Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Front upper "A" arm play

Post Thanks / Like

Front upper "A" arm play

Working on building an MKII kit that was never finished. Going through what has already been done. While checking the front end, I noticed when I grab the top of the tire and pull, there seems to be play in the back of the control arm. The play is in the back where the grease fitting is on the part that mounts to the frame. The front one seems ok. This is on both left and right hand sides. Is the play normal? I don't think it should move at all, as this would affect the alignment when driving.

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to tighten the nuts that capture the pivot at the ends of the cross shafts.

Per SPC (previously Pole Position, the Mk2 UCA supplier):
    "There is no "correct" torque value for these pivots. Tightening the Delrin bushing too much will damage the bushing. Tighten the supplied locking nut until the washer is snug against the Delrin bushing and there is no side to side play along the cross shaft. Recheck in 1000 miles to make sure there is no play and tighten slightly if necessary. After that, it is good to check and grease them at every oil change."

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff - I thought that might be the case, but didn't want to mess it up. I will try to tighten it this weekend and see what happens.

Sean

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sean,

If it is a MKII it probably would have snap rings instead of nuts on the end of the cross-shaft. If the joint is loose in that area I would replace it. Also I would double check all the jam nuts and clevis nuts to be sure they are tight as well, if any of them are loose it can give some rotational movement on the part you are worried about.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jim - yes there are snap rings there. I find it hard to believe that the joints are bad, since the car has never been driven... Also weird that BOTH driver and passenger side are moving at the same location. The front joint has no play, but both rears do.