Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 3/4" Sq Transmission Tunnel Tube Cut for TKO 600 Mid Shifter

Post Thanks / Like

3/4" Sq Transmission Tunnel Tube Cut for TKO 600 Mid Shifter

Guys,

I'm sending my chassis out for some welding mods. One of the mods is relocating the 3/4 in square transmission tube required to accommodate the Mike Forte's TKO 600 mid shifter. I don't have the transmission as yet. I have 2bking post showing the mod but there is another photograph out there showing the 3/4 in square tube section removed with the transmission installed. I want to give that photograph to my fabricator/welder. If you know of this photograph can you please post it. My chassis gets picked up this Friday.

Thanks much,

Damien

Post Thanks / Like
    Damien,
    are you saying that if you use a t 600 with a mid shift that you have to cut the frame?
    MK IV complete kit delivered August 21st, 2014. Ford Racing 427w with X heads. IRS. Upgraded Wilwoods, 6 piston front and 4 rear. Tremec t600 and Ram Dual clutch. Holley Terminator EFI.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a TKO 600 and a 460 engine and did not have to cut anything on frame. With the bent forward shifter I find it in a good position. Nick C

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I didn't relocate the cut piece. When I went through the build school they felt it was not necessary. I had a 302 with the TKO600.

DSC02907.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike Casey built a Mk4 on the other forum with a FMS 427 (351w based) & midshift TKO. He had to relocate a cross tube. I used a 351w but reversed the shifter in the rear location (same as EdwardB) and used the Finish Line FFR bent shifter and didn't have to cut any tubes.
    It depends on your engine (big block, mod motor or Windsor) and shift handle. If you're hell-bent on a midshift, I would advise you wait until your transmission arrives before you cut.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jorge,
    PM'd you on the great dead pedal.
    MK IV complete kit delivered August 21st, 2014. Ford Racing 427w with X heads. IRS. Upgraded Wilwoods, 6 piston front and 4 rear. Tremec t600 and Ram Dual clutch. Holley Terminator EFI.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too am interested in the TKO-600 mid shift, so far I have seen a couple people using the forward bent shifter in the original (rear) shifter location. I don't have my tranny as yet but it is on order. I am interested in where the mid shift steeda or similar shift handle falls and of course whether the 3/4" tube will need to be cut and or relocated.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cut it and forget it. Shouldn't be an issue
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    jlfernan, that pic looks like a ideal location for the shifter IMO. With the seat in does if seem to be in exactly the right position for your hand?
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    To me it works perfectly. Your hand falls right to it and it's more normal feeling than the more up and down shift pattern of the rear mounted shifter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NukeMMC View Post
    Mike Casey built a Mk4 on the other forum with a FMS 427 (351w based) & midshift TKO. He had to relocate a cross tube. I used a 351w but reversed the shifter in the rear location (same as EdwardB) and used the Finish Line FFR bent shifter and didn't have to cut any tubes. It depends on your engine (big block, mod motor or Windsor) and shift handle. If you're hell-bent on a midshift, I would advise you wait until your transmission arrives before you cut.
    Here's a follow-up to the link provided from my build. Shows the shifter in the now completed interior. Note this is a TKO600 with a small block. The stock rear shifter is unbolted by removing the six bolts and rotating the shifter 180 degrees, which will move the shifter forward approximately 2-3/4 inches. Then add the ********** 427 shifter. It clears the existing transmission tunnel framework.

Although it may not look like it in the pics, the movement is almost completely front to back vs. up and down. It falls perfectly under hand from the driver's seat. Plus is a bit more authentic looking. Something guys should look at before going to the effort and expense of the mid-shift conversion IMO.

Last edited by edwardb; 12-16-2014 at 12:09 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    The stock rear shifter is unbolted by removing the six bolts and rotating the shifter 180 degrees,
    This is an option built into the transmission that doesn't require additional parts. I bought the mid shifter and converted the transmission before I tried the no cost option.
    The mid shift puts the shifter knob close to the dash which isn't a problem but just at the edge of the reach comfort zone for me. Had I tried the no cost option, I might have preferred it. The mid shift option disables the neutral switch in the transmission, not sure about the 180* option.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bking View Post
    The mid shift option disables the neutral switch in the transmission, not sure about the 180* option.
    Nope. Doesn't change anything, including the neutral switch. Just flips the shifter around and it plugs into a different socket in the shift rails.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I have and my research for my build, if u want the bent 427 shifter, turn the rear shifter plate around to the more forward position. If you want a short, vertical shifter (like a 289) use a midshift and cut the 3/4" tubing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Cut it and forget it. Shouldn't be an issue
    Mike
    That's what I did for my TKO 500 mid-shift.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Per consultation with the folks at Factory Five, if you have a newer edition MK4 kit (Received mine in Jan 2014), you should not have to cut the transmission tunnel cross-piece to fit the TKO600 with mid-shift. They apparently moved the support members to allow for this optional installation.

You may want to check your frame with them as to whether or not it is the newer version.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KauaiMK4 View Post
    Per consultation with the folks at Factory Five, if you have a newer edition MK4 kit (Received mine in Jan 2014), you should not have to cut the transmission tunnel cross-piece to fit the TKO600 with mid-shift. They apparently moved the support members to allow for this optional installation.

You may want to check your frame with them as to whether or not it is the newer version.
    Mine is 8127 and it needed the tube moved. I put a little dog leg in it and welded it back to keep the strength in that area.
    King

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KauaiMK4 View Post

It may depend on your shifter; my Pro 5 required the cut....too large by ~1/8". MK4 #8075.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys,

Need to add some information. I have a MK4 with a Coyote engine. I talked to Mike Forte about the 3/4" sq. transmission tunnel bar some time ago. He told me that even with the mid shifter stick reversed the stick would still be too far forward to be comfortable. He advised me not to reverse the shifter and to cut the 3/4" square tunnel bar. He said that it wouldn't be necessary to re-weld the bar because there's no structural problem. I value Mike's comment but I wanted to re-weld the tunnel bar anyway so it looked nice. In addition I am implementing 2bking's DS and PS foot box mods which also require welding.

So since all my welding, including the tunnel bar, will be done at one time by my panel fabricator I wanted to re-welding the tunnel bar just like the 2bking post. However from that post I cannot determine the angle that the re-welded bar should take.

The other photograph I am referring to shows the skeleton transmission tunnel, the TKO600 mid shifter with the 3/4" bar partially cut out. It appears to me that no one has seen that other photograph. It could be on the other Forum.

You guys have given me some great information. I am not that worried about this bar anymore. A lot of folks don't think I need to cut it. That's good news. I will call FF tomorrow and discuss this with them. I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks for your comments.

Damien

It's going to cost me $250 to have the chassis picked welded and returned to me. I want all the chassis welding to be once. My fabricator will also be able to check that all the DS panels will fit after the 3/4" DS sq tube is also moved to accommodate the modified DS interior vertical panel

My MK 4 was delivered this last August.

Post Thanks / Like
    Damien, while its out for welding, select some strategic locations on the chassis and have them weld on bolts of varying sizes for grounding locations; 3/8" -1/2" on the round tube on PS near starter for Bat (+), same on DS for engine ground, 1/4" at each of the 4 corners near quick jacks, a few on the 2x2 behind the dash, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a drawing I made for moving the tube. Mine needed the 1.75" dimension to clear the Mid Shifter. I made the "V" notch in the tube because welding the top corner would be difficult, welding the notch easier. After cutting the weld at the lower end of the tube, I trimmed it to the dimensions shown and welded the seams.
    King

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dale for the input.

Damien

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is a April 2014 kit with Coyote, TKO 500 with mid shift and no cutting was required.
    Chuck Krueger
    MK4 Kit - Picked up 4/5/14, Complete Kit, 3-Link, Wilwood upgrade, Coyote, TKO 500, First Start 7/25/15
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06