Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help identify this panel

Post Thanks / Like

Help identify this panel

I cannot find this aluminum panel anywhere in the manual, and it has no number stamped on it. Anybody know what it is? up pic two.jpg
    Last edited by tmoretta; 01-31-2015 at 04:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like the panel that goes under the battery compartment in the front. See 14- #80581, "under battery tray cover" in the diagram of panels at the back of the manual - it's barely visible.

Once installed, I drilled a 1/2" hole in each rear corner to serve as a drain for water that will pool on this panel. Water will come in the nose and the two hood vents when driving in the rain.
    Last edited by AZPete; 01-31-2015 at 04:39 PM. Reason: part #
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, heres my battery tray - has a tab on rear corner to connect with steel floor welded to chassis. Therefore the panel you've pictured looks a whole lot different to my battery tray?battery tray.JPG
    Sorry - I cannot identify the panel you've pictured?

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you order the rear diffuser? It looks like the under engine panel that's included when you order that.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Early kits that part had no tab
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I know it is not either the under battery tray or under radiator tray because I already have them mounted. I did not order the rear diffuser, and this piece is too small to fit beneath the engine any way. Really a head scratcher. There is only one - not one of a pair - so can't be for two sides. I just climbed under the car. The panel will fit beneath the transmission, but what would be the point of that? Anybody know?
    Last edited by tmoretta; 01-31-2015 at 07:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It goes below the steering rack to connect the floor to the nose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can it be mounted over both the under battery tray and the under radiator tray?

Post Thanks / Like
    Rori is right. Just installed mine.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoretta View Post
    Can it be mounted over both the under battery tray and the under radiator tray?
    It goes on last, after the trays have been installed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oops, it's not the battery floor - way too short. Sorry. I don't have that panel and I don't see it in the manual diagram. Is it a recent addition, after my #25 chassis perhaps? I see the need to cover the open gap between the nose and battery floors, so does anyone have a part number so I can order one from FFR?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks rori/etal. Yes, I can see now how the panel fits the under steering rack location perfectly. I don't know why the assembly manual is so poorly written. This is only one example of the many omissions I have found in the manual. We really are (except for the expert help from this forum) on our own with this build.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a ton of aluminum I was sent for my R that is in the "Scrap Pile" (Aluminum parts for the"S" only). Comes in handy when I need to fab stuff up
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoretta View Post
    I don't know why the assembly manual is so poorly written. This is only one example of the many omissions I have found in the manual.
    Here is my guess. The first car was built, the manual was written afterwards (you can see some photos where things are already installed that don't come until later in the manual), and things are simply forgotten because they're done so often or people are busy doing other stuff. I think it's also the norm that people don't follow the manual so it's become standard practice to not worry about it. Where I work person A writes a test protocol, person B does pre-verification and follows it exactly. If they can't get past a step (missing pieces) they document exactly what was changed, protocol is updated, and it's checked again until it can be completed start to finish with no deviations.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, but this car is supposed to be successfully built by a novice/newbie. I have a lot of mechanical and car building/modifying experience and I am continually stymied by a really poor manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't disagree with you. A local friend of mine put off buying an 818 because he saw it was 50/50 follow the manual and make it up as you go along. He can assembled stuff, but not fabricate. It's a new genre for FFR (the novice bulider vs fabricator) so I'm hoping they'll improve (because their business will improve).
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports