Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanderson1's build thread..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikespms View Post
    I was wondering if you could post detail pictures of your adapter and mark the holes for the trans with tape so that I can see how they are connecting the trans to the adaptor plate and how many bolts they are using also if you know who made your adaptor. Kennedy makes an adapter for the ecotec for the g50 and vw trans and they make an adaptor for the ecotec for the ls which is like the one you have. I need to supply them with the location for the starter pocket so that I can use the stock ecotec starter.
    Sure I can do that for you. I can take some high res photos with a ruler.

I bought the adapter from "The Race Line" but he mentioned it was made by someone else.

I am still trying to figure out what fasteners i need to attach the engine to the trans. I messaged "The Race Line" but haven't heard anything back for a few days. The adapter is drilled and tapped but i would prefer they tell me what to use. The kit from "The Race Line" said it came with bolts but its missing alot of the required bolts... its possible there will be another shipment.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering if you could post detail pictures of your adapter and mark the holes for the trans with tape so that I can see how they are connecting the trans to the adaptor plate and how many bolts they are using also if you know who made your adaptor. Kennedy makes an adapter for the ecotec for the g50 and vw trans and they make an adaptor for the ecotec for the ls which is like the one you have. I need to supply them with the location for the starter pocket so that I can use the stock ecotec starter.

Thanks Mike
    You will see the adapter in the next post (posting in the next few minutes). The adapter bolts to the engine with 7 bolts and the trans bolts to the adapter with 8 bolts. I bought the adapter from Eric (The Race Line). I'm sure he could set you up with one. The adapter is a few inches thick (aluminum) and the flywheel sticks out more then 2 inches from that. This is required to leave room for the starter wheel but also allow the clutch to insert into the bell housing.

The bolts that hold the adapter plate to the engine (if i remember correctly) are M8 bolts, I can measure the length if you want but that would depend on the thickness of your adapter plate. The bolts holding the transaxel on are all M10 however they very in length as the transaxel base is not a consistent thickness.

If you want i can get the calipers out and measure the thickness of the adapter place and flywheel. I think it would be pretty hard to duplicate without VERY accurate drawings, the tolerances are very tight.

Post Thanks / Like

Productive Weekend.

So day one started with me going to work because something went wrong and i was on call so i didnt get quite as far as i wanted.

Day One
    • Garage Cleaned up
    • All Bolts tightened to spec.
    • Steering wheel mounted
    • Pushed the car down the driveway, spun around and placed onto the lift with the back facing out. (ready for the engine)
    • Picked up the engine hoist from a friend.
    • Engine sensors removed and replaced with FF units as per instructions.

IMG_1338.JPG IMG_1339.JPG

Day two
    • alternator bolted on
    • Air-cond pump bolted on
    • Tensioner setup
    • Serpentine belts put on
    • Removed the engine from its stand and placed onto crane
    • bolted the engine mounts back on
    • Put the block heater back in (got in the way of the stand)
    • covered the inside of the engine bay with blankets
    • tried to fit the engine in.
    • realized that the manual was right and the thermostat does have to come off to fit.
    • removed thermostat, tried again
    • bolted engine in, held back end up with ratchet strap
    • bolted the starter ring and flywheel on.
    • put the bearing onto the flywheel
    • put the trans/engine adapter plate on, (realized i only had one bolt that would work)
    • Went to the store to buy more bolts.
    • bolted the adapter on.
    • bolted the clutch on
    • installed the clutch slave onto the trans
    • installed the pilot bearing, etc. onto the trans.
    • identified and purchased the bolts required to mount the trans....
    • .... ran out of time.

IMG_1342.JPG IMG_1345.JPG IMG_1346.JPG

My wife is out tomorrow evening so i should have enough time to mount the trans to the engine and the rear support.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would recommend this upgrade: http://vraptorspeedworks.com/serpent...ulley-support/
    I never used the stock set up from Factory Five, but heard of that long bolt bending with heavy accelerations. Have any others used the factory five setup (serpentine belt pulley support) with out it bending?
    GTM #370
    Car was completed and I have SOLD my car
    http://edgemansgtm.weebly.com/index.html
    Doing what you like is freedom - liking what you do is happiness
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Good idea, interestingly the aluminum spacer is now in two parts, Regardless i will still need to remove the thickness of the 14ga steel out of the longer aluminum spacer piece.

I have to order a bunch of parts from Vraptor, maybe i should figure out all the parts i need from him and make one big order.

**I just noticed that you mentioned that you have sold your car..... what happened there?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to have to make more time moving forward.

Volunteered to help build a garage... weekends lost.
    IMG_1368.JPG

Volunteered to help remove a 25 Kva generator from a multi million dollar home because the owner let me keep it.
    IMG_1387.JPG

After talking with the guy in that home he mentioned that he had a quad trail on his property that he wanted to use but it was now overgrown with trees. So he bought me a new chainsaw as payment to clear out the trail that covered 150 acres of land. I underestimated the time required for this, but it was a TON of fun. (and I got a free chainsaw :-))

I received my first order of Vspeedworks parts and they are really nice ( I needed the shifter mounts, figured I should order a few more parts while I was at it)
    IMG_1390.JPG

I found this diagram that shows how to mount the slave, etc.
    IMG_1319.GIF

Heres what It looked like complete.
    IMG_1402.JPG

This is how I plan to get someone to help me lift it up.
    IMG_1382.JPG

This weekend I am heading out camping (last time this year as the snow is already starting to fall here).... I hope to invest more time in the weeks to come.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_1412.JPG

Trans is now attached to the engine. (two of us just lifted it up and bolted it in).

Now there are some new problems to solve.

1) the shift linkages will need a custom mount created and welded together. The factory trans holes wont work.
    IMG_1405.JPGIMG_1406.JPG

2) Back to the problem I was having with rear tire alignment. The problem has to be one of two things. 1, the tie rod end is to short, 2, the tie rod itself is to short. Maybe they are not factory. Can someone check there set and let me know which one is right. The rear tie rod is 4.75 inches long, the front tie rods are 9" long. by my calculations the right length would be around 7.25". The tie rod itself is 12.5 inches long, measured from the plate it bolts into to the threads that the tie rod screws into. (see pictures).
    IMG_1409.JPGIMG_1411.JPG

3) (didn't take any pictures) The trans doesn't fit into the GTM rear trans mount. The trans mount is 1/2 or so thicker then the G50 mount that the GTM comes with. I will have to cut off the factory trans mount tabs and weld them back on a little wider.

Post Thanks / Like

another day a little more progress.

The guys on the "other forum" came to the rescue and I now have answers to most of my questions.

I cut off and ground the old mounts down
    IMG_1413.JPG

test fit now without the bracket
    IMG_1414.JPGIMG_1415.JPG

The trans will have to go up a little higher because the trans adapter hangs down under the car.
    IMG_1416.JPG

Now I need a welder but first the welder plug. I made it to the hardware store 10 minutes before it closed and picked up the Nema 6-50 plug and what I though was the right sized plate. The store was closing so I had to move fast.... I guess I grabbed the wrong one, I will have to go back tomorrow.
    IMG_1419.JPGIMG_1420.JPGIMG_1421.JPG

I am going to pick up a buddies Hobart gas mig this week, the plan now is to create cardboard templates of the brackets that I need to make, I will then take those to my friend to cut out on his CNC.

Post Thanks / Like
    bought the 97-08 Bump Steer Kit from
    http://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=944
    today

$500 Cad by the time it gets to my door but i feel that its worth it. I was just reading crash's notes in another thread about the amount of force that gets put on the linkage. Oh well, another day another $500

Lit myself on fire yesterday while running the grinder, took a look down and saw that my hoodie was on fire. That was fun. No injuries though but the garage still smells like burnt hoodie.

i fixed the welder plug as well, i had to make a custom mounting plate because the hardware stores around my house don't carry what i needed.
    Last edited by tanderson1; 10-14-2015 at 05:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Waiting on Orders to come in isnt a ton of fun.

Almost a month in and the Bump steer kit hasn't even been shipped yet.
    New rubber bushings for the radiator have been over 3 weeks without being shipped.
    I bought some new tools to assemble the CV's, those are MIA. (couldn't find the tool locally)

hope some orders will be here soon so i can resume progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm curious, what "tools" are needed to assemble CVs?
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the only thing you should have needed to assemble, compress the snap ring together to slide the CV over. The only thing I can think of.

IMG_2664.JPG

IMG_2665.JPG
    GTM #370
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty productive day, I will try and post some photos tomorrow (I have a few hours tomorrow to work on the car as well).

Brake lines and clutch lines are in although I need to buy a few new fittings because I stripped out the T that goes on the front brake master. The ones from FFR seem a little cheap, I will pick up a better quality one. The kit also didn't come with enough brake line to finish the clutch and brakes. The manual mentions different lengths of brake line however I only received 60" lengths. So I will have to go to the store to pick up another couple of feet to finish the last rear brake tomorrow.

I disassembled both corvette axels and cleaned all the axel components of all grease. I mocked everything up so tomorrow should be smooth sailing. I still don't have the banding clamp pliers that I ordered so I wont be able to do up the CV boots (that's the tool I was talking about)

The radiator rubber bushings came in today, Once the brakes are all bled and tested and the windshield washer fluid container is in tomorrow I can get that all mounted.

So for tomorrow:
    Washer fluid tank install
    radiator install
    Mount axels in car (assuming I can find the tool locally)
    Ebrake lines
    Shifter mount (I bought the Vraptor pieces, I just need to weld them in)

This leaves:
    Coolant lines
    Fuel system
    (rear bump steer kit still hasn't arrived)
    Rear mount for transmission (have to weld something up)
    Attaching the wiring harness (premade)
    Wheel alignment

Then I can gocart... I am getting excited about gocarting :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    When installing the coolant lines make sure that the larger one is your suction line. It will be the one that goes on the passenger side, if I remember correctly. In my manual (paper and E-book) it had the smaller line as the suction line.
    GTM #370
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    When installing the coolant lines make sure that the larger one is your suction line. It will be the one that goes on the passenger side, if I remember correctly. In my manual (paper and E-book) it had the smaller line as the suction line.
    Thanks Edgeman, I still have that marked in my book from when we talked on the phone. :-)

I mounted the battery tray and washer fluid bottle. I will use a small piece of tube with a bolt though it to secure the top of the washer bottle. That will ensure that it doesn't move at all. I drove all over town looking for the last fittings for the brakes, turns out no one carry's brake line fittings anymore because "there is no money in it". I went to 5 automotive stores and received the same response at each one. (I ordered them off Amazon, should be here soon). In the meanwhile i used the fitting that came with the master cylinder and the T that was supposed to be used at the back of the car. Works great.
    IMG_1656.JPG

My buddy was over, he welded in the VSpeedworks cable shift mount kit that i bought. Fit perfect, was short one bolt (kit comes with 6 bolts, requires 7 if you follow the pictures on the site).
    IMG_1661.JPG

This is the welder that i had to wire into the garage, works amazing.
    IMG_1664.JPG

Shifter installed
    IMG_1665.JPG

I finally figured out how to mount the shifter cables to the trans. Turns out the bracket that came with the trans is a perfect fit. I just had to remove the bracket flip it over 180 degrees and put it back together. Not sure how i didn't see that before.
    IMG_1666.JPG

the rear bump steer kit that i bought 2 months ago still isn't here yet. I was told it shipped over a month ago, I have called the company that I ordered it from 5 times, they seem to have no idea where it is. I might have to cancel the Visa payment on it and cut ties with that company to get my money back.... ARRGGG.

I started putting on the front bump steer kit. I don't quite understand how its supposed to go together or how it would help with bump steer. It mounts in the same way the factory unit mounts and has almost the same clearance. I also don't see how it would be adjustable... is that what all the washers are for? is that how it adjusts? If so it doesn't adjust by much.

I finished putting the axles together and got stuck on the Porsche side clips. Only one C Clip was in the box... I needed one more 1" clip, once again i hit every automotive store around me and turned up nothing. I had to order a kit containing 300 clips for $8 off the internet, that should be here soon as well.

I think i'm going to have to install the AC lines next before the coolant system because its easier to climb in the front without the radiator.

Post Thanks / Like

More progress

IMG_1665.JPG
    The shifter mounted a little different then the images on the vspeedworks site http://vraptorspeedworks.com/cable-s...g-bracket-kit/. My shifter ends about 1" more forward then the images on that site. Not exactly sure why but I am tall, that comes with long arms so 1" further away from the seat might be a good thing.

IMG_1668.JPG
    This banjo fitting doesn't have a bolt so i will need to buy one. The manual simply says "use the supplied bolt"... not sure what it was supposed to be included with. (I have two slave cylinders, i didn't get a bolt with either)

IMG_1670.JPG IMG_1671.JPG
    Axles fit right in, I just need to put some thread lock on the bolts and get them locked down.

IMG_1678.JPG
    The rear bump steer kit just arrived, postmarked from last Tuesday (3 weeks after i was told it was shipped...) regardless its here and looks great! Now i just need to get all the bolts locked down.

Brake lines are now 100% complete, I will pick up some brake fluid on the way home from work tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Now is the time to safety wire the CV joint bolts to the transaxle. It becomes harder to get to when more stuff gets installed. They have a tendency to loosen.
    Just an old man with a great hobby

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Reid View Post
    Now is the time to safety wire the CV joint bolts to the transaxle. It becomes harder to get to when more stuff gets installed. They have a tendency to loosen.
    good idea, thanks. I don't think the bolts had holes in them, nothing a drill press wont fix. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Progress, progress, progress...

First the current road blocks... The Medeola slave cylinder uses an M10 banjo bolt and banjo fitting that came with the GTM. I used G96 transmission that seems to use an M12-1 banjo bolt and fitting. I visited 6 automotive stores none carry M12... all carry M10.. I guess M12 is not common. I ended up ordering an M12-1 bolt from Vancouver if it fits I will pick up the fitting from the internet somewhere.

Safety wire was hard to find but i finally found a shop that carried it. I also bought the fancy spinning pliers because i can never pass up an excuse to buy a new tool.... I also bought 3 new torque wrenches and 3 new ratchets.

I picked up almost all of the required fluids like coolant, Dot 3 brake fluid, engine oil. However i still have to pickup transmission fluid, seems most people on line are very picky about what they use.... I think i might pick up transmission fluid directly from Porsche.

IMG_1713.JPGIMG_1714.JPG
    I bought my fuel pump/filters/mounts/regulator/rails and most of the required fittings for the fuel system.

I have ordered some new parts
    Sway bar: http://quickracingproducts.com/html/chassis.html
    Fuel Tanks: http://quickracingproducts.com/html/fuel_system.html
    Door Switches http://quickracingproducts.com/html/electrical.html

All in all this week cost about $4000... the value of the Canadian dollar has thrown my complete budget off by about $30,000.

Still enjoying it though :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are using a Mendeola transaxle, then you should be talking to Ian and using what Mendeola recommends. I know for the transaxles we run from them we run a combination of Neo and RedLine fluids and it has worked VERY well. I have put the Neo fluids in the other street vehicles I own and had good results.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    If you are using a Mendeola transaxle, then you should be talking to Ian and using what Mendeola recommends. I know for the transaxles we run from them we run a combination of Neo and RedLine fluids and it has worked VERY well. I have put the Neo fluids in the other street vehicles I own and had good results.
    The trans is a G96 Porsche.. I might just pick the fluids up from Porsche, lots of Porsche forums seem to recommend that.

I received an email from Ted at Quick Racing Products. It turns out he is out of fuel tanks and Ron isn't making them anymore. He mentioned that he might be able to talk Ron into making more tanks if we could get a group buy together. He thinks we would need to order at least 5, I replied to his email, i assume he is talking to Ron before getting back to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://http://www.fueltankparts.com/...-five-gtm.html

Here is a link to a company that makes them. Boyd welding, he is a vendor on this forum.
    Last edited by mikespms; 12-22-2015 at 09:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tanderson1 View Post
    First the current road blocks... The Medeola slave cylinder uses an M10 banjo bolt and banjo fitting that came with the GTM. I used G96 transmission that seems to use an M12-1 banjo bolt and fitting. I visited 6 automotive stores none carry M12... all carry M10.. I guess M12 is not common. I ended up ordering an M12-1 bolt from Vancouver if it fits I will pick up the fitting from the internet somewhere.
    I don't quite get it. If you are using a Porsche transaxle, then why do you say you are using a "Mendeola" slave cylinder?
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.fueltankparts.com/replace...-five-gtm.html
    Mike link would not work, So I reposted it. Good to know that another vendor makes them.
    Last edited by Edgeman; 12-22-2015 at 11:20 AM.
    GTM #370
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.boydwelding.com/

Try this one.Look under replacement tanks
    Last edited by mikespms; 12-22-2015 at 02:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    I don't quite get it. If you are using a Porsche transaxle, then why do you say you are using a "Mendeola" slave cylinder?
    sorry i see the confusion now.

I have the complete Mendeola GTM kit but changed my mind. I have the M10 pieces that came from the Medeola kit but they don't fit the G96.

Sorry, made more sense in my head when i was typing it :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.boydwelding.com/

Try this one.Look under replacement tanks
    http://www.fueltankparts.com/replace...-five-gtm.html
    Mike link would not work, So I reposted it. Good to know that another vendor makes them.

Thanks guys, i had seen his site before but his tanks are for the factory fuel pumps.... but you do raise a good point.

I have send him an email and asked if he can make me a set with the factory pump location removed and replaced with a -10an fitting for the fuel pump.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget the fuel indicator.
    GTM #370
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget the fuel indicator.
    Good point. Thanks.

I have been thinking about traction control as i am thinking about going with a new LS7.... I am thinking about building a traction control system by hand... this ones quite the novel so it gets its own thread.
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...106#post222106

Post Thanks / Like
    for anyone in Alberta Canada like me, I have found the basic rules for what needs to be completed before being certified to run on the road.

There might be a more recent version of this but i couldn't find one.
    http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2009_122.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    I started off the weekend by filling/bleeding the brakes. I had a 2 air leaks that took me a while to track down. The first was in the fitting at the top of the master cylinder which caused me to have to rerun the front brake line. Once the leaks were gone the lines bled easily.

I locktite'd, torqued and safety wired the axels. This process took no less then 6 hours. The drilling of the bolts took the majority of the time. Most of my drill bits are brand new and couldn't make a dint in the hard bolts using my drill press. I bought a set of BigDog bits a while back at tradeshow, they worked like MAGIC for about 3 bolts before the titanium ends broke off. They were able to drill through the bolts like butter. I bought safety wire pliers which made short work of actually getting everything wired up.

I then took the time to adjust the CableShift unit so i could get through all the gears without the shifter hitting sides or bottoming out the cables. I then spend the next 10 minutes or so sitting in the drivers seat shifting gears while making vroom vroom noises with my daughter, its a toss up for who had more fun.

I shifted focus to the ebrake, the one from the doner was covered in rust so i soaked it in rust remover
    IMG_1771.JPG

This is the after shot. (about 2 hours later)
    IMG_1772.JPG

It wouldn't fit because it was quite bent. I don't think this is factory, i think someone must have bent it by pulling WAY to hard.
    IMG_1774.JPG

I bent it back to flat and then a little bit more in the other direction so it clears the center console.
    IMG_1780.JPG

Connections to the rear went together as planned..
    IMG_1791.JPG

Where have people been mounting this piece. I saw that Shane has a kit but it wont fit because my starter is in the same mounting location.
    IMG_1792.JPG

I shifted my attention to the AC lines. I started by putting in all the lines loosely (heater/AC)
    IMG_1784.JPG

I could not get the evap unit to sit where the manual says. Upon further investigation (by watching FastThings videos) i saw that it mounts better just behind the coolant tank. The reason i couldn't get the unit to fit there was because i used the 6" extension as the manual stated.... i will be removing that 6" piece, which is a shame because it was a ***** to get it in there in the first place.
    IMG_1788.JPG

The heater lines come with fittings that turn 90 degrees. why? it seems this would be easier to plumb if they were straight fittings.
    IMG_1789.JPG

These seals were in the box with the AC pieces... what are they?
    were they supposed to go on the AC compressor fitting?
    Does anyone know what these are for.
    IMG_1783.JPG

I also have a few parts on order
    1) I ordered the heater bypass solenoid from Crash's website today.
    2) Fuel tanks should be finished this week and shipped out (they are being custom made by Boyd's). They have AN fittings and a fuel pickup in the drivers side and a sending unit on the passenger side.
    3) Aeromotive fuel rails should be here next week
    4) M12 banjo bolt and fitting for the clutch

I head out to CES (Tradeshow) on Tuesday, back for a few days then off to Bett in London (Another Tradeshow), back for a few days then off to ISE in Amsterdam (yet another Tradeshow)..... so it might be a while before i post another update. :-) I do plan on getting some Traction control planning done in my other thread while traveling.
    Last edited by tanderson1; 01-03-2016 at 11:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tanderson1 View Post
    ...The heater lines come with fittings that turn 90 degrees. why? it seems this would be easier to plumb if they were straight fittings...
    I contacted Vintage air and they had some straight fittings. I used the straight ones.
    Just an old man with a great hobby

Post Thanks / Like

Getting back into it.

so i have been off traveling for work for the last month... back now and ready to get back into it.

lots of parts arrived while i was gone,
    1. the aluminum fuel tanks from Boyd
    2. the heater bypass kit
    3. the rest of the fuel system fittings
    4. the M12 banjo bolt for the clutch

Tonight i went to a local car show then came home and finished the clutch plumbing and bleeding. I was shocked to see a GTM at the show. It was in about the same state as mine, not quite running but almost there. It looked like a twin turbo LS7 setup, its all being built by a local shop, doesn't look like the owner is doing anything himself. I grabbed the shops card so i can try and get a hold of the owner later.

I worked for a month straight without weekends or evenings so i have a few weeks of time off saved up, the current plan is to take a week off next month to focus on finishing the gokart.

Post Thanks / Like

pictures from the car show. (Post 1/2)

Post Thanks / Like

pictures from the car show. (Post 2/2)

Post Thanks / Like

somewhat productive day.

I have everything between me and gokart in a checklist now, I made it though a small portion of that list today.

I had to remove the rad to get the drill to mount the grounding strap. (I should have mounted this earlier, whoops)
    IMG_2599.JPG

I mounted up the rear trans support cut the old brackets to fit the new transmission and tack welded them in place. This is where i ran into a problem that i am still scratching my head on how to fix. The bolts that need to go though the bracket and trans are now blocked by the square tube that runs down, I think my only option is to cut the square tube, weld in a smaller tube that fits inside and then drill a bolt hole though. This would allow the metal thats in the way to be removed, bolt put in, then reattached.
    IMG_2602.JPGIMG_2603.JPGIMG_2605.JPG

Gas tanks look great. I have been reading about how to mount these... i'm not a big fan of the 2x4 method, wood seems wrong somehow.
    IMG_2607.JPG

this is the clutch banjo and flexible line that i ended up with. Its all bled now.
    IMG_2608.JPG

I took apart the donor gas peddle, painted it black, mocked it up, drilled the holes, put in the rivnuts, now just waiting for the paint to dry before mounting one last time.
    IMG_2611.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope that he has traction control! It looks great but with this light of a car, might be a waste. JMHO.
    GTM #370
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope that he has traction control! It looks great but with this light of a car, might be a waste. JMHO.
    I agree, but i do have Turbo envy :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    found some time to go out today.

Today was problem solving day.

1) i welded new transmission mounts the other day however its impossible to get the bolt in because the support was in the way. I welded two new braces on and moved the support forward 3" on the passenger side. Repainted everything and put it back on the car again. Problem solved.

2) I had a stupid moment and put the eccentric bolts in and mounted all of the suspension before i put the aluminum foot boxes in. I had not noticed that i had the bolt in the wrong way around so it can never be removed. It just so happens that the pieces i bought from Shane have to be welded to the bolt that now cant be removed. So....... I had to drill out a fair amount of rivets, removed the bolt, and then put them all back.

3) the brake line supports prevented me from installing the floor aluminum, had to drill out those rivets, mount the floor aluminum then put it all back.

4) the clutch master cylinder leaks where the reservoir plastic meets the metal cylinder.... I have tried to fix this 5 times with no luck before today. So today i took it all apart, hit the plastic with a heat gun like the instructions originally asked for until the plastic was softer. I then remounted it and cranked the crap out of the bolt that holds it on. Refilled and bled the system again. I then put a piece of paper under it for a few hours...... no drips yet.

We live and we learn.... today wasn't a step backwards but it sure as hell didn't get me any ways forward.

I ordered these parts today from Chev
    - Another Starter bolt (I need two of the factory longer ones for the new starter)
    - Metal mount for EVAP canister
    - Bolts for exhaust manifold
    - Exhaust studs for mounting headers GM dealership, GM# 12561310.
    - Bracket that holds the brake light switch (forgot to take this off the donor)

Still have to find.
    - transmission fluid (the gear oil everyone recommends on the Porsche forum's isn't available in Canada)

so by my calculations this is whats left before i can drive it around the block.
    1. check that i mounted down all steering bolts.
    2. find bolts that will fit though the new trans mount.
    3. finish front aluminum,
    4. rivet radiator down again.
    5. attach the heater lines again
    6. Fill with coolant
    7. Find a way to finish the emergency brake. (I will have to order a longer brake cable, its good enough for now.)
    8. Mount aluminum pieces that go beside the fuel tanks.
    9. Mount fuel tank (not going to use a 2x4)
    10. Mount pump+filters
    11. plumb fuel lines
    12. Fill engine with oil.
    13. Fill Trans with oil. (have to buy it first)
    14. grease all zerks
    15. install new plug wires. (i have them in a box.... somewhere)
    16. Mount Starter, (new bolt is on order)
    17. Mount clutch peddle stop (read the forum post where this caused damage when it was missed)
    18. Mount ECU, (I already modified the bracket)
    19. Run wiring harness. (I bought a premade one, this should be quick)
    20. Mount the seat (sliding rails are $250 each side locally... i might have to hit a junk yard to see what i can find.)
    21. Exhaust (just the factory/GTM stuff for now, I have to buy the kooks)
    22. Aircond, finish plumbing, fill AC lines.

Post Thanks / Like

Productive Week, will post photo soon .

So i took a week off work to work on the car. From my previous list these items are now complete.
    1. Check that i mounted down all steering bolts. (torque to spec, with thread lock)
    2. Find bolts that will fit though the new trans mount. (starter bolts fit perfect)
    3. Finish front aluminum,
    4. Rivet radiator down again.
    5. Attach the heater lines again
    6. Fill with coolant (24 litres in there so far, once the engine starts i bet it gets to 30ish)
    7. Mount fuel pump+filters
    8. Mount fuel rails
    9. Create metal mounting point for the fuel regulator
    10. Create a metal floor to mount the fuel pump to on the drivers side)
    11. Create a metal plate to mount the engine bay fuses to.
    12. Fill engine with oil.
    13. Grease all zerks
    14. Install new plug wires. (i have them in a box.... somewhere)
    15. Mount Starter, (new bolt is on order)
    16. Mount ECU, (I already modified the bracket)
    17. Run wiring harness. (I had to change a few ends but i would highly recommend buying a premade one like i did.)
    18. Exhaust (just the factory/GTM stuff for now, Kooks ordered)
    19. Aircond, finish plumbing

These items i missed off my last list are also complete
    1. Engine Grounded (had to buy a few grounding straps for engine/trans)
    2. Fix clutch leak at slave
    3. Fix brake leak at reservoir
    4. Drained the old oil, replaced the filter
    5. Replace the broken bolt on the suspension and find a bolt for the cable shift bracket.
    6. Created block off plates for the air system on the exhaust
    7. Plugged the EGR tubes on the intake
    8. Basic alignment (using tape measure, to be fixed by the pros later)
    9. Install the heater bypass valve (I think this came from crash's site, i bought it a while ago)

These items are still left (but most of these are not stopping me from starting it)

1. Mount clutch peddle stop (Visited a few hardware stores and came up with a plan, just have to install it)
    2. Wire the radiator fan in. (harness is done but i don't have the connectors for the fans, ordered new ones off Ebay, will be here soon)
    3. Mount the seat (ordered rails from Amazon, not delivered yet)
    4. Fill AC lines. (R134a doesn't seem to exist in Canada anymore, all the kits i can find are 22a, Walmart seems to sell R134a online, i will try that)
    5. Install some kind of fusable link between the engine and the starter/alternator (big positive cable beside the exhaust scares me)
    6. Fill Trans with oil. (Found on Amazon for $40 a litre, its a rip off buy my only choice, i ordered it)
    7. I lost (or maybe never took off the donor) the MAF sensor.... cant start the car without it. (ordered a new one)
    8. Find a way to finish the emergency brake. (I will have to order a longer brake cable, its good enough for now.)
    9. Mount aluminum pieces that go beside the fuel tanks. (have to drill them for the cross over pipe)
    10. Mount fuel tank (I bought a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 rubber at a local hardware store, I will cut a few 2x4 style strips out of it to build a rubber version of the wooden 2x4 that everyone seems to use)
    11. Secure down each of the fuel line connectors
    12. Mount the pillow bearing by the peddle box, the current FFR part isn't large enough to mount the bearing, i will need to weld some new metal on.

I also had my 2 post lift fail which took about 5 hours to fix. The passenger side of the lift stuck fully extended and wouldn't go down, but the drivers side did go down. The car was sitting VERY crooked, I could have dropped the car if I wasn't paying attention. I had to prop up the system with a 2x4 and a floor jack. I then tried to fix the high pressure line fittings that were leaking.... While i did fix the leak the jack would still not descend. I then figured out that i had to much rear weight after the engine and transmission were installed, that was causing the part of the lift that moves up and down to push against the rear of the housing with a TON of force. I jacked up the rear of the car and with a loud BAMM! the whole thing settled onto the safety stops again. Once the car was back on the ground i was able to re-position the jack points, grease the inside of the lift and test it again. WORKS! Was a very stressful couple of hours as the car could have slipped off and fallen 6 feet to the floor. (it was sitting pretty crooked until i could get it to dislodge)

I have completely planned out the fuel system, everything is mocked up now with the proper AN connectors and nice stainless steel braided hoses. I should have done more research on the costs associated with the aluminum tanks mixed with proper AN connectors. So far the fuel system alone has set me back about $5000, that's for rails, tanks, AN ends and fittings, filters, pump, regulator, gauges, hoses, chrome mounts, etc. However if a had to do it again i don't think i would change a thing..... except for the bad planning that left me with tons of extra hose and AN fittings.

I think the best part of this progress was how much floor space i gained in the garage. Its now easier to walk around the car and work.

I will post some pictures of the GTM when i get home tonight.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast