Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UPDATE APRIL 3: 2015 Huntington Beach Cruise-In Official Thread

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

UPDATE APRIL 3: 2015 Huntington Beach Cruise-In Official Thread

Hey Guys,

2015 is our 20th anniversary and we are trying to plan a bit further ahead than normal. With that in mind, we should have the registration forms up for the 2015 Huntington Beach Cruise-In event shortly, but I wanted to at least make sure everyone knew the date and time.

This year's 8th annual Huntington Beach Cruise-In will be held on Saturday, April 25th from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Here are some photos from last year. If you've never been to the HB Cruise-In, check out last year's report.

If anyone has any special requests of ideas for this year's show, let us know!

Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting this Dave, never too early to start promoting this great event.
    Doug

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I went last year for the first time. I will be very sad if I ever miss it again. It's a must do. Hope to meet even more people from the forum in person this year. I'm planning on bring my car this time along with a few other Arizona Cobra Club members and cars.

Thanks, Dave. It should be a blast.

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've been a slave-to-the-grind and absent from the forums. Likely won't change too much going forward, BUT if there is something special you guys want to do for HB cruise-in this year, let the crew here know. I'm meeting with a very cool VIP who I am going to ask to come to the show as a special guest, to meet folks, and to sign autographs. No firm detials yet, but the registration forms, web post and all should be up as soon as I know the commit from my friend. I'm stoked as ever for this year's show and will plan on surfing sunday morning if Hoy and anyone else is up for dawn patrol a few blocks north of the pier (14th street was my spot when I lived in HB).
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    I've been a slave-to-the-grind and absent from the forums. Likely won't change too much going forward, BUT if there is something special you guys want to do for HB cruise-in this year, let the crew here know. I'm meeting with a very cool VIP who I am going to ask to come to the show as a special guest, to meet folks, and to sign autographs. No firm detials yet, but the registration forms, web post and all should be up as soon as I know the commit from my friend. I'm stoked as ever for this year's show and will plan on surfing sunday morning if Hoy and anyone else is up for dawn patrol a few blocks north of the pier (14th street was my spot when I lived in HB).

Dave, I think you can go ahead and give the big news.

Yes, it's true: I'll be there...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Dave, I think you can go ahead and give the big news.
    Yes, it's true: I'll be there...
    David
    Are you planning on charging $10 for your autograph like Big Daddy does?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be there, a friend will be bring his MK4 there for the first time. It's always been an outstanding event.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I love this event like no other. We've got a good jump on planning and should be a blast.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    The boys from Vegas will be there . . . working on "winter mods" as we speak. There's always room for improvement on my MKII.
    Hope to meet up with a lot of old friends and make a bunch more.
    Mike-n-Julie, you better be bringing the [completed] coupe . . . no pressure, but there's more of what I surprised you guys with last year if you do. LOL !

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    LQQKS like i'll make it again....

hoping for cool weather like last year!

Post Thanks / Like
    Pam & I will be there with the GTM. Looking forward to it.

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Any chance on anther Sunday event at the shifter cart track in riverside like there was 2 years ago. Or maybe some other race track down there for time trials auto cross drags? Have a mini mini nationals run what you brung.
    Anyone have any interest in this.

Just thinking out loud

Freddie

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a suggestion FF5 should encourage under construction builds to display their cars. My first impressions of these cars were seeing them at Knots Kit Car and seeing Dan Zio's Plumb Loco under construction. His car was loaded with all kinds of wonderful modifications displaying loads of possibilities for the Kit. I would venture to say that it would be one of the high lights of the show as well as a big seller for the company. Maybe you could have a best under construction award and a place to park their trailers... I am into my 7th year now of construction with tons of Mods... JJ Can't wait for the show...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ'snakepit View Post
    Here is a suggestion FF5 should encourage under construction builds to display their cars. My first impressions of these cars were seeing them at Knots Kit Car and seeing Dan Zio's Plumb Loco under construction. His car was loaded with all kinds of wonderful modifications displaying loads of possibilities for the Kit. I would venture to say that it would be one of the high lights of the show as well as a big seller for the company. Maybe you could have a best under construction award and a place to park their trailers... I am into my 7th year now of construction with tons of Mods... JJ Can't wait for the show...
    I'd consider bringing my 818 up on a trailer. It is just about a go-cart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey everyone, we're considering doing a cruise up to Hells kitchen off Ortega highway on Sunday. More details to come.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ'snakepit View Post
    I think what you are asking for John is a trophy category for under construction, since these cars are already allowed and encouraged.

I spoke with FFR this AM and we added the "Under Construction" category trophy. Actually I should say added back. It used to be there, because I won it! I don't know why it went away but this year it's back. Thanks for the reminder/suggestion.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    I was planning on bringing my MKIV down two weeks earlier to Jeff "Batman" miller for paint. Maybe I should hold off a couple weeks and bring it to Huntington Beach first and then on to Batman???

Post Thanks / Like
    Arvin, That would be a great idea. We would like to see your build.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be there this year
    Chuck

Mk1, MK3, Hotrod, Gen 3 Daytona Coupe, RF GT40
    Hang Up and Drive

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the great idea. I can't tell you why we dropped the "Under Construction" award, but it's back. Thanks also to Hodgkins and his team for the conference call yesterday discussing this post, the show this year and the idea for a Sunday cruise. I remember Denise and I would ride Ortega Highway when we used to live in HB. One Sunday ride, we stopped at Lookout Cafe overlooking lake elsinore and there was DAN GURNEY!!! To this day my wife makes fun of me because, as she says, I acted like an idiot all goo goo gaa gaa Dan this, Dan that... That was 1993 and I met Dan Gurney and it was at the headwaters of everything that became Factory Five. In my opinion, Dan Gurney (maybe Dave Macdonald too had he not been killed at Indy) is the greatest race driver of all time and one of the most decent guys in the business. I'd love to do a Sunday cruise to there.

Also, we'll have to make a "Chuck" Award, the recipient of which is barred fro winning any other awards. Hmmm. Kidding. Can't wait to see you Chuck!
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great event... I'll be driving down from the Bay Area on the Friday before. ... T

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to being a part of this event for the first time and meeting fellow builders! I tried to make it down last year when my 33 was under construction but couldn't make it. Now that it's completed, I will definitely be there!

I think a cruise Sunday would be fun. Keep us posted with the details.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Partly inspired by the naked cobra at HB a couple years ago I took my 33 to a local show minus the main body so people could see the race DNA of a factory Five car. The other big bonus of a work in progress is that it becomes a hands on car instead of just one more in a sea of don't touch the paint vehicles. I took along a seat even though the interior was still bare in case anyone Wookie size wanted a test fit in the car. That is also why I mounted the top to my roll cage so they could check headroom and see the stance of a finished 33 hotrod.

The big bonus was that I spent all day putting children in that seat so their parents could take pictures of them driving a hotrod. The timid ones in each family would stand on the running boards while the oldest sibling was in the seat< several good family shots were taken that way. The work in progress vehicles really help people that haven't had the Koolaid understand what a FF kit car is and why they are fun to build.
    DB
    Hemi33
    nakedhrrs.jpg
    Last edited by myjones; 02-09-2015 at 01:27 PM. Reason: added pic

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the invite, Dave. I'd make the trip in my roadster from Scottsdale just for Hodgkins' autograph! Especially if there's trailer parking at his house again!

See y'all then!

Thanks,
    Will
    FFR MK III picked up 9/24/05 Roller 9/28/05 First start & go-cart 11/28/05 red w/white stripes, PC Chassis, heat/defrost, FFR 15's, pwr footbox vents, radio delete, dual quad 427W, 4 link w/3.27's, Koni's all around, Gen 1 rag top, snapless tonneau, Herb's door panels, NRC rear discs, Breeze head rest, ********** emblems, Paint by Gino's in Rowley, MA
    2011 ffcars.com calendar Cover Car Yes, that's me in the avatar with Dave Smith in front of my roadster at the '06 FFR Open House!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont want to jinks anything, but looking like I might be able to make it this year minus paint. Hope all the stars line up and it gets registered by March. Is anyone going out surfing???? Have an extra board????
    Last edited by LuckyWinner; 02-10-2015 at 05:42 PM.
    Owner MK4 7642RD, 393 stroker, Gordon Levy Super Alloy T5, HDX Clutch, Moser 3.31 3-link with disc brakes, 17" Bullit wheels, NT05's, Seat heaters donated by WarmSeats.com, door panels donated by Herbs Door panels.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyWinner View Post
    Dont want to jinks anything, but looking like I might be able to make it this year minus paint. Hope all the stars line up and it registered by March. Is anyone going out surfing???? Have an extra board????
    Dave usually surfs the morning of the show for a couple of hours.

Read his reply (post #4)

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave.....I'll be there to DJ the event and enjoy meeting the DH VIP?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mr. Dave Smith....you our any of your friends have an extra axe??? Havent gotten wet in about 15 years....but I'm up for dawn patrol. Hope I can still fit in my wet suit lol
    Owner MK4 7642RD, 393 stroker, Gordon Levy Super Alloy T5, HDX Clutch, Moser 3.31 3-link with disc brakes, 17" Bullit wheels, NT05's, Seat heaters donated by WarmSeats.com, door panels donated by Herbs Door panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    For those considering taking their work-in-progress to the show, I highly recommend it. Like myjones above, I took mine to a local cruise night and it was the hit of the show - here it is parked next to my wife's Camaro... she was bummed that mine garnered more comments than hers!!!

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s here! Registration is open and we are getting ready to rock at the 8th annual Factory Five-Huntington Beach Cruise-In!

Spend a day at the beach with over 100 Factory Fives, music, car show awards, and good times!

The 8th Annual Factory Five-Huntington Beach Cruise-In event will be held this year on Saturday, April 25th. This year the town of Huntington Beach is once again closing off the first three blocks of Main Street starting at Pacific Coast Highway! We will have live music from The Fabulous Nomads – Orange County’s oldest surf band, and this year, special VIP guests Pete Brock and Allen Grant. Pete is the famous designer of the 1965 Daytona Coupe and Allen was one of the drivers on the world championship Shelby team. Pete and Allen will be available for autographs and meet & greet.

Factory Five’s Sally Bean will again be in charge of registration.

Please note entrance change this year --> Entrance to the event will be on Walnut Ave. Enter from 1st Street, two blocks South of Main Street. Veer left on Walnut and follow it to the show.

Date and Place: Saturday, April 25th from 9 A.M. – 4 P.M.
    Main Street, Huntington Beach, CA

Schedule:
    9 A.M. – Registration Opens
    10 A.M. – Event Begins, band starts playing
    10:30 A.M. – Car Show Judging
    11:00 A.M. – Meet Pete Brock and Allen Grant for autographs and more
    2:00 P.M. – Car Show Awards and special presentations
    4:00 P.M. – Event Concludes*

*Note: All vehicles must leave Main Street by 4:00 P.M. The parking lot next to the pier plaza on PCH is open until 10:00 P.M.

2014 show saw over 100 Factory Fives invade downtown Huntington Beach. Read last year’s report here.

Car Show Award Categories

Best in Show Overall and Runner-Up
    Best in Show Roadster and Runner-Up
    Best in Show Type 65 Coupe and Runner-Up
    Best in Show GTM and Runner-Up
    Best in Show ’33 Hot Rod and Runner-Up
    Best in Show 818 and Runner-Up
    Best in Show Challenge Car and Runner-Up
    Best Use of Chrome
    Best Paint
    Best Engine
    Best Interior/Details
    Best Under Construction
    Most Innovative Design
    Highest Accrued Mileage
    Factory Five Legacy Award Winner

The Fabulous Nomads surf band will play again during the cruise-in event! The name Nomads is synonymous with waves, sunshine, music, and fun. The Fabulous Nomads, Orange County’s oldest surf band, were instrumental in keeping surf music alive and popular during the 80′s until its complete resurrection in the 90′s.

Last year, Factory Five’s Sally Bean’s daughter Anna jumped in with the band for a few sets on the drums. Photobombing would be Karen Salvaggio, CherieLynn Westrich, and Jo Coddington.

This year, all are welcome (non-FFR makes are invited, BUT space is limited). The cost is $50 and that includes parking at the event and eligibility for car show awards. Note: This is a non-profit customer event. Factory Five Racing charges registration to cover the cost of the event only.

Register here now!

Online registration closes at 5 P.M. EST on April 25th. You may register at the event, but space is NOT guaranteed.

Note: You only need to register if you are bringing your car to be in the show. The show is open to the public and is free.
    Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Directions:

Huntington Beach Pier
    Main St. and Pacific Coast Highway at the base of the Huntington Beach Pier
    Huntington Beach, CA 92648

Where to Stay: Shorebreak Hotel

Right across from the pier plaza and car show is the brand-new Shorebreak Hotel and they are an event sponsor. They are giving our customers a rate of $189.00 (customers must mention they are part of the Factory Five block and ask for the Factory Five rate) for April 24 and 25, 2015 ONLY. Contact them directly to reserve your room and mention that you are attending the Factory Five Huntington Beach Cruise-In to receive the special rate.

Shorebreak Hotel
    500 Pacific Coast Highway
    Huntington Beach, Ca 92648
    714-965-4411
    877-744-1117 Reservations
    www.shorebreakhotel.com

The Cruise-In is the only time all year we get to meet with and hang with Factory Five customers and west coast builders. Left to right: Ray McEdward, Jo Coddington, Dave Smith, and Dee Dodge.

Car show awards give us a chance to recognize master craftsmanship in the community. Lynn Howell earned the Women’s Build Team 427 Special Award with his 15 year anniversary Factory Five Mk4 Roadster.

Read the report from the 2014 Factory Five Huntington Beach Cruise-In here.
    Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be there again this year.

stack
    FFR MKI Roadster FFR2202K Built in 2000 sold
    FFR Hot Rod #39 under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished registering for the show. The countdown has started, only 10 weeks away!!!!!
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    No car (yet), but I'll be there! I'm looking forward to meeting new friends and getting lots of pre-build questions answered.

Post Thanks / Like
    DAVE SMITH...... do you have an extra long board?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dave (LuckyWinner)! Every year, we spend Friday getting details squared away, Saturday morning from first light setting up on Main Street, so I usually try and sneak out for a dawn patrol on Sunday morning. Two years ago, I surfed on the north side of the pier in front of the first life guard tower at about 6:15 AM with Greg Hoy, a friend of mine who has done a lot of Factory Five videos. This year, I am planning on sending out my short board and I don't have any long boards in HB. I know Dave Hodgkins and some other guys who live out there might be able to score you a loaner. They also rent ugly, useless foam rentals at Jack's and Huntington Surf & Sport.

Two years ago, conditions weren't great like waist-chest high, mushy. When HB is small, it doesn't really break at high tide, just shore break. As the tide drops, you can get some fun sections outside a bit. I'm going no matter what, but I won't have time for surf until after the show/work is done. Can't wait to see you out there! Last year, I had just finished hip surgery so I wasn't able to surf.
    Last edited by Dave Smith; 02-16-2015 at 04:26 PM.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Do spots fill up fast? has it ever sold out? Trying to finish up my build and dont want to miss out on a spot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    David (LuckyWinner),

I have a long board for you.

We've never sold out but we do NOT have the pier plaza or upper beach parking we've had in the past so it is possible we will sell out. If you are having issues related to registering (timing) let me know and we'll work something out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyWinner View Post
    DAVE SMITH...... do you have an extra long board?????
    Why would you ask a guy that lives in Rhode Island????

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...on+Beach%2C+CA

For those looking for boards...

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast