Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Build Effort and Skill level - MK4 Roadster vs Coupe vs.GTM

Post Thanks / Like

Build Effort and Skill level - MK4 Roadster vs Coupe vs.GTM

My Dad and I built a FF MK4 with a Ford Coyote a couple of years ago. Love it, love driving it, but miss the fun and challenge of building it. We are considering a new project, and are trying to decide if we build a FF Coupe, a GT40 (obviously from someone other than FF), or the GTM. From what I can tell, the Coupe would be very similar to the Roadster, but the GTM seems to be a whole different beast, and maybe a different degree of skill and fabrication required. Given that you guys are the experts having built these, and I'm sure some of you have built both, I'd be curious to get opinions on the similarities, differences to the actual build. Any thoughts and advice are sure appreciated. I know that the 3 cars we are considering are widely different and the actual decision won't just be on the skill level, but the car we want, but I also don't want to take on something that is beyond my skillset. The Roadster just seemed to have a wide variety of options that could bolt in, and a very well documented manual and strong community to support. I suspect the GTM is similar but don't know that for sure.

The GT40 would be my first pick in terms of a car to replicate. My main concern there is getting caught up with a kit that isn't of the same quality of FF. There doesn't seem to be anyone as dominant in that market as FF is in the Roadster. I love the look of the GTM, and just in looking at it have to believe that it took some design attributes from the GT40 in the first place. Sort of the modern day GT40 (prior to Ford's recent announcement).

I'd sure appreciate your thoughts on the build differences and anything else I may want to, or should consider. Thx in advance

Any thoughts or comments are sure appreciated.
    Last edited by Slider; 02-05-2015 at 03:06 PM.
    BUILT WITH MY DAD! - MK4, 5.0 Coyote, TK0 600 with Mid-Shift, Hydraulic Clutch, Power Steering, Custom Built Stainless 4:1:4 Headers by "Stainless Headers", Dual-Rollbars, 15" Wheels, Foot Box Vents and Seat Heaters, Patriot Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes Kit arrived: June 2, 2012 - Driving: May 22, 2013
    BUILDING WITH MY DAD! - Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe, Gen3 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Hydraulic Clutch, PS, Stainless headers, 17" wheels, Race Seats, GPS Gauges Ordered 1-30-2019

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO the order you have listed is from the easiest (MK4) to the hardest(GTM).

Post Thanks / Like
    My first build was a GTM. If you built a roadster you have the skills, but the key with the GTM is the determination you need to get it done. You can build the car without fab work, but I think lots of guys get into the customization. I know I did.

I personally think the only thing that is hard with the GTM is the bodywork. Im not a body guy but I was able to get it done. The GTM bodywork is no harder than putting aftermarket body panels on a 60s muscle car. You simply need to adjust all the parts so they all work together then some minor panel blending and you are golden. If you expect the bodywork to be as quick and easy as the assembly of the car you might get frustrated, but there are a ton of people to help you on this forum. You will not be alone. I am a GT40 fan. I would love to have one. I love the GTM bc its not a GT 40.
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    I built a Roadster and like you, enjoyed the build. I completed the build including bodywork and paint in 13 months.

Building a GTM now and doing a lot of stuff completely different than the stock kit. Check out my thread "C5 and C6 donor build" I'm guessing it will be at least a four year project.

For a completely stock kit I would say it would take at least twice as long to build a GTM compared to a Roadster. Lots more bodywork, parts fitting etc. The doors alone add months with all the fitting, power windows and so forth.

If you built a Roadster without getting over your head and are comfortable with fiberglass bodywork for sure you can build a GTM. Just got to focus and dedicate the years to complete the project.

Aaron

GTM #403
    www.aghcars.com