Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rear End Redesign

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurk818 View Post
    Thank you for the initial design Vman. It looks great!
    Thanks At least that mock-up is getting some use to help others come up with their own ideas

I wish there were some better rear and front views taken at the right camera angles and distance. Then I could have something I could really work with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman7 View Post
    Thanks At least that mock-up is getting some use to help others come up with their own ideas

I wish there were some better rear and front views taken at the right camera angles and distance. Then I could have something I could really work with.
    Do you think youd have a few minutes to play around with the tail lights themselves? Particularly the strips.

Also, if you can, add the 4" spoiler and a 3rd brake light LED strip. You can see in the photos i posted with the pencil marks approx what i plan to do with my rear.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you think youd have a few minutes to play around with the tail lights themselves? Particularly the strips.

Also, if you can, add the 4" spoiler and a 3rd brake light LED strip. You can see in the photos i posted with the pencil marks approx what i plan to do with my rear.

Thanks in advance
    Not sure when, I a have a busy day. I might be able to get to in a few though.

I got where you are going with the vertical lines next to the tail lights, just going up higher. As far as the LED strip lights, a bunch of ways you could go. Could also do custom LED shapes, if you don't mind doing all the work to make them. Spoiler is no problem. 3rd brake light could go about anywhere on the top half.

I'll see what I can do

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mechie3's picture(s) of the white rear is almost a perfect shot for a blank to work with. The shot just needs to taken down a bit, a little more centered (a little to the right) and stand back about 20ft and zoom in so you don't get that camera arc. But Mechie3's picture is one of the best I have seen so far.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellimist View Post
    Based on this source it looks like SAE standard states a maximum of 300 lumens (cd) and 750 lumens (cd) for red and yellow
    FYI a correction... the SAE limits are in units of candelas (cd) which is a measure of luminous intensity; a lumen (lm) is a measure of luminous flux. A lumen is basically a watt weighted by the human eye's visual response (and is a function of wavelength/color), whereas a candela is a lumen per steradian (unit solid angle, like a radian but in an extra dimension).

So if you're looking at alternative lights, and want to be within SAE limits, you'll want to pay attention to candelas, not lumens. Sorry, optical/display engineer can't help himself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mechie3's picture(s) of the white rear is almost a perfect shot for a blank to work with. The shot just needs to taken down a bit, a little more centered (a little to the right) and stand back about 20ft and zoom in so you don't get that camera arc. But Mechie3's picture is one of the best I have seen so far.

David
    Here is a blank rear picture I took if someone would like a plank canvas to start from.
    I have no Idea if it has the qualities the David is looking for.
    My rear tires in this shot are only 225 wide on 55 offset rims.
    Bob

Attached Images Attached Images
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for the initial design Vman. It looks great!
    Yeah sorry, VMANs design was credited in mechie's build, not in this thread though. All I did was black out vmans design and add the Arrinera style lights.

he gets all the credit for reshaping the lower and upper bumper.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    Yeah sorry, VMANs design was credited in mechie's build, not in this thread though. All I did was black out vmans design and add the Arrinera style lights.

he gets all the credit for reshaping the lower and upper bumper.
    Thanks no biggie, that's what the mock up is for, for people to use I just got a kick out of how it was finally being used for something...lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob n cincy, thanks for the blank, a little grainy, but it might work.

I don't want to say to much in order not to hijack Kurk818's thread. So I'll keep it brief. I know it's hard to take a picture if you don't really know what to look for, and I understand not everybody has an eye for it, but I do really appreciate the effort that some are taking in trying to take a decent picture

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-07-2015 at 01:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob n cincy, thanks for the blank, a little grainy, but it might work.

I don't want to say to much in order not to hijack Kurk818's thread. So I'll keep it brief. I know it's hard to take a picture if you don't really know what to look for, and I understand not everybody has an eye for it, but I do really appreciate the effort that some are taking in trying to take a decent picture

David
    I think any improvements that anyone does is a benefit for the whole 818 community. Its always cool seeing new and different things each of us do and hopefully share with the community.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeppers!

mock-ups by anybody is always a good thing. Gets those ideas flowing in the head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kurk, so much for getting stuff done today......lol I pulled up the PSD file on the mock-up. I have a bunch of stuff I already started in that PSD file. I'll have to work with it some and see what I come up with.

Kurk, are you set on the LED strips? Only reason I ask is one of the ideas I came up with is using Hella lights like the FFR turn signals. You can get them in red, clear and I think even in smoke. I mocked up 3 of each. I'll try and post a quick mock up here.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. I like the strip led idea and have purchased the amazon ones that Plavan has linked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. I like the strip led idea and have purchased the amazon ones that Plavan has linked.
    Ok, which ones are those?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, which ones are those?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by Kurk818; 01-07-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    nothing there, says We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site

Post Thanks / Like
    Try now

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan on having the whole blacked area as tinted lexan. The lights would only be visible when they are on. Also, the spoiler adds a bit more curvature to the tail light area. Im not certain whether it woul look better is the taillight top followed the top of the original bumper or the new curvature of the spoiler.

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan on having the whole blacked area as tinted lexan. The lights would only be visible when they are on. Also, the spoiler adds a bit more curvature to the tail light area. Im not certain whether it woul look better is the taillight top followed the top of the original bumper or the new curvature of the spoiler.
    That link worked , I'll have to do either some mock-ups in white after doing some research on them.

A few different way you could go on the direction of the LEDs. Vert or horz would work. But I will say th LEDs shown so far with them being vertical with a slant, looks funky to me and like an add on. They don't flow well, but that's just me.
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-07-2015 at 02:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the bigger challenge will be to try to make the stock lengths of the LED bars work with the design. Im sure that could be modified as well tho.

Im excited to see what the Master comes up with

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm.......this looks familiar..........lol
    This thread broke off from my build thread. We all gave you credit for the blue photoshop over there:

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post183418

edit: Derp. I now see I missed the entire second page of this thread and just repeated what others said.

edit2: The white car photo is actually from Metalmakers car.
    Last edited by Mechie3; 01-07-2015 at 02:30 PM.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    This thread broke off from my build thread. We all gave you credit for the blue photoshop over there:

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post183418

edit: Derp. I now see I missed the entire second page of this thread and just repeated what others said.

edit2: The white car photo is actually from Metalmakers car.
    lol........ (Vman gives Mechie3 a NCIS Jethro Gibbs slap to back of head).......lol

Post Thanks / Like
    This was just a mock-up from way back.......
    but it looks awesome.....
    I'm going for this look..
    Continuity from top to bottom, nice lines, good balance..... good finished OEM look......

Post Thanks / Like
    Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it without the orange piece, though the orange piece doesn't kill it. Blinkers can be red, they don't need to be amber AFAIK.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I think a vertical series works better and perhaps the blinker made as a vee pointing in the correct direction. I like them all red

The old thunderbird sequential working to the side make for a cool blinker setup
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, the look of that tail-light to me is a bit late 70's / early 80's style with the black surround and diagonal amber oval. Red alone I think could work, but as is, it looks out out place on the 818, IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing im beginning to see from this thread is that nothing works for everyone. Find a design you like and stick with it. Make it yours, make it unique.

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing im beginning to see from this thread is that nothing works for everyone. Find a design you like and stick with it. Make it yours, make it unique.
    That's what makes this platform so cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thoughts?

That's sharp!

The factory rear end is still a bit too kit-car-ish for me. I think yours OEM's up the appearance pretty dramatically.

I wonder how the look would change with a 4th red led at the bottom (and maybe even a fifth?) in the same staggered arrangement? May have to go smaller with the others to do that, and keep the geometry looking good, though.
    Last edited by Turboguy; 01-13-2015 at 04:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    hey guys ase approved don't make them legal they have to be dot approved to be legal in all states regular or led and rears at least one has to be reflective was a state inspector in tx. for 40 years appears corvette led lights have reflectors built in just saying

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here's the rear on my car with the light area painted with black mixed with clear, ice pearl and a gloss flattener.

Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Some cars that inspire the mods I'd like to make....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder what a rear center grill like this would be like. All of my photoshops so far have used a solid line on the bottom and followed the curve of the trunk on top. Having a feature bottom middle might look interesting.

Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you speaking of the area of the prancing horse? If so it would make for a good place for the license plate, or FACTORY FIVE

Post Thanks / Like
    Thoughts?

Kurk, so ppl the rear of that idea tha I posted and ppl will get a better idea of it

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    Here's the rear on my car with the light area painted with black mixed with clear, ice pearl and a gloss flattener.

Grreat look Wayne....love it

Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Some cars that inspire the mods I'd like to make....
    As you know as well as others that followed the Vantage Design Project, know that a lot of inspiration came from the Audi R8 rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    I wonder what a rear center grill like this would be like. All of my photoshops so far have used a solid line on the bottom and followed the curve of the trunk on top. Having a feature bottom middle might look interesting.

That is one of the rears I have been studing for idea for the 818. Funny how minds think alike

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Are you speaking of the area of the prancing horse? If so it would make for a good place for the license plate, or FACTORY FIVE
    I have something in mind with what you are thinking about

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't want to talk about too much in this thread since this thread is Kurk's.

Here is a link about some I like to call MCS (Modular Component System) see post #110.
    I'll be talking about it again in the new Thread I started Vman's 818 Design Ideas

David

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you think of my rear end redesign? I wanted to find some production parts that I could incorporate into the kit. This 2012-2013 Kia Soul front grill fit amazingly well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast