Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Graduate MKIV #7693

Post Thanks / Like

Please Graduate MKIV #7693

Please Graduate MKIV #7693

Three days from now it will be exactly 3 years since the Stewart truck dropped off my MKIV. I am truly amazed at what I have created with the help of Factory Five, a litany of forum vendors, the advice / guidance / helpfulness of this forum, and my incredible understanding suportive wife and kids. Special thanks to the local FFR guru SJDave who is my local go to guy and has been incredibly generous in time and effort helping me along the way.

Being a Mustang guy for 25 years I was looking to build a car from scratch but was struggling with the time and expense of doing a pro-touring style 67 fastback. With 4 kids ranging from 6-16 both budget wise and time wise it simply was not going to happen. Then one day my friend gave me a ride in his continuation Shelby CSX and it all fell into place from there. I was hooked on the Cobra concept in about 30 seconds. I still wanted to build it from scratch so I started researching replica makes, going to local events, and talking to local people and the FFR idea was born. Just as a side note, keep in mind 90% of this car was build between 8pm and 3am - job, family, kids schedules, volunteering, and taking care of 3 acres takes precendent for daylight hours around here. People ask where I found the time to build the car. My answer was that I didn't have the time, I made the time. My oldest son who is now 16 spent many a Friday / Saturday night with me in the garage which also makes the experience memorable for both of us.

My overall goal was a simple, clean, somewhat traditional understated look from the outside, and all modern everywhere else.

Here are the basics of my build:

Kit:
    • MKIV base kit w/ standard width IRS

Drivetrain:
    • Coyote 5.0L tuned by JMS
    • 4:1:4 stainless headers by Stainless Headers in South Dakota
    • FFR stainless side pipes
    • KRC power steering setup for the Coyote
    • Billet steel flywheel / Centerforce dual friction clutch / QuickTime bellhousing
    • Forte hydraulic clutch setup
    • Tremec TKO600
    • Custom driveshaft by Denny's
    • Aluminum IRS case with Eaton Trutrac and Ford Racing 3.55 gears

Wheels / Brakes:
    • FFR standard width front lower control arms and spindles
    • FFR standard width IRS
    • FFR 17x9 and 17x10.5 Halibrand style wheels
    • Kuhmo 255/40 and 315/35 Ecsta XS tires
    • Wilwood 12.88 front and 12.2 rear brakes from FFR
    • Wilwood pedal box with remote bias adjuster

Interior/Exterior:
    • FFR leather low back seats with seat heaters
    • FFR classic style gauges from Speedhut with SC layout
    • Glovebox
    • FFR heater
    • Removeable tunnel cover with e-brake relocated
    • Lots of chrome and polished stainless
    • Hood louvers
    • Paint by DaBat - Jeff Miller in Lamborghini titanium and silver stripes

Thank you to Dave Smith and FFR for producing such a great product. It was a pleasure building it - now it is time to drive it. Its first day out was to Mike Hennesy's annual New Years Eve Day BBQ in Santa Clara, California. It gained a lot of attention and will be featured in an upcoming episode of his 'Car Guy Channel' (Home Page) - keep an eye out!

IMG_0443.JPG
    IMG_0442.JPG
    IMG_0413.JPG
    IMG_0418.JPG
    IMG_0429.JPG
    IMG_0430.JPG
    IMG_0438.JPG

Oh, and can't forget the selfie that my oldest son took with the GoPro he got for Christmas!

FFR #7693 Maiden Voyage

Kevin
    Last edited by bansheekev; 01-05-2015 at 02:00 PM.
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Nicely finished looks great Kevin. I'm a couple months into my build of 8442 which I'm leaning towards Silver. I'll be down in Morgan Hill on Business in Feb. would love to stop by and visit. Would like to see the youtube link but it's not working....

Congrats on the completion
    Last edited by rmiller64; 01-06-2015 at 03:17 PM.
    Rick
    #8442 MK4 Complete kit, 331 Stroker, T5, 3.73 Posi 3-Link, 15", Goodyear Billboards
    Order 8/22/14 Del 11/7/14 First Start 3/9/15 Go Cart 3/14/15 Paint 2/25/16
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8442-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    And under the hood - sorry for the first two as the site kept erroring when they were oriented vertically for some reason.

IMG_0420.JPG
    IMG_0421.JPG
    IMG_0422.JPG
    IMG_0423.JPG
    IMG_0424.JPG
    IMG_0425.JPG
    IMG_0426.JPG
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmiller64 View Post
    Nicely finished looks great Kevin. I'm a couple to my build of 8442 which I'm leaning towards Silver. I'll be down in Morgan Hill on Business in Feb. would love to stop by and visit. Would like to see the youtube link but it's not working....

Congrats on the completion
    Try the YouTube link again.... Just fixed it. Opps - can you say fat finger!

Also, sent you a PM regarding coming to see the car when you are in town...

Kevin
    Last edited by bansheekev; 01-05-2015 at 02:03 PM.
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin - Looks great! Sounds great! I loved the video. A perfect use for the "selfie stick"...

Post Thanks / Like
    Gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking build! Bring it to HB later this year so that we can see it in person.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 68GT500MAN View Post
    Great looking build! Bring it to HB later this year so that we can see it in person.
    Doug
    At this point, that is the plan unless family obligations prevent it. It's within a week of my birthday so I have that excuse going for me...

Kevin
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    wow fantastic build

Post Thanks / Like
    You wind this motor up and above 6000 rpm it changes from the healthy V8 sound to a Lamborghini style V10 screaming banshee. BTW - no this is not where my forum name comes from. That is for my twin cylinder 2 strike stage 3 Yamaha Banshee quad. Yet another very distinct sounding motor.

I'm still getting used to all the car alarms I set off in this car - it's entertaining...

Kevin
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Nicely done!!!!
    Chuck Krueger
    MK4 Kit - Picked up 4/5/14, Complete Kit, 3-Link, Wilwood upgrade, Coyote, TKO 500, First Start 7/25/15
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man, beautifully turned out, sounds glorious. Congrats on the build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Outstanding build !!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job on this build! This is the exact setup my son and I will be starting soon. Do you have any recommendations for a first time builder? What was the most difficult part of the build?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MeadTec View Post
    Great job on this build! This is the exact setup my son and I will be starting soon. Do you have any recommendations for a first time builder? What was the most difficult part of the build?
    Thank you for the compliments.

I guess my feedback would be on your mechanical and electrical comfort level. I have been around building Mustangs and 4x4's for 25 years as well as having an electrical engineering and software background. Nothing in this build was something that I hadn't done before. Just had to learn the FFR ins and outs from local FFR guys and the forums (I.e. What not to do). You can turnkey some things to a higher degree if you don't want to do it yourself. Tangible example is the clutch lever pivot ball height has caused multiple Coyote builders headaches where the engine had to come out of the car multiple times (sorry Dale, threw you under the bus). Some are frustrated by these setbacks and some are not phased by it - Dale is one who takes it as a challenge. You could source the drivetrain with known parts combinations and assembled by a professional. When it arrives drop it in. I was on the other end of the spectrum wanting to hand choose every part and build it all myself.

Other considerstion is budget. My build was fairly high end non-donor starting with a base kit and an IRS and choosing my own parts but absolutely no labor costs outside of paint. The same drivetrain in a 3 link complete kit and sticking fairly close to what's provided in the complete kit would be significantly less expensive.

I wouldnt say the most difficult but the most challenging part was wiring. What went where wasn't too bad but organizing it and keeping it neat and serviceable (like dash quick disconnect Molex plugs for the dash for instance) just took a lot of time. I think I spent 3-4 months on this part of the build. The fact that you look under the hood and you don't notice any wiring speaks for itself...

Just my $.02

Kevin
    Last edited by bansheekev; 01-06-2015 at 10:33 PM.
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Man... that is a beaut! Fantastic build, very sharp, very clean!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great Job Kevin. I have a very similar set up. Upgraded the Coyote with the BOSS 302 intake. I too found the wiring was the part I had to concentrate on the most. But, I followed the instructions from FFR. Used their suggested parts for the clutch and bellhousing. No issues. I see you installed the de-gas tank. The FFR instructions didnt call for one so I left it out. No issues. I find it makes the engine compartment that much less cluttered.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin where did you get the louvers? They look great and should help air flow in engine compartment. Excellent build. Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bansheekev View Post
    (sorry Dale, threw you under the bus).
    Kevin
    No problem at all, a lesson I learned well; hope others don't have to go through that.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin-

Looks awesome! Engine bay is immaculate, and the paint is perfect. The coyote really looks great in these cars, although it sure is a tight squeeze.

Thanks for sharing your pics. Now, go enjoy your ride!

Regards,

Steve

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nicely done, Kevin, especially the engine bay!

Enjoy,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NICK C View Post
    Kevin where did you get the louvers? They look great and should help air flow in engine compartment. Excellent build. Nick
    Louvers are from Shane at Vraptor Speedworks. They are CNC plasma cut from .080" aluminum and you form them yourself then add the stiffening rib down the middle. Da Bat did the hood openings, body work, and installation of them. He mounted them to the under side of the hood with 6 short #6 screws - picture below. He wound up powder coating them, roughing up the powder coat, then painting them the base body color.

01c5bd8bedfe1843e6d68e513e6af62fc9cd6c7700.jpg01fcbcd0471a1c6af5f156984235c06245aa20ed0e.jpg

I went with them at first for function wanting to vent heat out from under the hood after hearing of some hood paint blistering from other local builders and due to the Coyote computer being in the engine compartment. They certainly seem to do their job with temps but they sure do look good too.

Kevin
    Last edited by bansheekev; 01-08-2015 at 01:23 PM.
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    Great Job Kevin. I have a very similar set up. Upgraded the Coyote with the BOSS 302 intake. I too found the wiring was the part I had to concentrate on the most. But, I followed the instructions from FFR. Used their suggested parts for the clutch and bellhousing. No issues. I see you installed the de-gas tank. The FFR instructions didnt call for one so I left it out. No issues. I find it makes the engine compartment that much less cluttered.
    I went the route of doing the cooling system exactly the same as a new Mustang. Personal preference as different approaches seem to work fine with no issues. When I bought the parts an aluminum tank wasn't yet available for the 2011+ Coyote so I used the factory plastic one. Eventually I will swap it out for an aluminum one - have to leave something for later right?. Got the callback yesterday and my CHP appointment is on Monday. More progress.

I have had a lot of Mustangs from old to new with the last one a blown Saleen convertible and the fun factor on this car is in another league completely.

BTW - I like the Boss intake... Very cool.

Kevin
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote / KRC Power Steering

BTW - anyone considering power steering for the Coyote should look at the KRC setup for the Coyote. It runs off the water pump with proper pulley ratios (4.25" water pump side and 6" pump side) so it is under-driven accounting for the high revving Coyote. You don't want to rev a cast iron power steering pump to 7000+ RPM unless you shell out a ton of money for an aluminum one designed for racing. They have different flow rate fittings built into to the o-ring output AN fitting on the pump to adjust boost. I went with their smallest / lowest flow rate one and I like it. Easy at low speed and good road feel and feedback when you are up to speed. Only challenge is that the inlet to the pump is high on the motor and gravity fed so reservoir placement options are limited. Mine is behind the radiator next to the coolant tank. Clears the hood by 1/2" and the 90 degree AN fitting is about 1/2" above the pump inlet.

IMG_0458.JPG

Kevin
    Last edited by bansheekev; 01-08-2015 at 02:59 PM.
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    The coyote really looks great in these cars, although it sure is a tight squeeze.

Regards,

Steve
    Installing the stage 8 locking header bolts and standoff heat shield between the gas pedal footbox mod I did the header was epic. Luckily it was done late a night when kids were sleeping - certainly not G rated entertainment. Maybe I should have recruited one my 7 year old twin daughters to help...

Kevin
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Nicely Done!! Beautiful car!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations!! I'm happy to see you finally got it on the road. Enjoy the ride as often as possible
    Chris
    Mark IV Roadster #7679
    Coyote 5.0, T56, Hydraulic Clutch, IRS, Torsen Diff, Wilwoods, Hydraboost, ABS Power Brakes, Power Steering, & tons more extras.

Post Thanks / Like
    200 miles so far - no issues other than me having to show restraint. Drove it to the CHP office today to get my VIN number assigned. Easy - next stop is the smog referee at the BAR.

Oh, and my 16 year old son says I have to pick him up at school in it this Friday. He put a lot of Friday and Saturday nights in with me so who am I to say no? This should be interesting...

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by chrisarella View Post
    Congratulations!! I'm happy to see you finally got it on the road. Enjoy the ride as often as possible
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    "Just as a side note, keep in mind 90% of this car was build between 8pm and 3am - job, family, kids schedules, volunteering, and taking care of 3 acres takes precendent for daylight hours around here."

I'm not sure which is more impressive ... the car itself or competing it in a timely manner while managing a full plate of adult responsibilities. Regardless, congratulations on completing an excellent build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob McCrea View Post
    "Just as a side note, keep in mind 90% of this car was build between 8pm and 3am - job, family, kids schedules, volunteering, and taking care of 3 acres takes precendent for daylight hours around here."

I'm not sure which is more impressive ... the car itself or competing it in a timely manner while managing a full plate of adult responsibilities. Regardless, congratulations on completing an excellent build!
    Thanks for that. In reality it served as my escape from all that stuff. Some people pay a therapist, I built a car. I also learned to plan ahead. I work at home a lot so what I would do is spend my lunch staging parts, materials, and tools when I was going to be working on it that night. That way no setup time - get straight to it. It's amazing how much that process helped in efficiency.

It also helped that I have been a Mustang freak since I was a teenager. I sold my supercharged Saleen Speedster to start this car. It had been the longest period of time since I graduated from college without a muscle car. Being without was a great motivator!

Kevin
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely beautiful build... Amazing job.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW - Very Nice!! - Great attention to detail and care in your build. Good to see another Coyote on the road and complete. The Coyote is a great choice for these cars (over 5k mi on mine with absolutely no issues). Color is one of the most difficult things for these builds - I was originally going to go with a silver combo similar to your choice (wanted polished aluminum look) however I finally went with a Ferrari blue (has some pearl) and white (a throwback color that is a twist to the original colors). Your color combo is outstanding! (quite modern color choice).

My Coyote build uses the Moser 3 link - the car tracks fantastic (build came in at around ~$65-75k labor not included).

Can you provide some details - as follows:

------ Dash layout looks great - what glove box did you use?

------ What did you used for the engine bay hood-body rubber seal and how it is fastened? It looks great and functional (like factory) and is much better than the supplied FFR grommets.

------ Power steering set-up - the parts, pump & details? Did you use a Heidts valve? I am considering changing to PS (at some point). I have a new AGR rack but need the pump and lines etc and plan to use a Heidts valve to regulate the pressure & sensitivity.

Thanks for posting - great work!
    Last edited by Jester; 02-08-2015 at 12:13 PM.
    15th Anniversary Edition
    Mk4 - 18 month build (4 hrs every Sat), received Aug 2011, titled & registered May 2013, final in paint Nov 2013 - Ferrari blue
    FRPP Crate Coyote 5.0, tko600, Moser 3 link, manual steering & 13" brakes, upgraded coil overs
    koolmat then dynamat then carpet in cockpit - very solid, no engine heat transfer to cockpit and no road noise

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a hoax,,,,a sham,,,,a true misdirection......This car is nowhere near as good as it looks in the pics.............IT'S BETTER, CLEANER, TIGHTER. A lot of very well built cars come through my shop....THIS ONE IS A "BENCHMARK" Kevin did a most awesome job!...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you everyone for the continuing compliments - I sometimes sit back an amazed at my own creation. I cannot emphasize enough what having an overall build plan, taking your time, and always thinking 3 steps head means when building these cars. Its something that $ cannot compensate for. I appear to have that 'gift' to visualize it. The forums are incredible as well... I have been into Mustangs for 25 years and have never run into people as helpful and willing to go out of their way for you. I also met some very talented and helpful FFR owners near my home all of which would drop everything to come help or make something for you with their cool tools that I don't have.

Jester, here is some of the info you were looking for...

Glove box - I used one from Alex's Custom Cobra Interiors (http://acroadsterinteriors.com). Since I have the FFR heater installed without a firewall modification I used the shallowest one he offers. It doesn't have any hinges but rather two 'pins' that locate the bottom with the lock at the top. You unlock it and basically remove the entire door to gain access. There is only about 3/4" of usable depth inside the glove box. The kit came with a roll of vinyl to match the glove box door which I used to cover the dash. I ordered an extra roll of the vinyl to use for the transmission tunnel, shifter boot, and ebrake boot. I simply wanted something to keep the paperwork for the car, a garage door opener (a very small keychain size one), and maybe my cell phone so it works for me.

Hood rubber seal - This is a product I picked up from Mike Everson at Replicaparts (http://www.replicaparts.com/weather%...ing%20page.htm). It is an adhesive backed D shaped seal. You are right, it gives the opening a finished look. It is small things like this that give the car an overall production car type complete car look.

Power steering - I used the setup from the guys at KRC Power Steering - see pictures here (Coyote KRC Aluminum Pump PS). This one is expensive (~$1000 but I believe its the aluminum pump model) but it has pictures the part number I used with the cast iron pump is here - with no pictures (Coyote KRC Cast Iron Pump PS). See post #25 in this thread for a write-up of my impressions of the setup. The pump itself is a KRC 100% in-house design - they are not using modified Ford or GM OEM pumps. Short answer is that I like it but I did not add a heidts valve which means that it isn't adjustable but I am not planning much track time so I don't much care.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    WOW - Very Nice!! - Great attention to detail and care in your build. Good to see another Coyote on the road and complete. The Coyote is a great choice for these cars (over 5k mi on mine with absolutely no issues). Color is one of the most difficult things for these builds - I was originally going to go with a silver combo similar to your choice (wanted polished aluminum look) however I finally went with a Ferrari blue (has some pearl) and white (a throwback color that is a twist to the original colors). Your color combo is outstanding! (quite modern color choice).

My Coyote build uses the Moser 3 link - the car tracks fantastic (build came in at around ~$65-75k labor not included).

Can you provide some details - as follows:

------ Dash layout looks great - what glove box did you use?

------ What did you used for the engine bay hood-body rubber seal and how it is fastened? It looks great and functional (like factory) and is much better than the supplied FFR grommets.

------ Power steering set-up - the parts, pump & details? Did you use a Heidts valve? I am considering changing to PS (at some point). I have a new AGR rack but need the pump and lines etc and plan to use a Heidts valve to regulate the pressure & sensitivity.

Thanks for posting - great work!
    Last edited by bansheekev; 02-08-2015 at 02:02 PM.
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    It's a hoax,,,,a sham,,,,a true misdirection......This car is nowhere near as good as it looks in the pics.............IT'S BETTER, CLEANER, TIGHTER. A lot of very well built cars come through my shop....THIS ONE IS A "BENCHMARK" Kevin did a most awesome job!...da Bat
    Thanks Jeff, coming from you that means a lot on this end... Benchmark may be a little over the top (have you ever seen GarageFriek's car?) - but I'll take the compliment. You did a spectacular job on the paint - its flawless and I'm getting inquiries from several of my muscle car buddies about you. Not to mention at least 15 inquiries about the louvers... At least they are not GT500 louvers right?

Now if the DMV would only get in gear and get me my SB100 info so I can finish the registration and get a license plate I'd be happy...

Kevin
    Last edited by bansheekev; 02-08-2015 at 02:03 PM.
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for thin info.

I have posted a pic of my engine bay (FFR supplied grommets used for hood spacers)comp 7.JPG. I will order the D shape seal from Mike.

I see that you opted not to install the defroster vents or wipers - looks clean. I guess no need where you are - as the song says it never rains in California.

Thx
    Last edited by Jester; 02-08-2015 at 02:40 PM.
    15th Anniversary Edition
    Mk4 - 18 month build (4 hrs every Sat), received Aug 2011, titled & registered May 2013, final in paint Nov 2013 - Ferrari blue
    FRPP Crate Coyote 5.0, tko600, Moser 3 link, manual steering & 13" brakes, upgraded coil overs
    koolmat then dynamat then carpet in cockpit - very solid, no engine heat transfer to cockpit and no road noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Jester, take a look here for more pictures...

https://myffr7693.shutterfly.com

Kevin
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thx - Those Louvers are killer - I will keep these in mind for my next build

Fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by bansheekev View Post
    Jester, take a look here for more pictures...

https://myffr7693.shutterfly.com

Kevin
    15th Anniversary Edition

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Kevin,

My name is Kevin as well and I am really new here to the forum site. First of all your car is spectacular! I hope my car turns out 1/2 as well as yours did. I did have a question regarding the gear shift location. On most cars I see this long shifter with the point where it enters the gear box behind the drivers knee. How did you get your shifter up further? I am guessing it is a factor from the transmission you purchased and where the motor is mounted. I would like mine to be closer to the drivers knee rather than back further. I plan on using a Tremec HD T-5 transmission which seems to be a really popular trans. Any guidance you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Kevin

See an example below.

InteriorRtSide1024x768.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast