Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ls1?

Post Thanks / Like

Ls1?

I know this car is intended to use the Subaru running gear but I was just wondering if anyone has managed to fit an LS1 into the 818. If it has not been done can anyone tell me if the engine compartment is physically big enough to cram in an LS1 with a transaxle? Also if anyone has the dimensions of the engine compartment that would be appreciated as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can be the first! With a plasma cutter and good old American ingenuity and possibly a shoehorn and oh ya, a large budget it probably could fit. It would be awesome! There's already builders who have modified the frame to fit electric motors. If you've got the skills and the budget, I'm sure everyone here would applaud the effort. That said, the wrx platform can produce high horsepower levels if that's your goal. Just saying.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to make a reliable 1000whp and I think the LS1 would be the best way to go. I already have an LQ4 truck block, I will be doing forged internals and twin Precision 6266 turbos. Will be using Proefi for management and traction control. Some of you will think I am crazy for that kind of power in such a light car, but with the right setup it will be able to put it down no problem.

These are the dimensions of the LQ4 block:
    lq4-truck.gif

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomauto View Post
    I would like to make a reliable 1000whp and I think the LS1 would be the best way to go. I already have an LQ4 truck block, I will be doing forged internals and twin Precision 6266 turbos. Will be using Proefi for management and traction control. Some of you will think I am crazy for that kind of power in such a light car, but with the right setup it will be able to put it down no problem.

lq4-truck.gif
    Why re-invent when a GTM is designed around the LS family of engines.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're going to need to consider transmission dimensions as well. Compare that to the Subaru dimensions and then you'll have an idea of what you're dealing with. There's only a few inches in front of the Subaru 4 cylinder in the 818 chassis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Because I like a challenge Anyone here with an 818 can you please measure for me from the back of the engine block to the firewall. Also from the axle centerline on transmission to the back of the block. This will give me a better idea if the ls1 can be done in the 818.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I can tell you without measuring that you will have to rebuild the chassis behind the firewall to fit the LS1 drivetrain. It will have to be re-enforced to take that HP and torque. It would be a very extended looking 818. It reminds me of the King Cobra project sort of. There is no doubt it could be done, it just won't be within the present design confines.

Good luck,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Figure on an additional $30-35K

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm......1000hp 818 = power to weight of F1 car
    Seriously?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

lq4-truck.gif
    Not being negative, but what kind of car would you end up with? Lots more rear weight bias than the car was intended to have, (iron block v8/massive trans/turbos&plumbing) and it'll never be able to put the power to the ground even with traction control.(it'll just subtract hp/tq you don't have in traction) I'm with kalstar. That built tt lq4 would be perfect in a GTM, and would bolt right in. If you're gonna go to that power level you're gonna want at least a g96-50 turbo Porsche transaxle or something even stronger like the graziano. (plan to spend $10k OR MORE to get the transaxle/clutch/axles) The GTM can handle 345's out back too, something you'll never get under a 818. You should check out Dhanisch's thread on ffcars.com. He's building a tt lsx with a graziano. You could probably find a deal on a partially completed GTM for not that much more than a new 818 kit. (and it has a roof/electric windows included) Not knocking the 818, just not the right platform for a 1000hp v8.

Post Thanks / Like
    There has already been at least one Subaru H6 shoehorned successfully into the 818 with about an inch to spare from the firewall. Compare the dimensions of that 6 cylinder engine to the dimensions of your LS1, and you will have a pretty good idea of how hard it will be to get it in there. Personally, I have to agree with some of the posters above that with all that horsepower, and particularly all that torque, the car will be undrivable. But whatever floats your boat.............

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This reminds me of Bill Campbell, of Campbell boat fame, back in the late ‘50’s early ‘60’s took a leister that had a 500cc single cylinder engine and shoehorned a small block Chevy in the back. He took a splash off of a E-Type Jag’s front end for the body and came up with the Campbell Special sports racer which set a new top speed record at Riverside Raceway taking it away from Ferrari.

Anything is possible,

Bill Lomenick
    Chotis Bill

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's an interesting idea but if you are set on the LS1, what would the 818 get you that the GTM wouldn't? Even though the 818 is advertised at 1800lbs, few have hit that target and with an LS1, you definitely wouldn't hit it. Most people are ending up at around 1900-2000lbs in the 818 with a 4cyl Subie engine. Tack on another 100-200lbs for the LS engine and whatever transmission you choose to use which will probably be heavier than the WRX transmission, and you are at 2000-2200lbs. That's only 200lbs less than the GTM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My GTM came in at 2247 with no side windows (or power window motors), no windshild wipers, only spray in sound proofer, light weight battery and no rear wing. That was with 3 gallons of gas. So the 818 and GTM (weight wise) would be close with an aluminum V8 and possible more with a cast iron block. I would say an 818 with cast block (no turbos) would be in the 2200-2250lbs range.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Could be a great idea, I would think it would be a hell of a lot more reliable. Weight, soo more hp. It's a totally good idea and will be done. The LS motors have great center of gravity like a subie and have been matted to a subaru tranny before. So and ls3 with a subie Sti 6 would be killer. A little cutting and welding and a painless harness and pow you got 400hp na with 150 pound increase.
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone here with an 818 can you please measure for me from the back of the engine block to the firewall.
    About 20" from rear FW frame to big tubing where the engine supports are for the Subaru engine. Like I mentioned on my build thread a while back, no V8 will fit in there as is. There is no way someone can fit a longer than 19.5"isch engine without modifying the frame. Hell even a Porsche H6 doesn't fit by a few inches, which is a lot. In bigger projects, if you need to lengthen the entire frame, you have to modify the body panels too and it may change other things.

If you like challenges, this one I vote for. Do it man!

Also from the axle centerline on transmission to the back of the block.
    You mean between the middle of the 2 lateral links to the big tubing where the engine supports are? Can't recall that one, but since you'll have to do a lot of frame mods anyway, I don't think it's pertinent anymore to know this distance. You'll adjust it yourself along the way.

When are you starting?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Would it be possible to move the tank to the middle of the car in the console or to the front, move the firewall forward and use that space to fit the V8? The next question is what are the ideal RPM's for the STI tanny? Its my understanding that a LS motor and the tranny wouldn't match up well gear ratio wise.
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    image.jpg
    "All"you have to move is the lower frame rail behind the tank, and reconfigure the tank more forward, or put one in front or pass on R. Than the firewall will have to move about 2-3" forward. The Sti 6 speed might be a bit to high of a ratio for and LS but it would work. A lower ratio setup with such a lite car would be great.

Sti: Gear Ratios : 1st 3.636 2nd 2.375 3rd 1.761 4th 1.346 5th 0.971 6th 0.756, 3.90

Camaro: The gear ratios are; 1st-3.01, 2nd-2.07, 3rd-1.43, 4th-1.00, 5th-0.84, 6th-0.57, 3.45:1
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    I am planning on starting when the 818C is released because its cold here so I really need a roof and windows. From what I have been seeing I think it should fit if I move the gas tank and mod the frame a little. As far as the transaxle goes I will have to do more homework on that but I don't think the Subaru box will have ideal ratios for a V8. When I do start this project I will definitely make a build thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Porsche G50 fits good on the LS1, using an adapter plate if I recall. That's what most GTMs did I think. And you can change every single gear ratio one at a time to match your liking, based on a lot of choices (just 1k each gear). Can't go wrong with that. The G50 is also a little shorter overall than the Subaru's, but it has an 8" bell housing face to axle centre distance, compared to about 6"-6.5 on the Subaru's. Most gearboxes seem to have something like 7-8" anyway. Oh wait, it may not sustain, probably will not, sustain 1000rwhp. 800 if you use the turbo version is a better conservative number. I am using a G50, but will only push 400-450 with a small compact V6.

The headers might be in the way, cuz one of the main problem on this frame is that it makes a V where the axle center is. Anything that goes a little too low and too wide in the back of the engine will hit that V part of the frame. You'd have to keep the headers aiming high enough to clear the way out. Which is perfect if you want to exit straight in the middle of the tail lights.

Quite some work, quite some weight in the back too, but hell, with 1000rwhp, V8 monstrous sound and unlimited budget? Just do it.
    Last edited by Frank818; 01-30-2015 at 08:52 PM.
    Frank

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertop View Post
    There has already been at least one Subaru H6 shoehorned successfully into the 818 with about an inch to spare from the firewall. .
    More like .300" of clearance
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    There are folks putting LSX engines into Porsche Boxsters. Renegade Hybrids is making a billet water pump relocation part to shorten the motor. Here are a couple pictures they posted:

Renegade Hybrids Boxster LS Waterpump relocate.jpgRenegade Hybrids Boxster LS Waterpump relocate 2.jpg

This might help...

Post Thanks / Like
    I recall some company putting an LS into a Lotus Elise. They sectioned and reinforced the frame, and moved the rear wheels back. But (they say) it created a fast car with good balance.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    image.jpg
    "All"you have to move is the lower frame rail behind the tank, and reconfigure the tank more forward, or put one in front or pass on R. Than the firewall will have to move about 2-3" forward. The Sti 6 speed might be a bit to high of a ratio for and LS but it would work. A lower ratio setup with such a lite car would be great.

Sti: Gear Ratios : 1st 3.636 2nd 2.375 3rd 1.761 4th 1.346 5th 0.971 6th 0.756, 3.90

Camaro: The gear ratios are; 1st-3.01, 2nd-2.07, 3rd-1.43, 4th-1.00, 5th-0.84, 6th-0.57, 3.45:1
    Boxster S Gear Ratios: 1st-3.31, 2nd-1.95, 3rd-1.41, 4th-1.13, 5th-0.95, 6th-0.81, 3.89:1

Look at what a Boxster S with an LS7 does at ~2,910 lb, imagine this in a 2000 lb 818C:

(about 1 min 50 seconds in) The whole video as it is a little long
    Last edited by FFR-ADV; 01-31-2015 at 09:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only problem with an R is that it would throw you in crazy race classes. You do not need that much HP. I was having fun with 230HP. I will now 275 RWHP for ST2 class, ~400 for St1 and above (where few cars race). If you think you need crazy HP in a 818, you need your head examined.

Now the reliability may be worth it. Time will tell. Wiring would probably be easier too. Porsche G50 transmissions are way too expensive now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...Make%3APorsche

Boxster S ones are cheaper, less than an STI.
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 01-31-2015 at 12:42 PM.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    The only problem with an R is that it would throw you in crazy race classes. You do not need that much HP. I was having fun with 230HP. I will now 275 RWHP for ST2 class, ~400 for St1 and above (where few cars race). If you think you need crazy HP in a 818, you need your head examined.
    Ha, I have a way over horsepowered car (705 RWHP FFR roadster) and couldn't agree with you more after driving 818 with 411 RWHP. The customer after he got it decided to mat the throttle going around a 65 mph corner and it went 30° sideways on him in a heartbeat. Turned the boost down to 12 psi instead of 22 after that
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    The G50 transmission will not handle that hp if you hook up. The Graziano or Ricardo trans would be strong enough. By the time you make all the modifications to the design and parts $ to make it work, the added weight will be as heavy or heavier than the Cobra, which would be an easier and less expensive platform. Trouble is, the aero of the Cobra is a brick in the wind to be able to utilize that hp. Since you prefer a Coupe, the Type 65 would then be the logical choice. I don't know of anyone that has done a twin turbo LS in the Type 65 Coupe, but it's better aero has been tested to 216+ mph. Then you could at least have a platform to utilize that hp and shoot for 250 mph if you wanted to.
    Last edited by Plebeian; 01-31-2015 at 01:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as using the subaru gearbox I was looking at ppg gearbox. Their gearset is rated at 700hp I would assume thats 4wd application. So for 2wd with such a light car I think it would handle 1000hp. Anyone know of any subaru gearbox adaptors to ls1?

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as using the subaru gearbox I was looking at ppg gearbox. Their gearset is rated at 700hp I would assume thats 4wd application. So for 2wd with such a light car I think it would handle 1000hp. Anyone know of any subaru gearbox adaptors to ls1?
    http://www.subarugears.com/Adaptors/Adaptors.html

Post Thanks / Like
    The Aussie dollar has tanked compared to the US so the $1499 AUD is (only) $1150 US

Post Thanks / Like
    So has the Canadian dollar unfortunately

Post Thanks / Like
    So has the Canadian dollar unfortunately
    Are you in Canada?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Are you in Canada?
    Yes, I am in Toronto.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cowan View Post
    I recall some company putting an LS into a Lotus Elise. They sectioned and reinforced the frame, and moved the rear wheels back. But (they say) it created a fast car with good balance.
    http://www.venomgt.com/
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you buy a ring and pinion for the sti box in the 3.00:1 range? What does a fully loaded 2.5L wrx motor weigh?
    I can do anything with enough time and money.