Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rivuts: Tools and Supplies

Post Thanks / Like

Rivuts: Tools and Supplies

I originally purchased a harbor freight rivnut tool. It was $16.99, but I had a 25% off coupon. Came with the tool and a small handful of rivnuts. IMO, Do NOT buy this tool. I installed three 1/4-20 rivnuts (aluminum at that) and it broke. It failed when the head bent open allowing the small nubs that pull up on the threaded shaft to come unalined and just eat away at the shaft.

(for reference, I suggest not buying it)
    http://www.harborfreight.com/45-piec...-kit-1210.html

I spent a lot of time searching for other tools. I didn't want a wrench driven tool that is a beefier version of the nut and bolt method FFR uses. I also didn't want to spend $60 on a tool or want the long lever tools (won't fit in tight places).

I found a small right angle tool at Menards made by surebonder for $17 with no rivnuts. It looks almost identical to the harbor freight version with the addition of a travel stop and a smooth finish vs harbor freights wrinkle finish. I installed three 1/4-20 steel rivnuts with ease. It still took a manly grip but the tool didn't break. If you're smart, you can do the rivnut in steps so you can control how far open the handle is to start to make it easier to squeeze.

Northern tool has it here for $22:
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...8963_200308963

What's different? The HF tool body is made with .080" thick steel. The Menards tool had .110" thick steel. It felt much heaver and didn't bend under load.

Blue: menards
    Red/black: HF

You can see here the HF head is bowed open (one nub and the shaft fell out)

Source for rivet nuts:
    Menards had a small selection of rivet nuts made by surebonder. A 12 pack of 1/4-20 steel ribbed nuts was ~$4, or 33 cents a rivet nut. I bought some online here:

http://www.rivetsonline.com/rivet-nu...t-nuts-en.html

The L series is what FFR supplied us with, the k series uses a low profile head for better fitment between flat panels. 100 1/4-20 L series is $12.35, or 12 cents each. The 10-32's I bought to secure the body to the frame were $7.60 for 100 of the k series.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought mine from McMasterCarr, came with some rivnuts It is made by Marson (Taiwan) It is cast aluminum so it wont bend. I have not used it yet but it seems better than the HF unit. I looked at it and passed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That's the same tool I just ordered! (I got mine on Amazon for $14.99 with free shipping) Have you had good luck with it? It got mixed reviews there.

The coilover wrench + nut/washer/bolt works, but it's cumbersome (really takes three hands). Thanks for the info on rivnuts, I'll be ordering some as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a rivnut tool that uses a cordless drill to drive the process, amazingly fast and with a right angled drill reasonably compact, but only for steel rivnuts up to M8 (from memory) and i think M10 for alloy
    It cost about $100 online about 4 years ago
    video is
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=uudakIPt788
    Last edited by DodgyTim; 01-09-2014 at 01:27 PM. Reason: typo's

Post Thanks / Like
    Mechie,you must have abused the HF rivnut tool! I set almost twice as many rivnuts (5) before it crapped out. I bought the McMaster-Carr rivnut tool and we're getting along fine with 1/4" and #10 rivnuts.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info here. Thanks! I will probably order the Menards or McMaster-Carr tool, though that cordless drill adapter is totally cool.

I was thinking there might be an opportunity for one of our esteemed supporting vendors to offer an 818 fastener upgrade kit, including necessary tool(s). Maybe if a volume purchase of the tools and fasteners was made and split it into kits with the correct # of parts, a small profit could be made on the difference between wholesale price and retail price. On the other hand, it is not that difficult or expensive to order a few handfuls of rivnuts online and the FFR kit already comes with most of the fasteners we actually need. OK, maybe it's a bad idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrprgrmr View Post
    OK, maybe it's a bad idea.
    Rivets are easy enough to order.... but what would be a great idea is a donor hardware make-up kit, for two reasons 1) the manual simply calls out "use the OEM hardware" sometimes it's not in the best of shape, or simply missing. It's not too hard to identiy what's needed, but it would be nice to have a list/kit of new stuff. I've re-used about half of the OEM nuts-n-bolts where called for, and sourced others locally, or from BelMetric. It would have been nice to have all shiny new hardware in a single box!

Post Thanks / Like
    Roadster guy here. Hope you don't mind if I share my experience. Tried several of the lower priced squeeze type rivnut tools. Either just plain too hard to pull (for me anyway) or the tools didn't hold up. Didn't want to spend a fortune, so tried this one from McMaster: http://www.mcmaster.com/#96349a203/=q6xffg It's not very elegant, but I don't think it would be possible to wear it out or break it. Have set a ton of #10 rivnuts between two builds. I got another one for 5/16 rivnuts. I use an adjustable wrench on the lower nut, screwed tight to hold it. Then a socket wrench on the top nut to pull the rivnut while you also press down to hold it in place. Real easy to do and 100% reliable. McMaster also has a great selection of rivnuts. Like all their products, not always the cheapest but the quality and service is top notch.
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-10-2014 at 01:16 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^What he said. x1000...

Post Thanks / Like
    ditto and virtually no delay, I get stuff in 1 day, they have warehouses all over...

sometimes we forget that our time has value...
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Roadster guy here. Hope you don't mind if I share my experience. Tried several of the lower priced squeeze type rivnut tools. Either just plain too hard to pull (for me anyway) or the tools didn't hold up. Didn't want to spend a fortune, so tried this one from McMaster: http://www.mcmaster.com/#96349a203/=q6xffg It's not very elegant, but I don't think it would be possible to wear it out or break it. Have set a ton of #10 rivnuts between two builds. I got another one for 5/16 rivnuts. I use an adjustable wrench on the lower nut, screwed tight to hold it. Then a socket wrench on the top nut to pull the rivnut while you also press down to hold it in place. Real easy to do and 100% reliable. McMaster also has a great selection of rivnuts. Like all their products, not always the cheapest but the quality and service is top notch.
    I think I'll be going with this style as I spent 45 minutes looking through different styles of tools lastnight and none of them seemed reliable and consistently got good reviews.

One question I have is what sizes are recommended? I don't receive my 818 until March but I'm trying to line up as many of the parts/tools that I'll need before it gets here.

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, I agree with the recommendation for a vendor to produce a stock hardware replacement kit. I would be very interested in that if it was priced reasonably. Even if it was just the hardware that typically takes a lot of abuse (suspension, etc.).

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I did about 50 with my harbor freight so far with no issues. I even retighten the screw and squeeze some more.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've done more than 100 with mine, mostly 10-24s it's from HB but is the style with the round knob sticking up
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    My HF had a round knob sticking up but it fell out when the body deformed.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Amazon.com is your friend. Eveything you need. Also a huge fan of McMaster Carr.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    I think I'll be going with this style as I spent 45 minutes looking through different styles of tools lastnight and none of them seemed reliable and consistently got good reviews.

One question I have is what sizes are recommended? I don't receive my 818 until March but I'm trying to line up as many of the parts/tools that I'll need before it gets here.
    The FFR kit only uses 1/4 - 20 riv nuts I however use 10-24 all over the place vs rivets... I bet there will be a few 1/4 inch in my kit when done but 100 or more of the smaller # 10 screw ones. For example the kit has you use them for upper radiator mounts and some body panel connections. They recommend 3/16 rivets in many places that I'll use riv nuts like on the rear firewall or to attach the body panels under the chassis as I want it removable. While you can't really consider them high strength they work well for such application
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the one from McMaster-Carr also - nice item. I keep a small bit of anti-seize on the threads. You do have to use a wrench and a ratchet to get them on: http://wayneyoshida-kh6wz.com/2013/0...lerator-pedal/

PS I am building a Coupe - but agree with what RM1SepEx said.
    Last edited by Rodster; 01-10-2014 at 08:30 PM. Reason: added Coupe line
    Ordered Type 65 Complete Kit Aug 29, 2012 - The 50-50 $ale!
    Standard Width IRS; Halibrands - 17x9, 17x10.5
    Kit Arrived: Oct 9, 2012; Build Started: Oct 28, 2012
    WordPress: http://wayne-yoshida-kh6wz.com/
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/waynetyoshida
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/kh6wz?feature=results_main

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgyTim View Post
    I have a rivnut tool that uses a cordless drill to drive the process, amazingly fast and with a right angled drill reasonably compact, but only for steel rivnuts up to M8 (from memory) and i think M10 for alloy
    It cost about $100 online about 4 years ago
    video is
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=uudakIPt788
    That is sweet...