BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mitchgray

Post Thanks / Like

Mitchgray

Ok so I am new here.. So have no mercy for the ignorant questions.
    I have a coupe kit that was purchased from a gentleman that is approx 7 years old. So it it is a gen 1 chassis.
    I have been in the process of restoring some alterations that were done to the chassis including replacing the irs cages that were removed. Having completed that I have managed to get a center section installed and the control arms installed.
    And here is my question/s. The build manual says to place three spacers between the hiem joint and the front control bracket on both sides but there is no mention of any additional shims or spacers to the control arms after that. So does that mean that the control arms are just free to move front to back ?
    I wouldn't think so and I assume that some are going to get put in once the rest of the weight is on the running gear. This car is a pin drive irs and everything looks correct except the spacing of the control arms
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Mitch gray.

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mitch,

The spacers will eventually need to take up all the space between the rod ends and the tabs, however as the arms are adjusted the amount of spacers on each side can change. We recommend putting the spacers in the front to help get you rolling but once the car is aligned for the final time then filling the rest of the space with the remaining spacers. You could do this now if you want to keep track of everything, it is just a time saver to do it this way.

Also Glad to see you rescued the car from that young man, he likely wouldn't have finished it for years.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jim I appreciate that is about the answer I expected but wanted to be sure before getting into hot water later.
    The only problem with getting a kit from somebody that is this old is that all of the parts are not there and the packages are long. Since gone so. It even more challenging to figure out what I have and what I don't. And some things hav e changed since this generation chassis. Gordon levy has been a tremendous help in sorting out some of the missing parts and dumb questions on my part.