BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Flat Black Racing Stripes

Post Thanks / Like

Flat Black Racing Stripes

I have a question for the group. I am thinking of a charcoal grey color scheme body with the traditional racing stripes in a satin/flat black.

My question for the group is how does one care for those flat black racing stripes – I mean ya can’t polish/wax a flat paint, can you?
    The Kolonel

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    No you can't polish or wax flat. But I had my 33 done with a satin clear coat over my black and that you can wax. Look at my 33 build thread towards the end to see the satin black and blue 33.

Post Thanks / Like
    Back in the day, a friend of mine had a 71 Roadrunner that had a flat black strobe stripe that went over the roof at the C pillars. Keeping the car waxed and not having a little bit of wax on the stripe was nearly impossible. And it looks terrible when you get wax on it. It would be easier with solid stripes, though. You could always tape them off a couple times a year.

Wallace18s waxable satin may be a good way to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    did you ever get your flat black stripes worked out?
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    My question for the group is how does one care for those flat black racing stripes – I mean ya can’t polish/wax a flat paint, can you?[/QUOTE]

My answer is....I don't care for flat black stripes.....that being said,,, You just can't rub them (it burnishes the surface) or clean them with any mild solvent, sand them, wax them, etc.... you just have to be careful not to have to care for them.....soooo, not caring helps....I guess...da Bat