Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Details on New Factory Five 818C Coupe

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Details on New Factory Five 818C Coupe

Following the 818S roadster and the 818R track car comes the 818C coupe. Here are some spyshots of the soon-to-be-released Factory Five 818C hard top coupe. The new coupe will be unveiled at the 2015 summer Open House, and we are building the chassis right now in the engineering shop.

Above: The 818S was the first car to launch a year and a half ago. The soft top was introduced about 8 months later.

Above: The 818R followed the 818S launch.

We will introduce AND be in production on the 818C at our summer Open House on June 13th, 2015. Some tentative details are at the bottom of this post.

Above & Below: The front windshield recession and glass are identical to the roadster 818S version. The rake is similar (the roadster windshield rake is slightly adjustable).

Existing 818 door panels will accommodate power side windows, but will require updated door steel.

The rear hatch is designed to be hinged at the top of the rear glass, similar to our GTM.
    Last edited by Dave Smith; 01-19-2015 at 03:29 PM.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Side rear quarter window glass incorporates an air intake slot.

The roof scoop is functional. Fresh air intake for the engine bay with an integral inner linear that ducts air through the cockpit and into the engine bay. This is being designed as a source for cold air to the intercooler.

The 818C project involves about six months of shaping and mold making.

The 818C hard top is designed to retro-fit to all current 818S models. It will not fit the 818R. The design includes the following features:

Power side windows
    Rear quarter glass and side-vented engine bay
    Hinged rear glass hatch
    Inner bulkhead with rear window
    Inner hard top linear with air intake duct to engine bay
    Comes with front windshield glass

Pricing is not available at this time. Production start date is estimated June 2015.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm in love.

With fiberglass!

Dave, I know this thread is going to explode but let me be the first to say,

THAT'S HOF!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    looks GOOD!

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy Crap! That looks like it's going to be amazing! Can't wait to see it all together. Still have a while before I'm doing body work, this will be added to my kit for sure! Thanks for the info Dave!
    --Joe
    818S #234 V7 EJ207 Spec-C (VF34) Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    THIS is fantastick!
    Bless you Dave Smith for making this happen so quickly!!!
    Last edited by Niburu; 01-19-2015 at 03:47 PM.
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW this is cool. Keep us posted with more details Dave and thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. Where do I send me deposit?
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job to the guys at FFR
    they have done a fabulous job on the top
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it is HOF! Dave, please take my full payment now!

Or, please put me on the Gottagetit ASAP list.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ditto, very nice job FFR, but I feel there much more up your sleeves!!
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    Like most things, wait till you see it in flesh with the body...it is OMG awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Been an absentee forum-guy and, as I said in another post, that aint likely to change much. Still I wanted to see the reaction of the shape. We do have some other things up our sleeves, but I can tell you one thing for sure, the execution on the 818 program from inception to the derivative products has been outstanding. I am so proud to work with these guys and the organization continues to mature and gain skills at a really exciting pace. The coolest thing about all the 818 stuff like this hardtop is that we are making sure the parts are retrofittable to 001 that way guys who bought an 818 can upgrade, change, drive their cars as they see fit. As more and more cars get completed, we are seeing the quality of the launch and development plan pay off in huge dividends. More to come for sure and Summer Open house will see the car unveiled.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    This coupe design looks great!
    I would definitely call it a "coupe" design though, as opposed to a "hardtop" since the glass is part of it in the front (correct me if I'm wrong), so you can't remove it easily and have a roadster. Looks like it replaces a trunk lid panel (or two) also?

The Miatas and S2000 both allow for this, but both design approaches have merit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow I am very impressed and I am more impressed that this will be retrofitted. Put me on the list!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    Been an absentee forum-guy and, as I said in another post, that aint likely to change much. Still I wanted to see the reaction of the shape. We do have some other things up our sleeves, but I can tell you one thing for sure, the execution on the 818 program from inception to the derivative products has been outstanding. I am so proud to work with these guys and the organization continues to mature and gain skills at a really exciting pace. The coolest thing about all the 818 stuff like this hardtop is that we are making sure the parts are retrofittable to 001 that way guys who bought an 818 can upgrade, change, drive their cars as they see fit. As more and more cars get completed, we are seeing the quality of the launch and development plan pay off in huge dividends. More to come for sure and Summer Open house will see the car unveiled.
    Can I get an awesome!!!! Yea this just happened woohoo
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG. This is amazing. I've been waiting for this for so long and now it's just what I wanted in the top and so much more. Can't wait til June and if there is a hotlist to get on I want on. Amazing job FFR and Dave.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks fantastic! The 818 keeps getting better and better!
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool! Definitely going to be an addition to my build!
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Who do I pay a deposit to be first in line?

Post Thanks / Like
    while this doesn't fit my build plan (I had originally pictured something more along the lines of a removable hard top), I can certainly say kudos on the design, and I'll be good with the soft top anyway, so no need to pander to me. .

The lines should look great, and I like the integration of a roof scoop. It will be very interesting to see the details under that top as far as separation between the passenger compartment and the engine. Should buyers start sprucing up their engine bays for a Ferrari 360 Modena style show?

Cheers!

-Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it.
    Does this look to everyone to be an easy swap from hardtop to roadster and vice versa?
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 01-19-2015 at 11:07 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! Looks awesome, and another great execution by the folks at Factory Five!

I look forward to seeing it with the rest of the body.

C'mon open house, get here quick! Just awesome...

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations and a Big Thank You to the entire Factory Five Racing 818 development team for a job well done!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It looks great. I do see quite a bit of Cayman in the lines, but that's not a bad thing. I'd like to know if this is an all-or-nothing upgrade, or if a minimal top (without power windows, etc..) would be an option. Also, how easy it would be to change out seasonally to top-less? This would pretty much require a windshield defogger, if not required by law, good sense in a small closed cockpit. Although I love the look, I don't know if it's in my future, as heated seats and a bikini top is my current plan, and all I really need in my climate.

Post Thanks / Like
    This looks great. The continuous refinement and development of the car is very encouraging. I am very happy I decided to build my 818. I am having a great time now and it looks like a lot more fun late in 2015 adding this mod to my car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am very excited about this. It looks even better than I hoped it would.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    W00t! So glad I waited until today dave! I can't believe I called it on FB. :3:3:3

More good things from FFR!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great, can't wait to see it on the car!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oboy!!!!!! Very nice. VERY nice. I can just about visualize what the whole car is going to look like with that top on it. There will be a lot of takers for that, for sure. I will probably be approaching go-kart status with my kit about the time this new top becomes available. Which means that ordering it as an upgrade could be a real option. As nice as it is, though, I'm guessing that I'll probably stay with the roadster version, buying the optional soft top -- UNLESS.......... there might be a Targa top version coming too??????? One can hope!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well there goes my budget! Great job, can't wait to see the final product!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by icky View Post
    Who do I pay a deposit to be first in line?
    Too late, I am number one on the list.

Post Thanks / Like
    so, who is going to photoshop these together to get an idea? i can see it in my head but would like to see it in a picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks fantastic! It sounds like the installation is similar to the 33 hot rod, were it's bolted down in front and behind the seats. Since it'll need new door steel, I wonder if the retro fit for existing roadster owners will need new door skins and door cards if they choose to install the power windows, or if they'll need to take apart their existing doors for the new steel?
    I really like the "Swatch Watch" approach to this car.
    Just hope we will have the option to order the new door steel when ordering the car to be able to add the hardtop at a later time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chucky797 View Post
    so, who is going to photoshop these together to get an idea? i can see it in my head but would like to see it in a picture.
    I was thinking the same thing. Would love to see this on a car. Good job Dave.
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the way the lines go towards the back of the car. Very nice...Looking forward to my upgrade.....
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm interested now
    Chuck

Mk1, MK3, Hotrod, Gen 3 Daytona Coupe, RF GT40
    Hang Up and Drive

Post Thanks / Like
    Where's Vman when we need him

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Outstanding. Looks incredible from what I can tell and that rear window will be fantastic for showing off the engine bay, if you have an engine bay deserving of showing off of course.

I'm having a hard time visualizing the look of the completed car so am really looking forward to seeing what it looks like with the rest of the body installed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The design is similar to the Hot Rod hard top in that it is a true "removable" hard top. Jim feels that the door liners and skin will not change, only the inner steel structure to accommodate the mechanism. I've seen the functional doors with window glass tooling installed and it looks like that design goal will stand firm. Still there are other changes in the works and I was working on a post updating that today, maybe have it up tomorrow. The 818 development and evolution was side-tracked a bit by the USRRC/FIA car and we have 3-4 other projects we are working on concurrently (ones even Kalstar can't make me talk about yet) but I'm pleased that we are meeting the bulk of the original goals of the platform. Thanks for the encouragement. There are guys reading this who have spent countless hours bringing this from idea to reality who deeply appreciate your feedback.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast