FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Warrior Princess and Challenge Series Coupe Update

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Warrior Princess and Challenge Series Coupe Update

Some three years ago we began a project to create the prototype of a Challenge Series Coupe. A lot has happened in that time, including the development of the first prototype car, which we fondly named the "Warrior Princess." We were proud to feature the car at the 2012 SEMA Show, and then race it at track events, including Bob Bondurant's 80th birthday event held in Phoenix in October 2013. The car handles and drives great, but from the first start, always had electrical and engine issues, which we could never reign in. Last fall, I made the decision to completely remove the drivetrain and electrical system, and have been busy rebuilding the car over the last few months.

I am doing the work myself, and expect to have the wiring complete within the next few weeks. I've also worked with my machinist, Dennis, at D & R Machine to completely rebuild the engine. In an effort to simplify things, I've chosen to go with a naturally aspirated, 347 CID engine, which is done and ready to install as soon as the wiring is complete.

My vision has been, and continues to be, the development of a Coupe and Challenge car series through which we will be able to campaign our cars in premier events around the country. The Coupes represent one of the greatest, if not the greatest, accomplishments of American racing in the modern era. With only six original Coupes in existence though, and with their values in the multiple million dollar range, no one will ever likely see another Coupe on track, even at a vintage racing event. These cars are cool to the "n-th" degree, and having a significant group of them on track in a demonstration race would surely be a thrilling spectacle.

I'll post some updated photos once the work is complete, and will be posting an all-call thread to fellow builders that are in the process of (or already completed) a race-prepared/Challenge Series Coupe so we can get a handle on who is out there with a car ready for competition.

Thanks for keeping the faith, and for honoring the truly awesome history of these fine cars. I continue to be inspired and humbled by your innovations and your creativity in keeping the flame alive!

Karen
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Karen,

Nice to see you are still tinkering on the coupe. I always enjoyed the updates on the Warrior Princess, and look forward to seeing the new engine.
    What HP are you shooting for with the new set up?

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the update. Your description of the coupe makes me proud to be building one. I also enjoyed reading you book.

Bill Lomenick

P.S. Is this "Warrior Princess" with the IRS or the one with the solid rear axle?
    Last edited by CHOTIS BILL; 01-28-2015 at 04:15 PM.
    Chotis Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the kind words. I've missed you guys, and am glad to be back at it out here.

Looking for 425(ish) HP on the new engine.

The Warrior Princess has the 3-link set up. Scott Merrill with Coupe Connection (Washington State) is the proud owner of the Warrior Queen now. He's done a complete rebuild, installed a Coyote engine and is building/testing a new 8 stack injection system which he is planning to market. He brought the car to SEMA and she looked very good. Glad you enjoyed the book! K
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like
    K, to say you are an inspiration is an understatement. I too have been bitten and when (if ever) I finish the first build, the next will be to build a Comp Coupe for competition. I've pretty much got all of the specs as to how the car will be completed in my head and look forward to meeting you out on the track as apposed to at the track as it has been to this point. Look forward to having a gel-coat finished coupe on the track, lol , since paint just slows them down. Rock On!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I am always glad to hear progress is being made on the Warrior Princess. She will be a force to be reckoned with, as is her Creator. Unlike Frank, I do not plan to build a competition coupe but plan to track my roadster until they take away my license. Much of the fun I am having on the track with my car is due to Karen, who was my first HPDE instructor, was "in the car" for my first spin on the track, and has been a mentor and friend since 2006.

I plan to impart the excitement of driving these cars as they were designed to be driven to my grandchildren. To that end, I recently purchased copies of Karen's newly published book, "The ABC's of Racing", for my grandkids. The hope now is she will slow down long enough and agree to autograph them (the books, not the grandkids). Hope to see you and Rupert in Utah in June, if not before.

Victoria's husband

Post Thanks / Like
    Karen
    I am glad to have you back. I have missed your posts, and race updates.
    I look forward to reading more.
    Mark D
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vnmsss View Post
    but from the first start, always had electrical and engine issues, which we could never reign in. Last fall, I made the decision to completely remove the drivetrain and electrical system, and have been busy rebuilding the car over the last few months.
    Just when you think you are set, something like this comes along, what a pain these problems can be (time, money and pure frustration). As always I enjoy seeing you and hope to see you on the track this year and keep us up to date on how the Warrior Princess is progressing.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress