BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 4.6 2V advice

Post Thanks / Like

4.6 2V advice

Greetings from the Finger Lakes region of NY. I recently purchased an 02 Mustang GT as a donor for a Roadster. I've noticed that there aren't a lot of 4.6 2V builds and I was looking for any advise on using this generation Mustang as a donor. Are there any problems or peculiarities associated with such a build? Is the power steering too fast, or sensitive for a roadster? Will equal length shorty headers, like those from BBK or Magnaflow, fit? Do I lose a lot of foot well room compared to a SBF? These are just a few of the questions I have. Any help from anyone who's done a similar build would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very dooable and a great option. I receomend 99 or newer as they will have the performance improved heads, prior to 99 is less desirable.

you will need a different oil pan and pickup , shorty headers will work. PS with Hydrboost works well for street use, also use the power brakes.

The rear axle is too wide for 10.5 inch wheels with FFR standard offsets, but the 9's can be used on all four corners without issue. If you want to use 10.5 wheels the axle can be shortened to fox length or a fox axle can be sourced, I fox axle is 87-93 mustang and is 59.25 inches wide.

Drivers side footbox is a bit a smaller. If you send me an e-mail I can send you some pics of a few I have built with 4.6 SOHC motors.

You will get lots of opinions, mine is these are great motors, make excellent super driveable roadsters. I would not hesitate ,
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all of the input. I guess coyote and traditional engines get more exposure. With 140K on the engine it's going to get a full rebuild, the extent of which will depend on the condition of the block and crank. What are your thoughts on the 3650 tranny? Thank you again for your input.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used the 3650 in all my mod motor donor builds never had any issues.

I love the coyotes but all new gets pretty expensive pretty quick. You can build a great car with a 2001-2004 gt or 2003-2004 Mach 1
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again.