Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Front Upper Control Arm Ball Joints

Post Thanks / Like

Front Upper Control Arm Ball Joints

Tried installing my ball joints but they stop short of seating by about 1/4". Should they go all the way in?
    Last edited by 2FAST4U; 11-11-2014 at 08:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, any secret? I'm using a huge wrench and they just won't budge. Add a 4' section of pipe?

Thanks
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Deleted
    Last edited by 2FAST4U; 11-11-2014 at 09:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get rid of the FFR supplied Mev-O-Tech made in China junk. Their dimensions are all over the place. Get Moog 772s and they will work great.
    See my thread on this very issue.
    Last edited by NukeMMC; 11-11-2014 at 10:03 PM.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    put the ball joints in the freezer for an hour....right before you install them heat the control arm....assemble....goes in really easy!
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this close enough?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FAST4U View Post
    Is this close enough?

You have to drive it, not me. Personally, I wouldn't trust the spindles to seat evenly unless the balljoints were seated fully. Having the spindles not at the same height will have you chasing your tail when it comes time to do final alignment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. When I get the body off I'll add a 4' section of pipe to the wrench. The other side I'll try Erik's method. If all fails it's off to a machine shop

Post Thanks / Like
    Just remember that at some point you may need to remove them. The Moog' s are $15 each at Summit. Probably a bit less than what a machine shop will charge.
    If you have dial calipers, measure IDs (minor diameter) of the UCA sockets and ODs of the ball joints. Compare both major and minor thread diameters of the ball joints to each other. You may be surprised. I was more disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to purchase this Snapon ball joint socket - $90

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....e=snapon-store
    Last edited by 2FAST4U; 11-11-2014 at 11:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Before spending money on different joints, machine shop services or high dollar tools try this---I clamp the ball joint firmly into my big bench vice then thread the control arm onto it, effectively using the arm as it's own wrench. I've never had a problem getting them to seat fully using this method.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you add a little heat to the A-arm part it should help. The aluminum should expand faster than the steel ball joint part.

Good luck,

Bill Lomenick
    Chotis Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    The socket portion of the UCA is steel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Before spending money on different joints, machine shop services or high dollar tools try this---I clamp the ball joint firmly into my big bench vice then thread the control arm onto it, effectively using the arm as it's own wrench. I've never had a problem getting them to seat fully using this method.

Good luck,
    Jeff
    By the looks of the flats on the ball joints with the cross hatched impressions in them, he did that, as I did also. As stated in my thread, it required over 250ftlbs to seat the "easier" one on my build, while the one that didn't seat took 360ftlbs to remove. Some of these MevOTech ball joints are THAT bad, as I wasn't the only one to replace them with Moog units that threaded in with no issue.

Tech Support Manager, FFR Tony Zullo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys Tony @ffr if you have trouble installing the ball joint what i do is just sand or wire wheel the coating off , and it will go right in!! The coating is thicker on some of them so thats the reason why they go in tough .. Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zullo View Post
    Hi guys Tony @ffr if you have trouble installing the ball joint what i do is just sand or wire wheel the coating off , and it will go right in!! The coating is thicker on some of them so thats the reason why they go in tough .. Thanks!!
    A little late for me on the first ball joint. Why not add that to the manual?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NukeMMC View Post
    By the looks of the flats on the ball joints with the cross hatched impressions in them, he did that, as I did also. As stated in my thread, it required over 250ftlbs to seat the "easier" one on my build, while the one that didn't seat took 360ftlbs to remove. Some of these MevOTech ball joints are THAT bad, as I wasn't the only one to replace them with Moog units that threaded in with no issue.
    Yep! Tried that but didn't succeed. Had better results mounting them and using a huge crescent wrench

Tech Support Manager, FFR Tony Zullo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to remove them i can send you new ones, and ill take the coating off..

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't even think the one will come out. I'm going to try your suggestion on the other one

Note: used a wire wheel and removed the coating on the ball joint threads as suggested. I was able to thread it further freehand, but it still stops 1/16" from seating using the vise method in the manual. I'll just get the ball joint tool, a 3/4" breaker bar, and a 3 ft section of pipe to get them to seat
    Last edited by 2FAST4U; 11-12-2014 at 12:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    PM me an address and I will loan you my tool. Just send it back when you're done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NukeMMC View Post
    PM me an address and I will loan you my tool. Just send it back when you're done.
    What kind of tool?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome. Sent you a pm

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bill

I just installed my ball joints on Sunday with a socket similar to the post here purchased from Summit for $16.95. downside it was a 3/4 drive and had to get adapter to 1/2.

Mine treaded in easily almost to end where the socket finished it up flush. lucky for me because I had already applied Blue Loctite to the threads. If you need I can Pop the socket into the mail down to you also
    Rick
    #8442 MK4 Complete kit, 331 Stroker, T5, 3.73 Posi 3-Link, 15", Goodyear Billboards
    Order 8/22/14 Del 11/7/14 First Start 3/9/15 Go Cart 3/14/15 Paint 2/25/16
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8442-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Rick, but NukeMMC beat you to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my ball joints firmly seated today, thanks to NukeMMC, who was kind enough to send me the ball joint socket tool to use. Made the job so easy.

Again, thanks NukeMMC.