Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Corvette Instrument Panel in my Gen2 GTM Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Corvette Instrument Panel in my Gen2 GTM Build

I wanted to post a short video of the corvette IP I'm incorporating into my build. It and the HUD are full up just as if it was all still in the C5. The wiring was tedious and troubleshooting the serial data bus was a time bandit, but I have every system up and functioning except for power seats and magnasteer which are not part of my build. My HP Tuner arrives today so I will soon be able to clear the MIL and fine tune some items. As of right now there are no PCM, BCM or TCS codes (I'll explain how I fooled the serial data bus into seeing magnasteer and brake boost on a thread in the future and my build site). The only codes are three for the Seat Control Module (SCM). The TPMS is up and fuction now too. The fuse was blow and I replaced it after making the video. Special thanks to Ted (LSMan) for all the diagrams and answers. http://quickracingproducts.com/

Now if I can just get Steve here to Central Florida to take of my dash...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA276j4ming
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    That's awesome Vidal! You've been quite busy.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    That's awesome Vidal! You've been quite busy.
    Stig,
    You know, I think it may have taken less time than most have reported with the painless kit. I have about 50 hours to this point for wiring. I still have to secure, detail and make a few connections like the AC wiring, so I'm estimating around 15 hours there. The only electrical hurdle left is the hazard switch. I want to use the kit switch, but the corvettes switch has the flasher inside of it. Once that's complete I'll check the AC for leaks then evac/charge and do a detail review of the systems I have incorporated for the forums and my build log site.

R/s
    Vidal
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's awesome that you were able to get everything working so quickly. Did you use all of the wiring from the car? BCM as well?

I'm hoping to do something similar, but with a Porsche 997 Gauge Cluster. I'm not sure yet if/how it's going to work but it'll look pretty nice if it does.

I'm also planning to try to use the gauge pod (dash cover) from the Porsche, to integrate into the GTM dash, to make it all look like it's supposed to be there.

We'll see how it ends up. Until all of that get worked out, I'll have my VDO Gauges hooked up and working.

Take Care Buddy!
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All of it

Stig,
    When I tore down my donor I removed the entire harness intact with every module and termination. So the functionality only had small hurdles. The hard part was finding a place to mount all of the modules and there are quite a few. The BCM and interior fuse panel are mounted/temp mounted under the passenger dash area. Under hood fuse panel and PCM are in there normal GTM place. The EBTCM is over the top of the steering shaft beside the washer fluid tank. The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve system blower is mounted to the lower, right rear of the transaxle. The Fuel System Canister and motor is mounted under the driver's side fuel tank cover. The Radio Frequency Receiver (RFA) for the TPMS and key fob will be mounted in the engine bay, top inside of the panel directly behind the wheel. The door modules will be mounted inside the doors. The Seat Control Module (SCM) will be mounted in the tunnel or under the driver's side dash. The Steering Angle Sensor is mounted on the steering column shaft. The Yaw-Rate Sensor will be mounted under the inside, front passenger seat. The Lateral Accelerometer is mounted on the lip at the bottom front of the cable shifter. Just like I said, there are a lot of modules. So in order to get them where there was space required all of the wire extending I had to do. I only removed a minimum of wiring. Only the things I knew I would not or could not use. Like the AC and SRS wiring. I also had to electronically manipulate the magnasteer input to the EBTCM to clear the code that was there because it wasn't plugged in. I plan to detail all of my work once everything is photo worthy.

I don't know if I can be of any help with what you want to do with the Porsche IP. My advice would be to seek out a person that is extremely familiar and skilled with their systems.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool. Can you zero out the odometer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Vidal, if I send you a couple of those four prong trailer plugs, and another oem dash, can you take a minute and tie them iogether so I can do that setup too? :-)

Joking aside, looks great! If I could only program my TV!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fact5racer View Post
    Hey Vidal, if I send you a couple of those four prong trailer plugs, and another oem dash, can you take a minute and tie them iogether so I can do that setup too? :-)

Joking aside, looks great! If I could only program my TV!
    Fast5racer,
    I was in a soldering groove....Had to be. I've tallied a running count of over 300 solder connections made over the past few week-ends.......and I’ll make a few more as I detail and give it that factory look. I'll probably end up creating an isolated flasher circuit for the hazards so that I can use the supplied switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Very cool. Can you zero out the odometer?
    I was given a link by fellow member of a device that will do just that. Definitely a company tool at $5k. I can get a New Stock IP for less than $400. I'll buy new or if I come across a used one with around 15k miles I'll likely purchase it so that it closely matches my LS6's actual mileage.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are playing Chess, while I'm struggling to figure out how to play Checkers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with you ArtGirl. My years of tinkering with my old Mustang somehow don't seem to prepare me for the challenges ahead. I plan to start one in about a year. I ordered a hard copy manual that will hopefully help my research phase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Only 300 solder connections, that's a good start: