FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Front License Plate Bracket

Post Thanks / Like

Front License Plate Bracket

Hey, I'm looking for options for mounting a front license plate. I really don't want to, but it's a $200 fine if I get pulled over for it (Wisconsin). So, please share pictures of your front license plate, where you got the bracket (or how you made it), and how you like it.
    Build Blog
    #8203, carbed 427W (611 hp), TKO 600, IRS
    Delivered: May 27, 2014
    Mechanically "Complete": October 1, 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Somewhere I have seen a bracket that mounts to the side and uses the screws from the turn signal light for mounting. I will look for some photo's.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    The Ohio owner of the car I'm finishing up right now sent Mike Everson's mount. Looks well designed and well made but I'm refusing to put it on because front plates are ugly and I won't be party to that---he can put it on himself when he gets it home

Here it is: front plate page

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    The Ohio owner of the car I'm finishing up right now sent Mike Everson's mount. Looks well designed and well made but I'm refusing to put it on because front plates are ugly and I won't be party to that---he can put it on himself when he gets it home

Here it is: front plate page

Cheers,
    Jeff
    Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm hoping to find one that mounts to the front hoop that is easy to install/take off. If I can find that, I might forget to install it and keep it in the trunk. Then, if I get pulled over, I'll be reminded that it's not on, pop it back into place, and drive off into the sunset without a ticket.
    Build Blog

Post Thanks / Like
    In that case, use my set-up but with wingnuts instead of rivets to hold the Adel clamps to the hoop.

Mine was just temporary to pass the IL inspection by the secretary of state police, but it turned out to be very rigid. I removed it because I don't mind risking the "no-plate" ticket. But, I kept it on the shelf in case I do get nabbed and have second thoughts.

It's just a piece of scrap .040" aluminum, slightly smaller than the license plate, with six holes drilled in it. Four of those are for mounting the plate to it and the remaining two are to connect it to a pair of rubber lined 1" Adel clamps that hold it to the bumper hoop. I used rivets to secure the clamps, but a pair of screws with wing nuts would do the same and make it removable - i.e., portable to carry in the trunk all ready to go in the event you're pulled over. To finish it off, I used a little spare windlace / plastic edging to cover the sharp edges.

Here's a pic.

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    In that case, use my set-up but with wingnuts instead of rivets to hold the Adel clamps to the hoop.

Mine was just temporary to pass the IL inspection by the secretary of state police, but it turned out to be very rigid. I removed it because I don't mind risking the "no-plate" ticket. But, I kept it on the shelf in case I do get nabbed and have second thoughts.

It's just a piece of scrap .040" aluminum, slightly smaller than the license plate, with six holes drilled in it. Four of those are for mounting the plate to it and the remaining two are to connect it to a pair of rubber lined 1" Adel clamps that hold it to the bumper hoop. I used rivets to secure the clamps, but a pair of screws with wing nuts would do the same and make it removable - i.e., portable to carry in the trunk all ready to go in the event you're pulled over. To finish it off, I used a little spare windlace / plastic edging to cover the sharp edges.

Here's a pic.

I think I might just do that (or something very similar). I'm thinking of using a pipe clamp in place of the adel clamp: similar to http://www.mscdirect.com/product/det...S_010=36987154 with rubber lining around the hoop.

Now I'm just thinking out loud...
    Build Blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you seen these,

http://www.hidetheplate.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I like that, I would recommend checking the laws in your state as to devices that hide, and so on to your license plate. I use to be a local cop in NC, we do not have front plates, but there was a statute pertaining to hiding or being able to conceal your plate. There is a chance it could be a felony.
    Front plates are different, but I would recommend checking your state law and the verbiage.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a mount from ********** a few years ago, but never put it on. I carry mine in the trunk. By just posting this I'll probably get pulled over. I like the hoop mount, I'll be making one soon. I worry every time I see a cop while driving, probably should just put it on. I just hate the plate in the front.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I registered my roadster as a '65 and the DMV allows you to then register a vintage '65 plate to the car. (picked mine up from eBay). AND in '65, our state only had 1 rear plate!
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    I can help - no longer need this mount ********** Bracket

Paul