Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Aeromotive pump and the fuel controller

Post Thanks / Like

Aeromotive pump and the fuel controller

I like many others have opted to go with the Boyd tank, that being said I think some of us (like me) retained the fuel pump controller. I have go-karted and haven't seen any issues but has anyone else seen any problems? My concern is that the Aeromotive pump may not like reduced voltage.

Post Thanks / Like
    From my knowledge of the system, the fuel pump controller regulates the ground to create the appropriate 33%, 66% or 100% duty cycle of the fuel pump. I've been beating the crap out of mine with the OEM fuel controller and the Boyd tank / Aeromotive pump. Zero issues to date and I've put a few track weekends on it, too.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    How much boost are you running? That's what will make the pump work really hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quiny, I was also concerned about this,look at this controller from Aeromotive Fuel Systems.looks like they are a step ahead of us.
    Here's the link http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-pa...ed-controller/

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    T hx for posting the link. They say on that page that reducing voltage is terrible for pump motors but if thats true, I wonder why the factory does it and doesnt have tons of fuel pump failures in all their vehicles?

Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting, looks like they are controlling motor speed with frequency instead of voltage, something like an AC drive except using a square wave. Their statement does have some merit, lower voltage = higher current as long as power stays the same. Higher current tends to burn the commutator and brushes which in turn cause high resistance that could stall the motor at lower voltage. Do we know for sure that the stock controller doesn't work the same way? I just assumed reduced voltage, I may need to blow the dust off my scope.

Post Thanks / Like
    ROMraider calls it "Fuel Pump Duty Cycle". If it's named correctly, then the OEM setup does not vary voltage - it does the same thing the Aeromotive unit linked does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    How much boost are you running? That's what will make the pump work really hard.

I'm running around 18 psi at peak boost.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    ROMraider calls it "Fuel Pump Duty Cycle". If it's named correctly, then the OEM setup does not vary voltage - it does the same thing the Aeromotive unit linked does.
    Yeah the oem controller is the same thing.
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    If it's considered duty cycle, it's likely a PWM for the supply voltage. It's not "reduced" except if you average over a time. It's just switched, quickly (square wave), so that the pump is on for say, 33% of the time, and you get 1/3 of the fuel (aprox) vs connecting the pump to the battery.

Dimming LEDs works the same. You won't get light out of them at half the voltage/current, so you switch them on & off quickly. Your eye averages it out. The fuel flow in the tubes does the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have a picture of the fuel pump controller for 02 WRX. I have my controller somewhere but have to go looking. The service manual I have is no help.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CU9DZ View Post
    Does anyone have a picture of the fuel pump controller for 02 WRX. I have my controller somewhere but have to go looking. The service manual I have is no help.
    Dave
    Here is an ebay picture of an 02wrx fuel pump controller
    57.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I found mine. Thanks. Now I just have to untangle the mess when it gets warmer.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the fuel controller really needed if you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.and Walbro pump ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I know some have hard wired their fuel pump directly to 12V and it works but it will wear out your pump faster running it at full power all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I better get one to be safe. Are all years 02-07 the same?? I basically have a 07 setup. But may have a 02 controller laying around

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Samiam1017 View Post
    I guess I better get one to be safe. Are all years 02-07 the same?? I basically have a 07 setup. But may have a 02 controller laying around
    I can't see why an 02 controller wouldn't work, especially if you're using a Walbro or other aftermarket pump.

Post Thanks / Like
    thx found an 02 unit