Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How Much Does a Radiator Weight?

Post Thanks / Like

How Much Does a Radiator Weight?

Since my build will be electric, I am trying to re-purpose the front "radiator" area to store batteries. I was looking at modifying the front mount to accept a large box, however it got me started thinking about how that section was mounted and how much weight could be placed in that location. A stock radiator with fluid probably weights 25 lbs. (guessing) and the box with batteries weights close to 135 lbs. Pretty large differential ... I can probably stiffen the frame up plus the mounting the box rigidly will add stiffness. What I'm worried most about is how the front frame is mounted. My initial assessment is 135 lbs. is not going to work and I need to either stiffen up the mounts or try moving the batteries to another location. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    are you talking about the area hanging out in front of the wheels? I would agree that 135 pounds would be a lot out there and would likely start to impact vehicle dynamics. As long as the weight was mostly back towards the lower mounting point, you probably don't have much of a strength issue.

Have you already filled up the area where the battery tray is (between cockpit front wall and steering rack)?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd put the weight as close to the center of the car as possible. Can you not fit all the batteries you need by placing them in the area near where the standard 12V battery goes? Stacking them up as high as will fit under the hood? You'd need to weld some more supports in there to handle the weight and provide a nice flat base there of course, but it puts the batteries in the best spot, back against the firewall instead of way out front. You want to avoid weight on the ends of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a total of 96 batteries to fit. Right now I have the following:

Motor Location
    - (2) 3x3 boxes stacked on top of each other with custom rails/mounts on the lower part of the frame

Gas Tank Location
    - (1) 3x3 box on the bottom mounted to the sheet metal that would fit the original gas tank
    - (1) 1x6 stacked on top of the bottom box

12V Battery Location
    - (1) 2x6 box mounted to the frame

Radiator Location
    - (1) 2x9 box mounted to frame with custom mounts welded across frame

I have to cut the frame in the front where the 12V battery should be located to allow room to install the box. It's currently 17" top to bottom and each box is roughly 10" tall. I can probably trim that down a little to try and squeeze another box on top.