Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Padanaram / Wareham Design Project

Post Thanks / Like

Padanaram / Wareham Design Project

I wasn't sure just where to put this, so I figured I would just put it in the General Discussions area.

I while back I found an article by Mark Smith about Factory Five's history, from it's early beginnings. I found the whole story very enlightening and praiseworthy of all involved in FFR's early beginnings and where they are now.

This got me thinking about an idea to possibly commemorate FFR's 25th anniversary.

Since about 2006 I have been playing around with the idea of using the FFR Roadster and Type 65 Coupe as a base for a couple of custom car designs that would have a classic 1950s to early 1960s look.

The one idea that is based on the FFR Roadster or the 289 USRRC Roadster, not sure which one would work or look better at this point. I talked about it in the following thread. Wareham Special Design Project I need to have the title changed though, since I have changed the "inwork" title.

The other idea is based on the FFR Type 65 Coupe. Which right now is called the Classic 1950s Design. I talked about this design a little bit here Classic 1950s Design Project

Between the two (Roadster/289 or Type 65 Coupe), it looks like the Roadster or the 289 would be easier to accomplish the the Type 65 Coupe, at least from all the thinking through stuff.

The Barchetta Design Project (Roadster or 289 USRRC based) mostly are changes in the aesthetic of the car. The design would enhance the car by changing the front, hood, side vents, rear, rear deck, and interior. The idea I have for the interior would be some mod.s to the dash and doors, but the most enhancement of the interior and the rear deck is the body curved down and into the interior. Think of how the seating in on the C1 corvette. I don't see any major changes to the chassis, other then maybe having to move the frame rail that hold the trunk hinges, maybe. Also might have to relocate the frame parts for new nerf bars.

The Roadster based design would retain the front fender flares and the wider rear fenders, which I am leaning more towards, since it would involve less body work then using the 289 USRRC as a base. The idea I have for the 289 based design would require getting rid of the front fender flares and moving the fendering out to even with the rear fenders, which means a lot of work.

The Classic 1950s Design (based on the Type 65 Coupe) would involve a lot more work, not just on the body but also the chassis, mostly due to design being a spyder. The desing is inspired by the Lancia D24, but would not be a replica, I repeat...would not be a replica.

So there is the basic idea I have in mind. I am leaning more towards the FFR Roadster for the base, not only that I really like the idea on the interior I have in mind .

Trying to get some input, so after you read this, please give some thoughts, ideas etc. This way I can get a handle on which way to go with this idea and work up some designs and work out some kind of way to pitch this idea to Dave Smith and FFR.

Thanks
    David
    Last edited by Vman7; 03-12-2015 at 05:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    opps....forgot to mention the reason for the title Padanaram / Wareham Design Project.

The title is based on where FFR started to where they are now, location wise.

I am thinking about using the Wareham name for the Design of the car. Wareham Special, just has a better ring to it then Padanaram Special.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Teaser....

Still a long ways to go...

Mostly working on the side view until I can't do anymore side stuff w/o working on rear and front in order to finish the front/rear parts of the side view.

and no the top of the fender is not flat, I cutout the top of the fender and hood scoop in the teaser.

WS SV Teaser 1.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    David,

My bad, I thought you wanted input...
    Last edited by UpstateCobraGuy; 02-20-2015 at 10:20 PM. Reason: My bad, I thought you wanted input...
    Mark III 4630RD Explorer 302, Holley SA570, FRPP B-cam, 4 to 4's, 3 Link, Bullitt wheels, Baer Brakes, 3.73 gears, HD T-5, I2 wiring, Koni Coilovers, Classic Gauges. Jaguar Racing Green w/ Silver stripes

PM me if you live in Upstate New York. Get added to the "Upstate Cobras" email list. 60+ members!

Post Thanks / Like
    I should have never started this thread. I see it now the "Purists" are going to go bananas!!! rofl

<<<scratching head and thinking....do ppl not read what I post......
    Last edited by Vman7; 02-20-2015 at 03:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UpstateCobraGuy View Post
    David,

My bad, I thought you wanted input...
    oh no no, I had no problem with the input That's why I put ... rofl at the end

Note: the car is Based on the Roadster body. Not trying to create a new one, and yes most will know that it is a FFR roadster body, but yet different with more of a classic 50s euro look.
    Last edited by Vman7; 02-20-2015 at 10:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just as the original Shelby C@br@ was based on the AC Ace. The design of this car(s) (either the Roadster based or Type 65 Coupe based), would still be unique, as was Shelby's was.

As far as the roll up window and the covertible top, those are a big challenge. Many have tried, some kind of worked, some are pretty innovative. Not sure about roll up windows, sinve there isn't much room in the door. I do have a few ideas from looking at what some others have done over the years. I'll have to post some pictures of what I have found on the internet.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah just had another thought......yeah yeah I know could cause me some brain damage....lol

This is why when I first posted the idea on the Agile Bellezza Design Project I said "I was and still am hesitant in starting a thread or even talking about this project, due to that it might offend some of the FFR Roadster purist." I wasn't being sarcastic. I really don't want to offend any of the purist. If I was ever to do a FFR Roadster or 289 USRRC, the only thing design wise I would change is the gauge layout, other then that I would keep it pure.

This is why I was thinking of this Padanaram/Wareham design (Wareham Special) of using either the FFR Roadster or Type 65 Coupe as a base to work with. I actually like working with the Type 65 Coupe more, but like I said end up getting into changing areas of the chassis, which is what I and I am sure FFR would rather avoid if possible.

Ok back to what I said in the beginning of this post about having another thought. I suppose the GTO idea I have for the 65 coupe could work as well, only I was trying to keep that kind of on it's own, that and I like the GTO name too much.....lol

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Just giving an update.

I'll try and post some pics when I get some time about the side window research.

Still working on the side view for right now. I really don't want to post any designs until I get it more finished, then I'll go back and work on the front and rear views.

A lot of shading involved to clean up areas so I can do some options for the windshield and windscreen. Basically I am creating a blank to work with.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a quick update.

Orig & New FDeck preview.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Update: Still working on the side view mostly. There is still a lot of work to be done, shading reflections, details etc. Working on the front and side at the same time.

The rear tail light will be frenched in. Not sure which ones to go with just yet, either the orig or the 1950 Pontiac ones. The front turn signal light will also be frenched in.

The rear area (which you can't see from this view) has been reshaped. The 2 "dimple" areas between the tail light area and the trunk have been smoothed out to create a smooth transition from side to side on the rear view, also the rear from top to bottom on the side view has been more made more horz.

Still working with different ideas for the side pipe heat shield and some other windscreen options.

In the meantime here is a Mock-up of the Side View

Wareham Special SV MU1.JPG

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 03-11-2015 at 09:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it looks real nice
    Owner MK4 7642RD, 393 stroker, Gordon Levy Super Alloy T5, HDX Clutch, Moser 3.31 3-link with disc brakes, 17" Bullit wheels, NT05's, Seat heaters donated by WarmSeats.com, door panels donated by Herbs Door panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyWinner View Post
    I think it looks real nice
    Thanks Lucky

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I have decided to call the FFR Roadster MKIV Based Design the Wareham Special, so I changed the link in post #1.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    That is real slick. The only thing that stands out to me is the rear wheel well opening. Looks like it needs to close up a bit and look more like the front. Keep up the good work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks ricky

Post Thanks / Like
    Everything related to FFR Roadster MKIV base design, which in now called the Wareham Special Design Project will now be discussed in that thread. As far as the other design based on the Type 65 Coupe, not sure yet what to do about that, since right now I am mostly focused on the Wareham Special.

David