Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FFR Wheels

Post Thanks / Like

FFR Wheels

Hey has anyone heard anything on when they are shipping out rims?

Post Thanks / Like
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    After not hearing from Eddie this week regarding an update on my wheels, I decided to send him an email with a suggestion. I'm asking him to make a list of all the customers with wheels on back order. He can put the list in chronological order and post it to us every 2 weeks. At least we would see some communication from FFR. I don't think that's asking for too much.

Post Thanks / Like
    I emailed Eddie on Friday asking for an update. I got this reply this morning.
    "Rick,

Dave Smith will be emailing everyone today with an update. They are almost finished and will be shipping in about 3 weeks. Look for Dave’s update.

Thanks,"

It will be interesting to see what he has to say about the situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just received an email from Dave Smith updating the wheel situation. Anyone else receive it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't receive an email. Can you share the contents?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I received Dave's email. Now I understand the problem and I appreciate what FFR is doing to make sure We all get a quality product.

Post Thanks / Like
    A quality product but when? Waiting a year plus for wheels is ridiculous. There may be a reason but it is no excuse. FFR needs to concentrate on doing what they have correctly and slow down on expansion. Things like the IRS axles, clutch pedal fixes that need the frame cut to work, wheels, are really tarnishing the FFR reputation.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just about to ask this same question. The other site has numerous posts on this potential issue

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the email I got.

This is the second letter I’ve written concerning our optional Halibrand replica wheels. In the history of our company, I’ve never had the difficulty with a part that I have had with these wheels this past year. I wanted to take another moment to update you on where we are with your important order and it goes without saying that I and everyone at Factory Five are humiliated and are deeply sorry for this problem.

Bottom line is that you will have your wheels on February 12-18. Right now I have a documented, guaranteed commitment (less an act of Gd, which at this point I cannot rule out!) of this delivery date. Your wheels have been made, machined, coated, finished, QC’d and are en route to final assembly with the knock-offs and packaging in Texas.

Back in June of last year I explained that we were having 6 month delays on Halibrand-style replica wheels. If anyone had told me then that it would be a year in total, I would have stopped selling these wheels all-together. With each passing month another deadline passed and another problem arose. What began with a large lot of wheels that were rejected for quality issues resulted in us pulling our tooling from the casting foundry and finding a new supplier for the castings. I thought the delay was well in hand at this point and I even doubled the order to move us up in line. Some months later the casting foundry experienced a massive explosion and that set in motion the actions that have gotten us to today.

In order to finally get these wheels completed where they should have been a year ago when our initial order was rejected, I built all-new tooling, and increased our order to a massive 1200 wheels (400 sets). After yet another delay, I pulled our tools and contracted with one of the best suppliers in the industry (an existing Tier 1 wheel supplier to GM and Ford). Your order is one of 130 wheel orders awaiting shipment.

Please know that at any time I am happy to refund your order as I understand the delay has been inexcusable. We don’t have any interest in keeping your money without delivering your product. The worst part of this is that our guys have been relaying the best and most accurate information we’ve received from the foundry and over these months we’ve made promises each time to find we’ve been delayed again. I believe that on February 18th this long terrible delay will be over.

Sincerely,

David Smith, President

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickGT40 View Post
    ...increased our order to a massive 1200 wheels (400 sets).
    1200 wheels=400 sets Is this the Reliant Robin forum?

I kid, I kid and hope everyone is able to chalk this up to a distant memory in a couple of weeks.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    1200 wheels=400 sets Is this the Reliant Robin forum?

I kid, I kid and hope everyone is able to chalk this up to a distant memory in a couple of weeks.

Jeff
    You put the 10" wide one in front to keep it from flipping over.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I don’t get my wheels by the February 18 like my email AND my letter says it is no big deal. That way I get my wheels AND MY MONEY BACK, AS IT WAS BACKED by a guarantee. Every guarantee is backed up right?????? I would like to spend that money on my paint.
    I bought my tires last week and are waiting for the wheels AND the other parts that I didn’t get with my incomplete (Complete) kit. I really do need the padding for the dash as that way I can finish that part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rob. I have padding I can send you if you need it. Just pay shipping.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Rob. I have padding I can send you if you need it. Just pay shipping.
    Mike
    I'll take it! How do you want paid?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobReam View Post
    If I don’t get my wheels by the February 18 like my email AND my letter says it is no big deal. That way I get my wheels AND MY MONEY BACK, AS IT WAS BACKED by a guarantee. Every guarantee is backed up right?????? I would like to spend that money on my paint.
    I bought my tires last week and are waiting for the wheels AND the other parts that I didn’t get with my incomplete (Complete) kit. I really do need the padding for the dash as that way I can finish that part.
    Where in that letter from Dave does he state that he will ship you wheels AND give you your money back????

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    The fact of the matter with the letter is that Dave didn't "guarantee" anything. He said "I have a documented, guaranteed commitment (less an act of God, which at this point I cannot rule out!) of this delivery date." So he was guaranteed by someone else that we would have wheels by the 18th. That doesn't necessary pass through to us. Don't expect anything from FFR if their vendor fails again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickGT40 View Post
    if their vendor fails again.
    The words above in red are the key here that everyone forgets. FFR, just like you the end user, is stuck until whenever the supplier (in this case the third casting company) can get to this small order. Those suppliers have to keep their main customers (in this case Tier 1 customers) happy first. Then they can use their down time to create the parts for FFR and whatever other customer was first on their list for such down time orders. The frustrations posted here and elsewhere are understandable, but the venom aimed at FFR or Dave Smith is not. For those in business for themselves, whether it is a tangible or intangible offering will understand completely. Those who are not in business for themselves will never understand what it takes to get the parts offered in regards to a supplier or supply chain.

Regardless of where you are in your build, take a step back, take a deep breath, and relax. FFR and Dave Smith are doing the best they can to bring you the quality parts that they promised. Could they have brought it to you earlier, using an inferior or substandard company to do the work, absolutely. But are they willing to do so just to keep a few of you happy, not a chance, sorry, that is not Dave's or FFR's style...........

Just my two cents worth having known the company, Dave Smith, and the frustrations of supply chains for 20 years.

Bill S.
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'll have some news today on the wheels that I am emailing to customers waiting. This has been one of the most frustrating and challenging issue I've had to face in more than 20 years at the helm. At any point in time a full refund has been offered to anyone not wishing to wait, and while the delays have been excessive and unforgivable, we really have done everything in our power to mitigate and solve this problem as it has unfolded with each new challenge (How many times does a plant explode?! among other insane things). I understand the criticism that the wheels, for some customers, were part of a sale and that is completely valid, however, we never took a single order anticipating these delays which have been a long series of broken promises from vendors. Still, my fault 100%. I've built all-new tools and changed casting foundries three times. We are now dealing with a tier one Wheel supplier to the big three and have had to invest tremendously to get on their radar to solve this nightmare and deliver the quality we want.

As I said, I am 100 percent at fault and responsible for this wheel fiasco and I'm doing everything in my power to fix it.

Dave Smith
    President
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The latest shipping date has been delayed a week and is now February 20th - 24th. This is beyond acceptable and I sent out a personal e-mail to each customer waiting on wheels. Essentially, anyone waiting more than 8 weeks from the day their Factory Five kit shipped is being issued an immediate $100 credit towards anything from Factory Five. More importantly, if these wheels don't ship by an absolute drop-dead date of March 6th, anyone waiting more than 6 months will be refunded for the cost of the wheels and still sent their wheels in the order in which orders were received.

After a year of production delays, all-new castings have been made, over 400 sets of wheels have been ordered, 167 sets are complete and agonizingly close to delivery, and I am personally satisfied with the quality of the latest batch of 15" and 17" Factory Five Halibrand Replica wheels and am more anxious than any person on the planet to get them delivered. I have even sent out both sets of wheels that were on our Factory Five Mk4 Roadster demo cars.

Dave Smith
    President
    Last edited by Dave Smith; 02-16-2015 at 04:57 PM.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post

As I said, I am 100 percent at fault and responsible for this wheel fiasco and I'm doing everything in my power to fix it.

Dave Smith
    President
    I dont have a dog in this fight as my car is completed, but it is refreshing to hear someone at the top of a food chain take 100% responsibility....How do we get that attitude to DC?

Always proud to tell folks I built a FFR car.
    MKIV #7619 complete kit IRS, 351 TKO 500, Delivered 11/13/2011
    First start 12/31/2011
    Gocart 01/12/2012
    completed tags/title 05/11/2012
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Graduate-7619

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

I've been around both forums for a long time (15+ years on the other one and just about day 1 here) and have seen FFR handle challenges well. From my personal experience, you and the crew at FFR always come through in a stand-up fashion.

For most of us, this is just a hobby - for you and your family, it's everything. Thank you, Dave, for being willing to put your name on the door and fight the fight everyday to make FFR what it is so that the rest of us can play with cars, enjoy a short respite from the challenges we deal with at work ourselves, and live our Walter Mitty dreams.

God bless.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm sick to my stomach about this and I am deeply sorry for the grief we've caused everyone waiting on these wheels. Truth is we really are doing our best with one frustratingly complex problem after the next! This is aggravating and frustrating x 1000000000. And as far as Washington, it's easy to do the right thing when you are grateful as all heck for the job, love what you do and sincerely love the people you work with and for. I'm not alone in thinking that the problems in Washington are that many of our elected officials feel entitled to the office, forgot that they exist to serve and represent their fellow countrymen and women, and are, at their core, not Patriots. I guess I got a wee bit political. Heading home. This crew has really done exceptional work thru these storms. Chris Ronni has gone all night on the plow and front-loader among many.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Class act as usual. Keep up the good work Dave.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    As someone who is waiting anxiously for my Mark IV currently on its way ,these recent post from Dave is another reason I feel confident in my choice to go with Factory Five. I've been following the wheel issue as it unfolded here and on the other thread for sometime .While I do think it sucks very much for the guys waiting ,as they are excited about getting on the road. They have to remember, Factory Five is still a small company with payroll to meet and all the dam expenses to keep things going .So I would never expect them to refund me 1000 after paying 500 for my wheels. I'm actually glad he kept selling the wheel when they were on sale for the summer deal.If he pulled the plug because of availability that would have cost me an extra 500. If I run into the issue of my build being held up, by wheel not available yet, then I still will have the choice to cash out and get the wheels elsewhere .So thank goodness I was able to order them for the deal . The option of free wheels for those that waited so long if the drop dead date isn't fulfilled , is above and beyond.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Class act as usual. Keep up the good work Dave.
    Mike

X2, one of the reasons why you and I have been through as many FFR's as we have..........

Bill S.
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA