BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Side Sails

Post Thanks / Like

Side Sails

I'm just starting on the body and all I can say is Wow this is not easy.
    are the side sails supposed to cover the welded on mounts for the door latch brackets?
    I've spent most of the day reading build threads and searching for pictures even tried to uploads pics of what I'm talking about and not finding answers.
    if you can help great and if you reference build threads please give a link to the correct page and post number.
    small1202.jpg
    Last edited by gwarden; 01-29-2015 at 05:53 PM. Reason: add photo

Post Thanks / Like
    It's hard to understand the issue without images. Are you having difficulty uploading them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Skyline View Post
    It's hard to understand the issue without images. Are you having difficulty uploading them?
    added a photo

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it is suppose to cover it. Make sure the sails are far enough forward per the manual. Not sure if this pic helps, but here's a pic of mine from behind:

Here's a front facing photo with the bolted bracket behind the fiberglass w/ a light behind it. You see that the side of my sails sit flush w/ the frame and are just in front of the welded bracket:

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same issues. I had to mount one sail back further than the other(measured from that 5/8" spot) to maintain symmetry from side to side. I did have my sails cover the welded door bracket but just barely. I think if you mount them too far back you will have a hard time with the front fenders. (that's much worse than the sails)

Post Thanks / Like
    Your body is too far back, start at the 5/8 to the edge of the lower front curved molded edge of the side panel 5/8 back. Clamp and adjust back to get them even and allow the engine cover to side w/o hitting the roll bar. Details are in the body mounting thread. My side panels are farther back than 5/8, set so that those brackets that you show are right at the edge.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Your body is too far back, start at the 5/8 to the edge of the lower front curved molded edge of the side panel 5/8 back. Clamp and adjust back to get them even and allow the engine cover to side w/o hitting the roll bar. Details are in the body mounting thread. My side panels are farther back than 5/8, set so that those brackets that you show are right at the edge.
    Mine are mounted at the 5/8 mark yet the welded brackets are exposed I would have to move the side forward almost to the edge of the front frame member we are suposed to measure 5/8 off of

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like you might be measuring your 5/8" to the cut edge of the flange on the side pod. You need to measure it to the lower front corner of the 'rocker panel' portion. Look closely at the picture in the manual to see the point they are measuring to.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Larry, please re-read:

Your body is too far back, start at the 5/8 to the edge of the lower front curved molded edge of the side panel 5/8 back. NOT the front edge that is cut and varies, 5/8 to the surface that comes out from the frame, making the car much wider
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys it just made the light come on over my head

Post Thanks / Like
    Larry and Dan are probably right. As you can see in this pic

sidesail.png

they've already trimmed off all the flange material at the front before they made the measurement. The manual doesn't say you have to trim it all the way down, but other pieces won't fit when it comes time to mount the front body pieces if it's not completely removed.

It was still pretty tight on my car, and I had to trim the side sail a tiny bit where it hit the welded flange to get the rear panels square.

BTW, in order to give myself a little more adjust-ability, I mounted the side sails with 10-24 rivnuts instead of the recommended rivets. The tiny bit of wiggle room it provided made it much easier to square things in the rear. I loosened the 10-24 screws, squared it all up, then tightened them down again.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I measured to the trimmed edge. I'll have to find the original manual and see what it shows. I thought I remember seeing the trimmed edge. Explains why my body is set back 1/2" farther than Dans.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I found that the 5/8" is a good "starting point", and not gospel. In other words, set the side sails at 5/8" with clamps and then test fit (clamp) the rear bumper, both engine covers, front bumper and front fenders - lots of clamping pliers! You may have to move the side sails back a bit to get things square and so the front engine cover does not contact the roll bar brace.

Virtually all edges of the fiberglass have to be trimmed, which is intentional by FFR so you can get the exact fit you want.
    Last edited by AZPete; 01-30-2015 at 01:22 PM. Reason: trimming
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Trimmed off the flange and it's all fitting up better now
    Thanks again for all the help