Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Has anybody else bought the FFR 289 FIA Kit?

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anybody else bought the FFR 289 FIA Kit?

The FIA forum has been dead...wondering if there any out there under construction??
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W. Treves View Post
    Has anybody else bought the FFR 289 FIA Kit?
    I'm pretty sure I could name someone who wishes he had.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am in the process of retrofitting an FIA body to a MK4. So far, so good.
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    It's killing me
    I want to order so bad but have to finish what I have first
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

289 fia

The FIA forum has been dead...wondering if there any out there under construction??
    Actually I spoke to you at SEMA. I was really interested in the 33 but really wanted the type 65 (wife came to SEMA the next day and nixed the type 65-gotta love em don't you!) anyway after seeing the black mamba I'm hooked ! will be ordering my 289 hopefully Friday. Anyway you are a bad influence Eric! Going to be hard to top yours but am looking forward to the build and getting to know the community!

Post Thanks / Like
    I do know of a Top Secret FIA build in Beatty, Nevada. The builder is not an active member here but you may be able to drag some info out of Dr. Karen if you try hard enough.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    As I always suspected.. The FIA car as awesome as it is with all the history and such, only the hardest of the hard core will go that route. I think back over the years and all the folks blabbering about if F5 would just build a 289,,," I would bla, bla ,bla." I hope F5 can at least recover their engineering cost. I just think the SC version says "bad muther F$$$$ all over it.
    Now having said this... Erik, I have pictures of your car taped to my bedroom wall
    A month or so ago, I started to ask this question, where are all the FIA builds, but I just waited.
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins
    Certified "Kool Aid" drinker

Post Thanks / Like
    You set the bar pretty high, Erik. I think most don't want to be compared to your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol...it's not a competition ....I built it the way I did for purely selfish reasons In the end these cars should all be built to how WE want them to look not how they are expected to look Enjoy the build then step and enjoy what you built!! not many can say that!
    Last edited by Erik W. Treves; 01-25-2015 at 10:14 AM.

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

Post Thanks / Like
    Well said Erik.

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Karen bought one and it's currently under construction in NV.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The car actually belongs to Rupert Bragg-Smith. He's in the process of building the FIA, but is making a good deal of changes from "stock," so progress has not been nearly as fast as Erik's build. As Frank noted, Rupert's not active on the Forums, but is a master mechanic in marine, diesel and automotive, and has spent a lifetime building and racing formula and sports cars. Every nut, bolt, and washer on the suspension and key components has been replaced with proper length (specification), aircraft quality hardware. Rupert has commissioned the build of a 289 engine, which is being built to the original Shelby spec's, including down to the exact cam grind of the originals. Interior will be all Italian leather, w/wool carpet and using Smith's gauges. I've worked on a lot of Factory Fives, but this is Rupert's first experience with the FFR kit. Needless to say, it's been interesting working alongside him as he builds the FIA car.....In the end, I believe his will be one of the finest examples of this new product from Factory Five. We're picking up the engine today, along with the new 347 engine for my Coupe......Will post pics when progress is further along. Karen
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Karen-

This is excellent news. Thrilled that another FIA is being built, and it will be great to see the craftsmanship from someone so talented!

Can't wait to see some pictures.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my 289 early in September and have got as far as getting all the aluminum panels drilled, temporarily mounted and to the powder coating shop. Just got them back yesterday. Just waiting for the weather to warm up. The silicone just does not like low temperatures.

Post Thanks / Like
    sweet! What's your build plan look like...are you doing a tribute car or something custom?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been gluing my panels with a product called Lexel, that I purchased at my local Ace Hardware. I chose it over silicone because it is supposed to be paintable, and since I plan to spray my interior with Lizard Skin, then with bed liner, that's a plus. I bring the calking gun in the house when I stop working so it's not exposed to the low temps, which lately, here in South Carolina, has been between 29 and 30 degrees. It's been in the mid fifties in the afternoons, when I've done the most work.

EDIT - Sorry, I meant to reply quoting this comment:

"I got my 289 early in September and have got as far as getting all the aluminum panels drilled, temporarily mounted and to the powder coating shop. Just got them back yesterday. Just waiting for the weather to warm up. The silicone just does not like low temperatures."
    Last edited by Ray W.; 01-30-2015 at 12:16 AM.
    Mk 4 roadster #8495 delivered on 12-23-2014. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...r-Build-Thread Carbureted 4.6 SOHC, C-4 auto with manual valve body. Fox width rear with 2.73 gear. First start video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8ie...ature=youtu.be

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, ours arrived a few weeks back and looking forward to making a start shortly.
    The finish of the body is superb and the wheels look amazing. But man....there seems to be a lot more boxes than for a Mk4....
    Its a right hand hooka so been doing a bit of research on rhd 289's not finding a lot. Would like to build a tribute car but torn between a couple.
    Last edited by Chris Canning; 01-30-2015 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Chris Canning
    Component Cars Australia

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy668 View Post
    I am in the process of retrofitting an FIA body to a MK4. So far, so good.
    I am too, but with many other alterations. Wish I had just waited for the FFR Kit to be released. I wouldn't be having to fabricate every panel and part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I'm pretty sure I could name someone who wishes he had.

Jeff
    Yep!

Post Thanks / Like
    sweet! What's your build plan look like...are you doing a tribute car or something custom?
    I'm building a hybrid. It's a mixture of tribute and custom the drive components will be tribute but the color will be custom (H-D Black Denim with Gloss Black Stripe and Meatballs.
    Last edited by retropt; 02-02-2015 at 07:29 PM. Reason: misspelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Another reason the 289 forum has such a lousy use is the poor support we are getting from FFR. There is still no manual or instructions for the 289 specific part to aid the installation. I'm finding out things fro support personnel on the phone or from the regular mkIV forum. Like that I need to use a TKO transmission due to the mid-shift configuration.

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't NEED to use a TKO....I used a T-5 ... I just made my own mid shift conversion....

So, I am not sure I understand "Another reason the 289 forum has such a lousy use is the poor support we are getting from FFR".... I would think if you need help you would post on the 289 side since you can't get help.....but posting on this side is fine too....I troll both I would be happy to help in any way I can either way and I am sure most of the people here would. In any event the difference between the Mark IV and the 289 kit is extremely small....now the difference between a mark 1/3.1 and the mark IV....that is a much larger difference!

Post Thanks / Like
    we have used many midshift t-5 trans in the challenge cars.
    they work great.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    I was leaning towards the Coupe but while perusing the CC forums I ended up at the Kirkham website. I then saw the picture of their 289 Street in black with the red interior and decided that I would look good driving that.

I am trying to figure out how to turn the FFr FIA into a slab side and if I have the skills to do so. I have done some fibreglass work but that was repairing boats. Lopping off the hood scoop and filling in the holes is easy enough, it's taking care of those hips that has me worried.

P

Edit: I am wondering is the hood from the roadster would fit. No need to cut the scoop and fill in the hole that way.
    Last edited by narkosys; 02-03-2015 at 10:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to order one...Maybe next build...I had my order in just a few months too early...Wish they would have spoke about it more before the release...such a big secret...oh well next time!