Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel dampers/regulators(N008 question)

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel dampers/regulators(N008 question)

Hey all,

I'm a little confused on what I should need for fuel dampers. I have one damper, which I believe was on my return line. On my 2012 WRX, I have one on each line.

http://img-2011-12.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/26/ybamarer.jpg

Anyone know what and where to put them?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same question.
    Did you get your question answered?
    I believe i have read that the damper basically regulates the pressure back to the tank, so I was planning to put one between the fuel line connection on the engine and the line back to the tank.
    It would be good to get confirmation that this is correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley818 View Post
    I have the same question.
    Did you get your question answered?
    I believe i have read that the damper basically regulates the pressure back to the tank, so I was planning to put one between the fuel line connection on the engine and the line back to the tank.
    It would be good to get confirmation that this is correct.
    My 04 forester XT had one damper in the tank right after the fuel pump.
    There was a second damper in the return line near the front left shock tower.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    This has been covered ad nauseam on the IWSTI or NASIOC forums. You might want to research there to verify my comments. Dampers do not regulate, they only damp the pressure pulses.
    Most think they are a good idea. Some who have removed them said they have had issues with a lean condition on one or more cylinders because of pressure harmonics messing with the injector's ability to feed enough gas at the right time. I think some may have been witch-hunting.
    I think all bets are off if you fool with the system (ie, not stock*). If you've done nothing else to your system or nothing more than a fuel pump upgrade I would leave them/it in.

There are many that run without them without issue (like me). I ran one damper on my highly modified engine and fuel delivery system. Then, on the next round, I eliminated it. I don't have any of the issues some have reported.
    I have big injectors, Boomba rails and distribution block, AN-6 everything and I reamed out the end of the fuel inlet line so it was not necked down and restrictive. Essentially I have no restrictions below .312".
    *Oh... one key to success if you want to eliminate them is likely the aftermarket adjustable, variable, fuel pressure regulator, which I highly recommend. This is because the FPR dampens the pulsing.
    There are several good ones. I use Aeromotive. I also mount a liquid filled fuel pressure gauge so it doesn't self-destruct due to vibration. I highly recommend you mount the FPR off the engine because of vibrations. On the engine it will eventually wallow out the ball seat.
    027-13109.jpg510YXp1o3VL._SX355_.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    This has been covered ad nauseam on the IWSTI or NASIOC forums. You might want to research there to verify my comments. Dampers do not regulate, they only damp the pressure pulses.
    Most think they are a good idea. Some who have removed them said they have had issues with a lean condition on one or more cylinders because of pressure harmonics messing with the injector's ability to feed enough gas at the right time. I think some may have been witch-hunting.
    I think all bets are off if you fool with the system (ie, not stock*). If you've done nothing else to your system or nothing more than a fuel pump upgrade I would leave them/it in.

There are many that run without them without issue (like me). I ran one damper on my highly modified engine and fuel delivery system. Then, on the next round, I eliminated it. I don't have any of the issues some have reported.
    I have big injectors, Boomba rails and distribution block, AN-6 everything and I reamed out the end of the fuel inlet line so it was not necked down and restrictive. Essentially I have no restrictions below .312".
    *Oh... one key to success if you want to eliminate them is likely the aftermarket adjustable, variable, fuel pressure regulator, which I highly recommend. This is because the FPR dampens the pulsing.
    There are several good ones. I use Aeromotive. I also mount a liquid filled fuel pressure gauge so it doesn't self-destruct due to vibration. I highly recommend you mount the FPR off the engine because of vibrations. On the engine it will eventually wallow out the ball seat.
    027-13109.jpg510YXp1o3VL._SX355_.jpg
    Are you using the distribution block from Boomba? I've got the same rails but currently have my stock FPR in the distribution block. Will the Aeromotive FPR also work in that same location?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have a Boyd tank (with the Aeromotive 340 pump) and I added an inline filter, but the rest of my fuel system is stock. However, I didn't get any dampers from my donor. The OEM FPR is on the rails, correct. So I might consider adding a damper(s), but I could be OK without. Where would be ideal, or does it matter? On the supply line between the filter and rail? one on return as well/instead? Any recommendations? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would try it without a damper. If you install one or more then between the pump and the distribution point to the injectors would be the place. Won't really matter exactly where.

STiPWRD: re-read my post.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would try it without a damper. If you install one or more then between the pump and the distribution point to the injectors would be the place. Won't really matter exactly where.
    I kept the damper in fuel tank. All is running great.
    P1050087s4.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    STiPWRD: re-read my post.
    So you put AN-6 fittings and a tube between the boomba distribution block and aeromotive FPR, gotcha, just trying to clarify

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if this will be helpful to anyone, but it's how I did my STi.
    engine 10-14.jpg