BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Floor panels

Post Thanks / Like

Floor panels

Quick question for you guys from an 818R builder: Have any of you encountered any race sanctioning regulations or tech inspection issues concerning the aluminum floor footbox panels in the challenge series?

The 818R has a steel panel welded in, but it's warped and pops up and down due to the heat from the welds. I'm thinking of cutting it out and riveting/fastening an aluminum plate for a footbox floor panel, probably something thick but no thicker than 1/8". I just want to make sure I'm not screwing myself by doing so.

Thanks!

Challenge Series Director FFSpecRacer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    No problem with NASA. But many of us have added an extra 1/8 to 1/4" aluminum plate under the driver footbox. Never know what you may run over that close to the ground.
    Brian [email protected]
    Great Lakes & Midwest Region Series Director

Post Thanks / Like
    In both my challenge car and in the 818R that I'm building I use 1/8 mild steel floors (yes it adds weight but also safety) for seat area and foot area as I have seen what comes up from the track and how it can severely damage someone's foot. I have not seen any rules that require this though for road racing.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress