Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Thinking I may be doing a 65 coupe. Some questions, particularly regarding height!

Post Thanks / Like

Question Thinking I may be doing a 65 coupe. Some questions, particularly regarding height!

This has really solidified in the last coupe days-- particularly when the GT350 mustang was unveiled. Previously none of the engines particularly spoke to me (I prefer low torque, high revving engines), but now there's a factory engine that should fit nicely in the chassis.

So, some questions...
    1) I'm 6'3. One of the primary purposes for this car will be tracking, which means helmets. I'm fairly confident I'll be fine in terms of leg room, as I sit closer than most people (that's never been an issue in any car for me), but I'm pretty concerned about headroom (plus helmet) and it'll have to be a deal breaker if it can't be made to work. So, regarding headroom... how is it? Is it possible to mount the seat lower? How about a helmet budge in the roof in the style of the GT40-- feasible?

2) I will NOT be trailering whatever car I get to and from the track. I do that currently with my race car, and just despise it. Trailering has sucked half the joy of tracking out of the experience for me. So, that means I would need some sort of mini trailer for an extra set of tires (E.g. rain tires), rotors, pads, some tools, and maybe a folding chair. Is it possible to work a mini hitch into the back of the 65 coupe? Ideally something that is invisible when not in use (as in, maybe aimed down behind the rear bodywork, and then a 90º*hitch when I need to use it).

3) Any reason the new GT350 engine shouldn't work? I assume if the coyote engines are working (seems like they are) and this thing fits in the same chassis, it should work... but I'm new to this :roll eyes:

edit:
    4) Why can't I edit my profile/etc on this forum?
    Last edited by Obioban; 11-26-2014 at 02:09 PM.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am 6'3" and I fit but not with a helmet. You would have to do the floor modification some of the track Coupe folks had done. Scan the forum. Best of luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    I am 6'3" and I fit but not with a helmet. You would have to do the floor modification some of the track Coupe folks had done. Scan the forum. Best of luck.
    I can't seem to find any threads on the topic. Suggested search terms or link?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am 6'3" and I can fit with a helmet using an aluminum race seat mounted to the floor as far back as possible. My head is against the roof so I think a Gurney bubble might be in your best interest. Give me a call if you want to talk over track set ups.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
    I can't seem to find any threads on the topic. Suggested search terms or link?
    Here is one example. I found it in 30 secs. Try looking through the posts.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...sp-Coupe-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting, thanks!

Anyone have insight into questions 2 or 3?

Post Thanks / Like
    2) I have been racing for 25 years and i will never drive the car I am racing to the track. I have in the past and it seams every time I do i break something. Can a hitch be put on the car, probably. Should you? Probably not.
    3) I don't see why it won't with some mods, the 5.0 coyote. Having not seen the 5.2 yet but i don't foresee it being much larger. I tend to think that the cost on that engine for the first year or 2 is going to be very very high.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Levy View Post
    2) I have been racing for 25 years and i will never drive the car I am racing to the track. I have in the past and it seams every time I do i break something. Can a hitch be put on the car, probably. Should you? Probably not.
    3) I don't see why it won't with some mods, the 5.0 coyote. Having not seen the 5.2 yet but i don't foresee it being much larger. I tend to think that the cost on that engine for the first year or 2 is going to be very very high.
    I just despise trailering. I've been doing it for the last 5 years and never want to again. If I have an issue, I'll catch a ride come with a friend, bring the trailer back, and then trailer the car home. My hatred for it can't be overstated.

Agreed the 5.2 is going to be pricey. But, it's an engine with the characteristics I like, and there's not really anything else like it in the ford family.
    (and I'd rather start out with a factory engine than try to change the characteristics of an engine to something it wasn't originally)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Levy View Post
    I am 6'3" and I can fit with a helmet using an aluminum race seat mounted to the floor as far back as possible. My head is against the roof so I think a Gurney bubble might be in your best interest. Give me a call if you want to talk over track set ups.
    I'm also going to street drive it, so I don't really want a full alu seat.
    Last edited by Obioban; 11-26-2014 at 08:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The ffr kirkey aluminum race seats are very comfortable IMO. I have driven many highway/street miles in them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Obioban,

Send a PM to Colonial Cobra (Brad) on the other forum. He built a small trailer using the back half of a roadster body and towed it behind his roadster. It would hold tool, extra "stuff" and I believe 4 tires. He trailered it to VIR with me to the Factory Five Nationals in 2004 and 2005. Here are some photos from 05, hard to see, but the trailer is there.
    Brad's is the red car with matching trailer and tonneau.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I installed Ultra-Shield Rally Sport Seats in my roadster and REALLY like them. They are similar to the Kirkeys.
    They have a snap-in cover and you can easily add padding / foam wherever you need it.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebit31 View Post
    Obioban,

Send a PM to Colonial Cobra (Brad) on the other forum. He built a small trailer using the back half of a roadster body and towed it behind his roadster. It would hold tool, extra "stuff" and I believe 4 tires. He trailered it to VIR with me to the Factory Five Nationals in 2004 and 2005. Here are some photos from 05, hard to see, but the trailer is there.
    Brad's is the red car with matching trailer and tonneau.

Rob

Will do, thanks!

I don't even need the trailer to be pretty, just functional. Something like this:

4.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    2) I recall that one of the vendors once offered a hitch mount for a solid-axle Coupe. I am pretty sure it was the vendor that sold billet door hinges for the roadster. I tried to find the vendor and product, but was unable to do so. However, it can be done with a solid-axle Coupe. I have no opinion on whether it is, on balance, a good idea.

I welded a 1 1/4" hitch mount to the IRS cage on my Coupe. The idea was to use it as a mounting point for a towing eye, rather than for towing. There are other ways to do that; what I did is probably not the best way. Regardless, what I did would also work well for a trailer hitch. Here are a few pictures.

Coupe mounting point.JPG

Coupe mounting point 2.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob McCrea View Post
    2) I recall that one of the vendors once offered a hitch mount for a solid-axle Coupe. I am pretty sure it was the vendor that sold billet door hinges for the roadster. I tried to find the vendor and product, but was unable to do so. However, it can be done with a solid-axle Coupe. I have no opinion on whether it is, on balance, a good idea.

I welded a 1 1/4" hitch mount to the IRS cage on my Coupe. The idea was to use it as a mounting point for a towing eye, rather than for towing. There are other ways to do that; what I did is probably not the best way. Regardless, what I did would also work well for a trailer hitch. Here are a few pictures.

Coupe mounting point.JPG

That's an awesome idea, actually, for a double purpose for it.

Mine will be IRS, so looks like that's a solid route to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a hitch I made on our coupe to tow a little trailer for the two One Lap of America races we have driven the coupe in. Over 7000 miles using this hitch and no problems.

As far as height goes, search for Karen's second race car build. She dropped the driver's side floor to fit one of her drivers that was 6'4" tall. Didn't look that hard to do if you were good with a torch and welder.

JC
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob McCrea View Post

Coupe mounting point.JPG

Car is coming along nicely Jacob.

JC
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13

Post Thanks / Like
    I found the post of Karen's build. Shows the drop seat mod and the door bars.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/entry...lding-a-Legend

JC

Post Thanks / Like
    Look on the other forum in the autocross section. There are quite a few roadsters w/ trailer hitches in the DC area. Most use the harbor freight trailer. Caution on that is repack the wheel Bearings w/ good grease instead of the snot they use in China. The long piece leading to the hitch is a "C" section. Box it in or replace w/ a rectangular tube.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    071 (2).jpg You can add a gurney bubble, I'm 6'2", with the seat, flat on the floor and tilted back 10 degrees plus the bubble I have room for a helmet. I used a satellite dish as a mold for the bubble then positioned it over my head and cut the hole.