Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Best way to remove FF tape on the body panels!

Post Thanks / Like

Best way to remove FF tape on the body panels!

Probably seems a dumb question, but I pulled off the red tape that holds the doors, hood etc to the body, and left with sticky residue.
    What's the best way to remove it? Nervous to try Goof Off because it can be a bit aggressive.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mother worked for 3M for over 30years as the company treasurer in New Zealand. This question was one of the most common they received - especially in regards to masking tape. Solvents generally don't work and just spread the goo around. The chemists at 3M would always recommend the same thing - Oil of Eucalyptus - smells a bit but just dissolves the adhesive away. Also good for removing stains from fabric. You can buy it in small bottles from any street pharmacist here in NZ (Drugstore for you guys I guess?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotyacht View Post
    (Drugstore for you guys I guess?)
    Thanks! ha ha Chemist, where I'm from!

Post Thanks / Like
    Try WD-40. It might be easier to find. Or butter, or vegetable oil, or baby oil. All should work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Acetone. Don't worry, you aren't going to hurt the body with it (or goof off, or wax & grease remover, or lacquer thinner, or xylene or any of the other stuff it'll get hit with by the time it's all done and painted).

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    You're going to laugh at this one. The way to get of the tape residue? Sure you can use the goo stuff and acetone but if you want to get the bulk of it off quickly....here it is.....wait for it.......USE TAPE. Ball up the tape you just took off and dab it on the residue. It will put it right off! If it's baked on then it might need some goo but this should get the majority of fresh pull-off residue from the body. To make it even faster, use fresh gorilla tape and ball it up and dab, dab, dab.

Post Thanks / Like
    Goo-Be-Gone works for everything from tape to stickers.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I've found Goo Gone Spray Gel to be one of the best all-around cleaners in the shop. Including tape adhesive residue. It works great while installing the aluminum panels. It's one of the few non-corrosive cleaners I've found that completely removes unwanted silicone adhesive residue. Note this is the spray gel version. Not the "regular" Goo Gone. For whatever reason (I'm far from a chemist...) the gel version seems to work better. I found it at WalMart. It's available other places as well.

Having said that, I agree with Jeff. In this case your fiberglass body is going to get hit with lots of strong chemicals. Acetone or lacquer thinner would work as well. Might dull the gel coat slightly.
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-21-2015 at 05:41 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I have acetone, goof-off and WD-40

I left it on too long to use Enhansen007's trick!

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't spray WD-40 on the body. Remember that you are going to want paint to stick to it some day. I would stick with Lacquer thinner, denatured alcohol, or Acetone. You want whatever you use to evaporate, not penetrate.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am surprised that no one has recommended #3M Adhesive Remover 07984. Made by the same people who made the tape in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Derald Rice View Post
    I am surprised that no one has recommended #3M Adhesive Remover 07984. Made by the same people who made the tape in the first place.

Thank you sir. I can get that in Canadian Tire. Perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    You already have the perfect adhesive remover acetone, but you're going to go by something else?

Post Thanks / Like
    no matter what you use....its going to be a pain!!! I used goof off and let it sit...came back out and used a plastic scrapper. Took me about 4 times doing this. Make sure you have some good tunes and a couple of beers.
    Owner MK4 7642RD, 393 stroker, Gordon Levy Super Alloy T5, HDX Clutch, Moser 3.31 3-link with disc brakes, 17" Bullit wheels, NT05's, Seat heaters donated by WarmSeats.com, door panels donated by Herbs Door panels.