Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Leaking Fuel Tank

Post Thanks / Like

Leaking Fuel Tank

Gents,
    I need some sage council on the feasibility of removing a finished car fuel tank that has just sprung a leak.
    Car is a 2009 kit serial #135 that was built by another so I don't have the build knowledge.

Anyway my question: Is there anyway possible to remove the FFR standard tank via the trunk? (I do not want to remove the body for this simple repair).
    I don't mind sacrificing the existing tank as I plan on replacing it with something else that will accommodate a future removal if and when it has like problems.
    Your recommendations are greatly appreciated.
    Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Its much more likely to come out by removing the waterfall behind the seats. After that, you may need to cut off the roll bar stumps if they are still there. Once those are out of the way, it may come right out. You might want to consider buying the Boyd tank like the rest of us did. Any idea who built your car?
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,
    Many thanks for the replay. Chuck Drake in Florida built this great car. I will seriously consider the Boyd tank as it seems the preferred choice amongst the FFR builders. We popped off the trunk panel and it looks as though the only way out is thru the inside of the car as you stated so I'll start that process. There are two bolts on the top of the tank on the trunk side and from build pics I saw two others on the forward looking tank base side. Looks as though the roll bar tubes will be sacrificed to remove tank...just wondering if there is part of the fiberglass body under the water fall that will need to be cut...anyone have experience on that?
    BR
    Don

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think you will have to cut any fiberglass. just remove the waterfall and you will have complete access to the tank. the only thing that might be hard to do is remove the fuel line. Certainly doable though
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Again thank you Mike...this forum is a life saver and the expertise it contains is amazing...nothing beats experience.
    Will start the waterfall removal process today...more later.
    BR
    Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,
    I have a FFR hot rod kit on order and have been reading this forum with interest in changes that builders have been made from the FFR original parts. Can you share the problems you are aware of with the FF fuel tanks. I see one comment of leading tank. I asked the FFR technical help desk if that has been a problem and the answer was no. What has been your experience.
    Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Randy,

I have read of two problems with the stock tank. 1) leaks seem to be an issue with some of the tanks and 2) the fill input to the tank is very low so as soon as the fuel level is above the filler input point you basically have to fill the filler tube and let gravity balance the fuel levels and then repeat one fill of the filler tube at a time. Apparently it takes forever to get a full tank. Another issue is that the stock system comes with and external pump. That is not optimum for most modern motors. Anyway, I avoided the whole mess and purchased the Boyd tank from the beginning. Senders work, filler is at the top, pump is inside. All is good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyJ View Post
    Mike,
    I have a FFR hot rod kit on order and have been reading this forum with interest in changes that builders have been made from the FFR original parts. Can you share the problems you are aware of with the FF fuel tanks. I see one comment of leading tank. I asked the FFR technical help desk if that has been a problem and the answer was no. What has been your experience.
    Randy
    If you look around in enough different venues you will find lots of threads about the 33 fuel tank. The issues are numerous with leaks being only one of the issues.
    The early kit mentioned will have a slightly different tank but only some of the issues have been resolved. I would delete it from your order, I did on mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would definitely go with the Boyd Tank. In the FFR tank, fill inlet way too low, level sender unit cant possibly measure above 1/2 fuel, mounting flange for sender unit is horrible, vent is too small considering inlet location, carbon steel instead of the Aluminum Boyd tank. Besides the tank also consider sourcing the following from elsewhere; shocks, springs, brake rotors, pads
    Bill
    '33HR #522, LS3, TKO 500, Boyd's Tank, QA1 Shocks, Double Roll Bars

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got the Boyd tank installed and what a nice piece of hardware it is. Had to use the FFR fill location as I just could not make the tight turns using the exterior fill. Bought a nice large FFR emblem and had an aluminum plug made to cover the exterior fill...looks nice and now people ask what is a FFR? A nice opening to talk hot rods. In my infinite wisdom I had added an aluminum panel under the Boyd tank to eliminate water and dirt from entering that once wide open area not realizing how darn hot the tank would get. Returned from my first road without even a hint of gasoline smell (a car first) and after shutting off the engine could hear bubbling behind the waterfall. Here we go again I thought, so the protective tank panel actually was causing the gas to boil. Living here in South Florida I was not surprised after checking the boiling point of gas at sea level etc. So off came the top, out came the seats and waterfall along with the roll bar (am getting good at this) and in went a nice thermostatically controlled 9" fan from Summit Racing. There was enough of an opening left on either side of the tank above the fender wells to allow ample air for forced cooling. Bingo that did the trick. Thanks to all for the advice and to those considering which fuel tank to buy...do yourself a favor and buy a Boyd...it's a no brainer!