BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 Crash--Rebuilding and Engine Movement

Post Thanks / Like

818 Crash--Rebuilding and Engine Movement

I've decided to rebuild my 818. We have stripped the frame of all donor and Factory Five parts and will order a new frame and body panels from Factory Five in the coming days. I am looking forward to building an 818 with some experience under my belt and a fully tested wiring harness.

Does anyone want the damaged frame and body panels? Best offer over $100. You can see pictures at http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/CRBasin/library/

Some have wondered why the engine moved forward in the crash. It turns out that the transmission mount failed and the engine moved forward in the frame. The engine mounts may have also failed, but I didn't examine them closely before putting the engine down on a moving dolly. I will post pictures the link above.

Happy Holidays,

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy Holidays John!!

Very glad to hear you're rebuilding! You'll be back better and stronger than ever. =)

Best,
    -j
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi John,

Great to hear you're rebuilding! Were the mounts OEM? I assume the rubber sheared as the failure mechanism? I upgraded to Group N mounts and noticed how much beefier they are, especially the trans mount.

Good luck with v2.0 and Merry Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like
    PM sent
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with the CUSCO motor and transmission mounts for performance and safety.

Cusco Motor and Transmission Mounts.JPG Cusco Motor and Transmission Mounts 2.jpg

The mounts use welded cylinders with round bushings. The bolts which pass through the bushings are captured on both ends (double shear) of a steel channel for both the motor and transmission mounts. Steel mounts, bolts or the 818 frame must shear for the motor / transmission to break free.

Good Luck with the rebuild!
    Last edited by FFR-ADV; 12-24-2014 at 05:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    John , pm sent, where are you located
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    The frame and body panels are off to a new home. FFR818 #221 will live again.

Thanks to all for your support. I will try to finalize arrangements with Factory Five on a new frame and red body on Monday. We went to the local pick and pull last week and found new fans, a radiator, and a few other donor parts that were damaged. We still need to replace the motor mounts, the right lower control arm (aluminum),the timing belt covers, and a parking brake cable.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Need a headlight? PM sent.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john g View Post
    The frame and body panels are off to a new home. FFR818 #221 will live again.

Thanks to all for your support. I will try to finalize arrangements with Factory Five on a new frame and red body on Monday. We went to the local pick and pull last week and found new fans, a radiator, and a few other donor parts that were damaged. We still need to replace the motor mounts, the right lower control arm (aluminum),the timing belt covers, and a parking brake cable.

John
    I have Sti motor and tranny mounts for sale, pm me if your interested .
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207