, that makes sense. Well if you find something with the slots around 27 - 27.5" or so, let me know. That's about what I'm going to need as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Will share when I find something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hindsight - Mechie has Bimarco Futura seats and is going to take that measurement for us. I found a really old thread on a VW forum talking about the futura seats and the shoulder slots should fall right in the range that we're looking for. Just going to have Craig confirm that measurement when he has a moment.

Shameless plug for everybody else.

Pair of Corbeau fx1 pro seats for sale - save money! http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...410#post180410

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, thanks for keeping me posted.

Edit: I did some checking into the Bimarco seats and am not sure they would work for me. Seems they are built for around a 34" or 34+" waist size. I'm only a 30 so while these might be tall enough for me, they will be too wide.

I'll probably just stick with the Momo and cut some new holes in them if the harness looks far too low once everything is installed.
    Last edited by Hindsight; 12-06-2014 at 10:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone installed the Sparco Evo II seats? I like the feel but the specs look like they may be about an inch too wide.

Post Thanks / Like
    The measurements are in! Craig has measured the Bimarco Futura for anyone interested - the center of the shoulder slots are 26" off the cushion and 27.5" if he compresses the cushion all the way. That makes me confident that the seat will fit me and provide a good location for the harnesses for my body. I may have to trim the cushion just a touch but it depends on how much it compresses just from my backside.

Hindsight - You could always add some side bolster/cushioning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillig View Post
    Has anyone installed the Sparco Evo II seats? I like the feel but the specs look like they may be about an inch too wide.
    I have a Sparco Evo II as my passenger seat. It pretty much rests on the aluminum, but it fits.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input. I'm also looking at an OMP seat very similar to the Sparco.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick bump to this thread.

I need to get some seats for my 818. I'm 6;, 190 lbs, 34" waist, so something like the NRGs or the Kirkeys look good. Since I want to be able to do track days, I want a good 5/6 point harness setup.

I noticed that most of the NRG seats and some of the MOMOs don't have the lower cutout for the 5/6th point. It is allowed to have the 5/6th points just go over the seat to the floor, instead of thru the seat? It would seem that you would have a hard time getting the geometry right.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely can not have the sub strap pass in front of the seat. Refer to your harness manufacturer install instructions, or default to what Schroth calls out, should yours neglect to provide it.

Schroth has the Profi ASM series, which is safe as a 4 point, other harnesses used without a functioning sub strap can cause severe organ damage.
    -Andrew

Building 818S/R #297 with Tamra
    08 Mazdaspeed3 | '12 F800R | '97 Miata

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xxguitarist View Post
    Absolutely can not have the sub strap pass in front of the seat. Refer to your harness manufacturer install instructions, or default to what Schroth calls out, should yours neglect to provide it.

Schroth has the Profi ASM series, which is safe as a 4 point, other harnesses used without a functioning sub strap can cause severe organ damage.
    That makes sense.. which is why I am surprised to see so many seats that don't have the 5/6th harness holes in them.

If you look at the FX1 Pro (http://corbeau.com/fx1-pro.html), it does not show the lower slots for the 5/6th harness... yet the video and page claim they are compatible with 5 or 6 point harnesses...

*EDIT* Found another picture:

You can see the slot in that picture.

Does anyone know if the NRG seats are similar? (as in they have that hole, just hard to see in the pictures).

*EDIT again*... Found this picture here on FF:

Looks similar to the above picture with the sub strap going in between the front cushion.

So I need to decide between the NRG and the FX1 Pro.
    Last edited by sponaugle; 04-23-2015 at 01:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sponaugle View Post
    Quick bump to this thread.

I need to get some seats for my 818. I'm 6;, 190 lbs, 34" waist, so something like the NRGs or the Kirkeys look good. Since I want to be able to do track days, I want a good 5/6 point harness setup.

I noticed that most of the NRG seats and some of the MOMOs don't have the lower cutout for the 5/6th point. It is allowed to have the 5/6th points just go over the seat to the floor, instead of thru the seat? It would seem that you would have a hard time getting the geometry right.

Thoughts?
    FYI... You're about the same size as me, and I fit well in the large sized NRGs. They're not FIA certified, but do have a sub belt slot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    FYI... You're about the same size as me, and I fit well in the large sized NRGs. They're not FIA certified, but do have a sub belt slot.
    Cool. It looks like when you buy the NRG, it comes with a side mount bracket. Did you use that bracket to attach to the 818 Frame?

It looks like both the NRG and the FX1 Pro are not FIA certified. If I remember correctly, that means at some track events I would need to have a rear seat brace, correct?
    Last edited by sponaugle; 04-23-2015 at 02:11 PM.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the cheapest momo seat (the "Start") and it has the cutout for the 5/6 harness. I feel the seat is a good value and is comfortable for the short amount of time I've sat in it in my house, but I will say it's a little small. I have a 30" waist and it's comfortable. 32" would fit ok but 34" might be pushing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by K3LAG View Post
    Sparco Chrono Road seats in mine. They are the medium size ones rather than the standard size. The medium size are slightly smaller.

Attachment 35409

Larry
    Are these the black and gray version? I like the way they look very much.
    818S Chassis #288 2.5L 323hp
    Ordered: 9/19/14 Received Kit: 11/2/14 First Start: 5/31/15 First Drive: 6/7/15 Registered: 3/10/2016 Completed: 2/10/2017
    joshuajach.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the cheapest momo seat (the "Start") and it has the cutout for the 5/6 harness. I feel the seat is a good value and is comfortable for the short amount of time I've sat in it in my house, but I will say it's a little small. I have a 30" waist and it's comfortable. 32" would fit ok but 34" might be pushing it.
    I've got the older version of the same seat and am a 34" waist, I'd agree it's a snug fit but that's how I like it.
    IMAG0782.jpg

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! I didn't know anyone else was using them. My only complaint is that to get my head down, I have them at such an angle that the top of the headrest contacts the rollbar. This wastes a lot of space to move the seat back and my head is still not as low as I'd like it. I think I'll pass the broomstick test but not with a helmet on. Unfortunately for me, I think cutting out the rollbar and welding a new higher one in is my only option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Cool. It looks like when you buy the NRG, it comes with a side mount bracket. Did you use that bracket to attach to the 818 Frame?
    Yes, the sidemounts work well, however do not line up with the x-tubes underneath for the mounting points, so you'll need to add some sort of weld or bolt in attachment points.

It looks like both the NRG and the FX1 Pro are not FIA certified. If I remember correctly, that means at some track events I would need to have a rear seat brace, correct?
    It should be fine for autocross and HPDE as OEM seats can be used in those cases, and that's all I'll I'll be doing with mine. I'm not sure about w2w or 1/4mile track use, but would go for a certified containment seat if that's your plan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea.. that might be a bit tight, although I prefer a seat that is a good hold. Something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Yes, the sidemounts work well, however do not line up with the x-tubes underneath for the mounting points, so you'll need to add some sort of weld or bolt in attachment points.
    It should be fine for autocross and HPDE as OEM seats can be used in those cases, and that's all I'll I'll be doing with mine. I'm not sure about w2w or 1/4mile track use, but would go for a certified containment seat if that's your plan.
    Ok. I figured I would have to make something to connect to the chassis. In looking, a lot of seats are not FIA approved, and I'll likely just be doing standard open track days so I should be ok.

I have the boyd tank and the rear wall moved back about 5 inches, so I should be able to push whatever seat I get back far enough.

Thanks for the help guys.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    What would be best choice for daily driver?
    818S #343 Delivered 5-20-2015
    First Start 10-17-2015
    First Drive 10-17-2017 ( 100 feet back and forth until I can get off driveway)
    First Drive with a non leaking tuned motor 11-12-2015 (wow)
    Passed NJ State constructed inspection 8/30/2016

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a pair of the base line NRG in my 818S. The normal width fits me fine (I am slim), but, if I were to do it again, I would buy the wider seat for the passenger side. Many middle aged butts will not fit in the normal width NRG.

Post Thanks / Like
    do you know the NRG style # of your seats?
    818S #343 Delivered 5-20-2015
    First Start 10-17-2015
    First Drive 10-17-2017 ( 100 feet back and forth until I can get off driveway)
    First Drive with a non leaking tuned motor 11-12-2015 (wow)
    Passed NJ State constructed inspection 8/30/2016

Post Thanks / Like
    I think FRP 310

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on cobra clubman pro and corbeau gt8 seats? A pair of each of these have become avail locally and I'm considering on putting in an offer.

http://www.motorsportseats.com/corbeau/gt8.html

http://www.motorsportseats.com/cobra/clubman.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Bumping this up. Anyone want to show off their seats with some pictures?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some pics of my Momo Start seat with G-Force 6-point harnesses. I have a pair of these but the other seat is out for better access to the ECU and wiring right now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast