Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Need opinions on high back seats and passenger roll bar

Post Thanks / Like

Question Need opinions on high back seats and passenger roll bar

I'm struggling with these two things so looking for opinions, pros/cons, or compelling reasons to have them or not.

Regarding high back seats, it seems like the added height to hold your head in place when you punch the gas would be nice... but does it look funny? Are they really practical or not worth it?

Regarding passenger side roll bar, do you think it looks good? Does it really add more value in terms of safety should a worst case scenario roll-over happen? Any other reason to have it or to not have it?

I suppose if you take a purist standpoint on both, then it is simply a "no" to have them. Because these items aren't "original" does that affect the appeal and/or resale should I ever need to get rid of it?

Appreciate some thoughts...

Post Thanks / Like
    a huge aspect of both these is personal preference, so it's very tempting to respond with personal opinion. I'll throw in a couple things just to get the responses flowing.

If you go with high back seats, it looks silly (in my opinion) without the 2nd roll bar.
    If you do track time, you won't be able to have a passenger without the 2nd roll bar.
    High backs are nice because they prevent major head and neck injuries (or death) in the event of someone rear ending you. I decided early that I didn't want to layer on that risk when I did my build (plenty of risk involved already).

If you are going for an overall "original" look, then yes, it could hurt your resale value, but otherwise it shouldn't matter. Resale value generally seems to have much more to do with the quality of craftsmanship and components than style choice (assuming you don't do something outlandish).

Good luck with your decision making!

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the look of the 2 roll bars and decided that my passenger deserved as much protection as me. My kids would probably fair better in life with my wife around and me gone than vice versa. We plan to make removable headrests that mount on the roll bars as one of our winter projects to provide the rear end crash protection you mentioned. Will be putting a high mounted stop light in each headrest for the same reason. Making all of the decisions like this was one of the most challenging parts of the build for me.

Good Luck
    Norm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Norm B; 12-18-2014 at 07:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I built mine with both and that was my plan from the very beginning. Yes, I like the traditional look of low-backs and a single rollbar, but these cars are dangerous enough from the get-go, so anything I can do to improve that, I'm all for.
    I installed the Breeze Stainless Steel roll bars, so they are between the Mk1-3.1 2" size and the MK4 1.5" diameter, they are also 2 - 3" shorter and have a slight rake and no frankenstein bolt. VERY happy with them!
    I also installed Ultra-shield Rally Sport seats and also happy with this decision. They are safer and very comfortable (I've had 2 passengers fall asleep on long cruises!). Also added seat heaters and they are warm to boot! (I did add an additional piece of foam in the seat and may add lumber support later). My 80 year old dad rode 300+ miles to London this summer with me and said they were comfortable! I've ridden in low-back seats that actually hurt my back after an hour or so.

I also plan to take it to the track next summer and have an instructor ride with me. I don't think they are allowed without a passenger rollbar.
    Besides, god forbid, I would never forgive myself if something did happen and a friend or loved one was injured because I didn't install it when I had the opportunity.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    One nice thing about the high-back seats is that they prevent the wind from pounding on the back of your head. Not as important as safety, comfort and looks, but nice.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Ain't nothin better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely safer with high back seats and a passenger roll bar (or full width roll bar). I went with high backs, full width bar, and side intrusion bars. Will it hurt resale, IMO, no. It is very easy for me to switch it back to more period correct. Heck, some people drive these cars with just lap belts (nothing quite like a face plant into the dash or steering wheel in an accident). It's all about what's important to you. Some people will look down upon your car if it doesn't have an FE, etc. Cheers.
    Last edited by Plebeian; 12-18-2014 at 08:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My opinion as asked, this looks mentally underdeveloped.

Last edited by Todd Buttrick; 12-22-2014 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Wasn't politically correct

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I have high back Kirkeys as I've been rear ended in other vehicles twice and suffered a sprained neck both times. Can't imagine what would happen without it. I'm also adding a second rollbar as it was the requirements of the wife to buy the kit. Not too tall an order. Plus with a Coyote motor, PS, PB, 17" wheels and projection headlights i've already pissed off the traditionalists.
    MK3.1 #7076 - Under Construction....
    Coyote 5.0/Solid 8.8/Tremec 3650
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering
    05-09 T3650 in a Roadster

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Todd,

That's my old Mk3. I bought the car "turn key" and ended up changing to low back sube sport seats ... and had the roll bars chromed.

GArry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO............Low back and single driver's side roll bar.
    Facebook build album:https://www.facebook.com/lazrcng/med...4257326&type=3
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Build-Thread
    MK4 Ford Racing 535hp 427 Tremec TKO 600 3 Link 8.8 3.55:1 / Sterling Grey Metalic / Black / Red

Post Thanks / Like
    All great info, guys, and I appreciate the opinions... you've given lot's of things to think about! I will most likely have a passenger (wife or daughter) more often than not so I'm thinking the passenger roll bar will be a likely addition. Looks like there's several options for the high backs so I'll do some searching... also like the idea of swapping back to low-back if had to sell.

Great stuff, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I know not everyone will agree with this position. But for street driving I don't consider a single driver's side roll bar to a safety risk for the passenger. These cars are very difficult to get wrong side up. Basically it needs to be tripped. e.g. curb, shoulder, etc. I use my car strictly for street cruising, and I know there is certainly some risk, but a roll-over accident in my opinion is quite unlikely. My wife is in the seat next to me probably 80-90% of the time the car is out. I don't think I'm putting her at undo risk without a passenger side roll bar. I understand rules for track events, having a passenger or instructor, and if that's how you're going to use the car, then a second roll bar or a full roll bar is obviously needed.

I would never use it to rationalize my decisions, but quite a few guys in our local Cobra club either have no rollbar(s) or just a little shorty one that's not going to be any help in a rollover.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I did high back seats and a full width roll bar.

No, it's not original, but it's my neck on the line so I'm good with it.

I used the Kirkey Drag Pro seats and they are the exact seat as the Kirkey Vintage Buckets only with the head protection. I also have a set of the Vintage Buckets so I can easily put in the low backs if wanted.

Attached Images Attached Images
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Since it seems you like the two roll bars (I agree) another option is headrests that attach to the roll bars.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    My question goes beyond aesthetics because that can be debated endlessly without resolution. How do you intend to use the car? If you plan to do any track time or autocross you will find that the typical roadster lowback seats won't keep you in place very well. The highbacks like the Kirkey intermeidiates that FFR offers as an option, Sube Clubmans, etc. will do a much better job in that regard. You can also go to a lowback roadrace seat like a Kirkey 41V series which will keep you better planted but still have more of a vintage look by not extending above the body.

FFR offers these as a Coupe option so if you chose to go this route perhaps you could work out a swap deal when ordering. If not they are available from a number of other sources.

As mentioned earlier if you plan to do any track time you'll be required to have a bar for passengers or instructors.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Buttrick View Post
    My opinion as asked, this looks retarded.

I think thats a retarded response..

Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer the classic low seat and single roll bar. I am sure high back seats are going to be safer, but I think retarded is the wrong use of the word.

Post Thanks / Like
    I chose the high backed seats and dual roll bars. The high back seats for head restraint, and the duel roll bars because the passenger deserves the same protection I have.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always thought that the high back seats look too big for the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    My preference, and build route is low back seats, dual rollbars, but the passenger bar can be removed and holes covered with body color plates. Removable headrest made from sissy bar pads from my Harley days looks about right also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    How do you intend to use the car?
    This ^^^^^

When I built my car I had the low back sets and a single roll bar. It was the exact look I wanted and I was very happy until I started auto crossing then it became very apparent that the look did not offer the 'function' that I wanted for aggressive driving. So I added a full width roll bar and a pair of high back Kirkeys. I can still swap the single hoop and original seats back in in a couple of hours if I want but truthfully I enjoy driving the car a lot more with more supportive seats.
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    I think thats a retarded response..
    Sorry if I offended you. I went back and edited my post.

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife pretty much laid it out. "Go ahead and order your kit, but I get a roll bar."

I did do low back seats. In autocrossing, even with the belts Apollo rocket tight, I find that I wedge my knee against the door to keep in place. I really don't like the look of the Cobra high-backs. But I think the Kirkeys or similar, without the big wings don't look too offensive.

Of course, the car looks best with a single roll bar and low backs. But, there were a lot fewer idiots on the road in 1965.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had three sets of seats. Finally settled on the Kirkey intermediate road race seats. No, they don't look original, but I feel very secure in them. Not confiningly so, but very well planted. I wanted the head and neck protection. The comfort is amazing.

Seat heaters added (very nice on cooler days).

Also went dual roll bar for the wife/kids. If I did it again, I would go full width single roll bar. I like the look better than the duals.
    One of the last Mark II's, FFR complete date 5/8/04, delivery date 5/23/04, donor-'93 Mustang GT. Yes, that is me in my Avatar. Paint done by Da Bat! It looks killer! Drive it like you stole it...