Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: wheel wells

Post Thanks / Like

wheel wells

I bought my 818 a yoga pad for Valentine's Day!
    I know from my roadster that the front tires fling pebbles up against the front fenders which make star cracks in the finish. I used spray undercoating to glue a piece of foam yoga pad to the underside of the front fenders so I won't get star cracks.

818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Heavy undercoating, by itself, won't do it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess it depends on how heavy, but I had 2 coats of undercoating underneath my roadster fenders and got stars. Once I added stiff foam I got no new stars. Perhaps the roadster guys know how many layers of undercoating will work but I just want to be sure.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    When I mounted the front fenders I noticed that there is an opening in the headlight bucket that would collect crud thrown by the tire - rattlesnakes, geckos, small tourists in my case, perhaps you'll get mud and salt. There's also an opening above the bucket for crud to enter the headlight cavity. The left photo shows the openings. I used pieces of the foam yoga mat to cover these openings. The bottom piece is riveted between the bent edge of the aluminum upper piece that holds a flexible foam piece to contact the fender. I also added foam to the top of the front wheel well panel because the bulb seal did not seal against the fender tightly. The middle photo is before I mounted the fender and the right photo is with the fender mounted. I later sprayed the aluminum piece black and trimmed the foam so it doesn't ripple.

Last edited by AZPete; 02-15-2015 at 11:55 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the heads-up Pete.
    I wouldn't have known about the star cracks from stones.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    AZPete How thick was the mat you used? The one I have is about 3/16 in thick. Is that too thick?
    Dave