Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 06 EJ255 and my journey with the oil filter and housings.

Post Thanks / Like

06 EJ255 and my journey with the oil filter and housings.

I thought I would post this here for someone else's benefit.

My 06 WRX turbo was a rollover wreck I bought from copart. It was in remarkably good shape considering.

My biggest challenge with the motor was a persistent oil leak around that crazy coolant loop and oil filter. My initial thought was eliminating all that crap. I talked to Perrin about their kit, and it seemed like a fit so I had them send me one.

It wasn't a fit at first. I had to order the longer STI oil feed pipe to even make it work. $60. So if you are looking at this kit and don't have an STI motor, you need an 06 and later oil feed pipe for an STI. The WRX coolant loop is smaller then the STI. Otherwise it works great.

But it didn't fix the leak.

After more talks with Perrin and some research, I discovered that the boss the assembly mounts to is actually an extension of the block, and was designed to tilt the oil filter forward and make it easier to change.

I removed the six bolts holding the cover on, wrestled that off, and removed the mount boss for that cover with a 21mm socket. Once all that crap was off, there was the holy grail, the original filter boss!

So I simply mounted everything to that boss, buttoned everything up, and the leak was gone! Yay!

It was actually beneficial for a few reasons. It moved all the lines up and further away from the header, and better positions them from an 818 perspective. It also is a requirement for using quite a few headers, especially equal length headers. I have the Tomei Extreme so not a problem but still removing all that junk make everything so much better positioned. It also simplified everything and eliminated the coolant loop.

bypassing the coolant loop is actually very easy. Simply unbolt the metal pipe from the timing cover and relocate it behind the oil filter. Loosen the 90 degree hose from the block and turn it so it lines up with the metal pipe. Reattach it and you are done!

The Perrin kit uses standard -10 AN press on fittings, so it is easy to modify the lines as needed to fit where you want to mount the cooler. Right now mine is mounted the roll bar.

Hope this info is helpful! I will post some pictures of the housing and such.
    Last edited by bstuke; 01-26-2015 at 06:24 PM.
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread
    PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, PADI TecRec Gas Blender Instructor, Operations Manager - DNS Diving, Grand Cayman

Post Thanks / Like
    What Perrin kit??
    "I removed the five bolts holding the cover on, wrestled that off, and removed the mount boss for that cover with a 21mm socket. Once all that crap was off, there was the holy grail, the original filter boss!"
    You have totally lost me... Five bolts? Cover? That may be easy to do; I don't know all Subaru motors.

However, you mention the long tube. That sounds like you retained or had to install the oil heat exchanger. While that may be stockish form, I am wondering what Perrin part you have adapted and why you would retain the heat exchanger (that many call an oil cooler)?

Post Thanks / Like
    These are the pieces I am talking about. It is actually six bolts. Rip all this crap out! The o rings suck and will eventually leak.
    4CC8BB51-AD05-4BD7-BE91-442DB33E75AB-2420-0000011BD507F011_zps92a6425e.jpg

This is before:
    B531832A-6034-4F40-A086-BFD49FDDA3CD-2420-0000011B9105D53C_zps9d588da3.jpg

This is after. See that nipple sticking down? Reattach the hose with the 90 degree bend and then attach the other end of the hose to the metal pipe that originally attached to the cooler. You have to unbolt the pipe from the valve cover. You can grind off the mount, I left it..
    120FCE4F-A092-4F3A-817B-86F11097747E-2420-0000011B97BEF194_zps5a972c64.jpg

In my case I didn't replace the cooler, I eliminated it:
    PSP-EXT-050_10.jpg

This is what the kit looks like, it is for a 04-14 STI Turbo part number PER1 PSP-OIL-100
    F117352014.jpg

This is how it stacks when you put it in:
    M117352022.jpg

Make sense?
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread
    PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, PADI TecRec Gas Blender Instructor, Operations Manager - DNS Diving, Grand Cayman

Post Thanks / Like
    That's quite an improvement. You're running an oil cooler. Why not move your filter to a happier place? This is how I handled it.
    Link fixed.
    Last edited by Scargo; 01-25-2015 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Fixed link.

Post Thanks / Like
    A New York Times article? I hate that rag...

Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    That's quite an improvement. You're running an oil cooler. Why not move your filter to a happier place? This is how I handled it.
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually did read that. My challenge is I am terrible at fabricating stuff. Ask Wayne, he will confirm that. In any way shape or form.

I would start on that endeavor, and it is a fine one and I really like the results you got, and I would do the connections wrong and they would leak. Then I would have the wrong AN sizes and have to order the correct sizes. Then I would need a 45 somewhere and only have a 90 to spare. I wish Summit was closer...

Seriously that is my life, but it is a fun one. I will cut something and it will be too long. I will trim it and it will be too short! That is my luck.

The kit was nice, solid components, great tech support.

I did have the Canton on my FFR SBF MK2 and was happy with the results.
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I can confirm
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Gee thanks Wayne! I seriously have 10 left thumbs, and they are not green either. Wayne I sent you a text over the weekend.. Let me know what you think.
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread