FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The best mod ever/Mechanical throttle

Post Thanks / Like

The best mod ever/Mechanical throttle

Mechanical throttle linkage has had a lot of press lately so I thought I too should chime in and sing it praises. Ive been tweaking my car for 4 some odd years and 30,000 miles and it is almost there. But of all the things I did the switch from the cable to mechanical throttle linkage was by far the very best. I not only works superior to the cable but it unleashed a whole lot of lost/hidden potential from the engine. It is clear that the cable was not allowing full throttle and not nearly as linear and smooth. I assembled the parts as per a shopping list from a previous post but the set up that Mike Forte sells is a dead ringer for it. And yes it can be installed on a completed car that does not have a removable drivers foot box cover. It works perfectly with Russ Thompson's accelerator pedal. There was some contorting involved but well worth it. Totally changed the driving experience of the car. So if your on the fence, hop off now while the snow is still deep, or the weather is in the upper 70s or lower 80s like it is hear in California. Well worth it.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Robert,

How about some pics of your mechanical linkage in your engine bay. I've gathered the necessary parts for mine but I have not done it yet. It sounds interesting about the behavior of the cable (linearity and full throttle). I still have the donor pedal too but plan on a change. Glad you are pleased with your choice.

Thanks,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    WEK, there are several threads on the other forum w/ info. Get a Russ Thompson pedal and a mechanical linkage and you won't believe the difference.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just finished up Mikes kit over the weekend. It does feel much different than the cable but I'm in New Jersey so I have a little bit of a wait before I can truly experience the difference. I have the FFR pedal and it seems to work smoothly.
    Delivered 11/12/11
    2014 small fall cruise http://youtu.be/fwk0TXXZGEU
    First Start: http://youtu.be/547P6SHGixI
    Go Kart 2/12: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQSUL-6q15k

Post Thanks / Like
    Wek, I don't have any pictures of mine but the link below is where is got my ideas and it contains some pretty good pictures.

hth

Robert.
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/160-mod...NICAL+THROTTLE

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't like to have my car down for very long so I will probably think about this a little longer even though I have the stuff to do it. I liked the pics. Now to decide if it should be mounted on the fire wall or like the original 289s. I think the firewall mount would be much easier.

Thanks for the thread,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I agree, this is a great mod for the roadster. Certainly easier to do while in the build stage, but it can be done on a finished car.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,