Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: bleeding the clutch master cylinder

Post Thanks / Like

bleeding the clutch master cylinder

Having trouble bleeding the clutch Master cylinder. doesn't want to push the fluid.
    I took it completely apart, seals look good, ??? any one else have this?
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley818 View Post
    Having trouble bleeding the clutch Master cylinder. doesn't want to push the fluid.
    I took it completely apart, seals look good, ??? any one else have this?
    Hi Harley
    A bunch have had this problem.
    The clutch rod in the master cylinder has to be all the way out, before it lets new fluid drop into the chamber.
    Loosen up (shorten) the clutch rod to the pedal and try again.
    Let me know the results.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

3. Thanks Kiwi Dave thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bob,

My master cylinder did allow the rod to come all the way back, in fact I disconnected it from the pedal so I could manipulate it easier without the clutch pedal spring.
    I ended up taking the slave cylinder apart again, filling it with fluid, re-installing it so there would be no air bubbles, and now it works fine.

However, some odd behavior.
    I would have expected that once bled, that the slave rod would be tight against the push point for the clutch.
    I can grab it with my fingers and pull it back into the slave cylinder.
    When I let it go it slowly goes extends to the clutch push point. I didn't check to see if this pushed the fluid back into the master cylinder, but that must be what is happening.
    I assumed this mean the seals were shot, but when I keep my foot on the clutch pedal, it keeps the clutch disengaged and doesn't slowly leak down as I would expect if it had faulty seals.

Is this normal?

Seems to work now, and I drove the car for the first time today 5 feet back and forth!!! Hooray - first drive! sort of.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley818 View Post
    Hi Bob,

However, some odd behavior.
    I would have expected that once bled, that the slave rod would be tight against the push point for the clutch.
    I can grab it with my fingers and pull it back into the slave cylinder.
    When I let it go it slowly goes extends to the clutch push point. I didn't check to see if this pushed the fluid back into the master cylinder, but that must be what is happening.
    I assumed this mean the seals were shot, but when I keep my foot on the clutch pedal, it keeps the clutch disengaged and doesn't slowly leak down as I would expect if it had faulty seals.

Is this normal?

Seems to work now, and I drove the car for the first time today 5 feet back and forth!!! Hooray - first drive! sort of.
    Harley
    What you describe sound like normal operation.
    Congrats on your first (in the garage) drive.

Check my post on your fuel connection.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread