Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: To Automatic or not to Automatic

Post Thanks / Like

To Automatic or not to Automatic

So here lies my in my problem I have driven automatic transmission cars & trucks my hole life and the closest I have ever gotten to a
    manual was on my Harley Bike that I crashed over 3 years ago coming back from Sturgis, SD and some time in a parking lot with neighbor my a jeep.
    Now I like the idea of a manual Transmission in a sports car and I'm willing to learn to drive a manual but my purpose of my build will be a
    weekend driver and on a good day-to-day commuter car on a good day like when I had my bike.

Is there any benefit to go manual or should I stay with a Automatic Transmission?

Now how hard is it to integrate a 4EAT transmission?

I do know to convert it to 2WD you just provided power to a solenoid witch disconnected the rear output drive of the
    transmission but also is the transmission to long to fit in the 818 in the current configuration, do you need to remove the RWD output from the Transmission?

What difficulties to you run into when you try to connect the gear shifter to the transmission with the transmission now in the rear of the car?

Can you use the OEM TCU or should I use a after market TCU and if so witch one will work with a 4EAT?

Then my last question could you also upgrade to a 5EAT with the sports shifter built in and add Paddle shift to it as well?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to reach out to Aloha 818 for some tips, he's got a running automatic 818:

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post120342

I personally would go manual all the way, it's just a more fun driving experience. But that's just my preference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you rode a bike, you have the experience. The controls may be different, but shifting is trivial; driving a manual well is all about the feel of matching throttle input with clutch engagement. If you could do that with your hands, you can do it with your feet!

I agree with STiPWRD; go for the stick. I personally have never owned an automatic anything. I'd be open to a dual-clutch gear box; I got to drive a bunch of Porsches with PDK's on the track recently... very nice and faster than could row my own. However, I personally cannot stand the feel of a fluid clutch/torque converter (slush box), although modern ones are getting better.