FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 80% sold on building an 818S. What donors work best?

Post Thanks / Like
    Axle Roulette is always fun!
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Axle Roulette, Great description: It took me 6 axles but I did have to chuck the first two because I went from an inny 05 to an outy 02 style when I added the Quaife... So I wasted two extra axles, better than some I guess
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Hong Kong and bought a used 2002 WRX for $3,000 USD. 60,000 miles and clean car. It is a JDM car. The 2.0 in these has big port heads and AVCS. They make 250hp stock (280hp if it were an STi in '02). When it is retired from daily driver status it will become and 818 donor. There are places online that sell JDM car parts or you can do it yourself if you want. A lot of the Japanese cars are inexpensive. Beware though, you cannot bring the whole car in without customs problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hijack but I'm in the same boat.... very interested in an 818C project but looking for a starting point.

I'm kinda new to Subaru (bought a 2015 Outback a year ago), so I'm still learning about what's available.
    My plan is to buy a running/driving donor and drive it around while I clean out my garage and order my kit. But what to get, seems to be the most difficult decision thus far.
    In looking at the market, it seems there are 3 engine options...

2.0 turbo
    2.5 na
    2.5 turbo

In reading through this post, not everyone is happy with using turbo but not everyone is happy with the 2.5L, and basically no one is happy with the 2.5 turbo.
    So which is it????

I also read that the best engines to have are the ej207 and ej22T. Which ones are those and which cars did they come in?
    My plan is not a race car but a very capable street car. I want it to be as fast as it looks or should I say... go as good as it shows.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Donor pallet from Wayne is the way I would go if I had to do it again. IMO. I did 2 from donor cars and wished I had done the pallet deal.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by armandodiaz View Post
    and basically no one is happy with the 2.5 turbo.
    I wouldn't say that. A lot of people are running the 2.5 and liking it. More displacement is good and has a better bottom end with more HP potential due to the extra cubes. I've read here and there that there are some aspects about a 2.0 engine that are more reliable than a 2.5 but I know there are some things better on a 2.5 as well (for example, the oil pan). Plenty of people race the 2.5 in WRX-bodied track cars as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm perfectly happy with my EJ25.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, the biggest concerns, I've read had to do with the overheating, head gaskets and inferior deck machining.

Has anyone thought of using a twin turbo. From what I can tell they're were available outside the USA...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-SUBARU-L...3D361337187342

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm also running a 2.5 sti block with 2.0 wrx heads and 18G turbo. You'll find a lot of opinions about which motor is better but for your goal of a capable street machine you'll probably be satisfied with either the 2.0 turbo or 2.5 turbo. Don't get too hung up on motor selection. The reliability of each is highly dependent on many factors (driving habits, mileage, boost, other mods, tune).

EJ205: wrx 2.0 liter
    EJ207: sti 2.0 liter (not sold in the US, these are usually JDM, great option but I haven't worked with this motor so not sure if it will pass OBD2)
    EJ22T: 2.2 liter, I think it came on some of the older imprezas. The EJ22block is fully closed and considered very strong
    EJ255: wrx 2.5 liter
    EJ257: sti 2.5 liter

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info.

I also heard of a twin turbo 2.0L....
    I believe they are available outside the USA....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-SUBARU-L...3D361337187342

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone dealt with the twin turbo? I believe they were available outside the USA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Read into the twin turbos they tend to be slow and not a lot of aftermarket for them. I would stay away. I just imported an Ej207 from Japan. It came with everything including the cluster,ecu, intercooler, Vin tag from the car and a video of it running when it was in the car. Engine is scary clean never seen a used engine this clean before! Ej207 seems to be the best engine to run and the V7 plugs into the 02-03 harness. I would go that route but I'm bias. But I read a lot into it. A USDM Ej22 is boring engine but reliable I have one in my 95 impreza I drive daily and its very reliably strong motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redfogo View Post
    Read into the twin turbos they tend to be slow and not a lot of aftermarket for them. I would stay away. I just imported an Ej207 from Japan. It came with everything including the cluster,ecu, intercooler, Vin tag from the car and a video of it running when it was in the car. Engine is scary clean never seen a used engine this clean before! Ej207 seems to be the best engine to run and the V7 plugs into the 02-03 harness. I would go that route but I'm bias. But I read a lot into it. A USDM Ej22 is boring engine but reliable I have one in my 95 impreza I drive daily and its very reliably strong motor.
    Where did you get the EJ207 v7 from? I am in the planning stages and really leaning in that direction. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen a few of them on EvilBay, with 6sp. Does anyone know if this is a straight bolt on, or will there be mods needed?

Post Thanks / Like
    OK - so I am looking at a EJ207 -it says GC8 type RA engine with a 5 sp trans.

I have tried to read the threads as far as transmission, engine - and still trying to make heads or tail of this.
    Is this a good " drop in " - I dont plan on many mods, it has the motor listed at 280hp, which is fine with me, for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm leaning towards the EJ20 twin turbo... 280HP with sequential turbos, so no lag.
    I would also like mod it to over 300HP. Maybe even a stroker kit

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the 2.5 turbo. I have one in my outback and one in my 818. Both run well. The 818 is overpowered for my purposes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesssss! looks like thats what I'm doing!
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Donor pallet from Wayne is the way I would go if I had to do it again. IMO. I did 2 from donor cars and wished I had done the pallet deal.
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Bought first house with Garage!
    Always been a car enthusiast!
    FFR 818S - Scheduled for delivery!
    To Be CONTINUED!

Post Thanks / Like
    To close this (very old) loop, I just bought an '06 Saab 9-2x aero, so it's the turbo 2.5 for me!

Post Thanks / Like
    And to further close this old loop. I purchased a pallet with a turbo from Wayne. Let the fun begin shortly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12