Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Custom Aluminum Fuel Tank measurements.

Post Thanks / Like

Custom Aluminum Fuel Tank measurements.

Can anyone here tell me what the measurement from the flat panel where the fuel sender is mounted, to the bottom of the tank on the Custom Aluminum Tanks that a bunch of us picked up? I need to replace the fuel sender, and need to know how long the tube needs to be.

Thanks

Mike

Last edited by The Stig; 02-18-2015 at 09:10 PM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. I pulled the fuel sender from the tank and measured the depth from the inside bottom of the tank to the upper mounting surface where the sender mounts. I measured 14 7/8". The sender length is 14.0". So the fuel gauge will read empty at 14" leaving about 2 gallons "reserve".

The fuel sender that came with my tanks, was made by Centroid Products. It doesn't use a float based resistor to measure ohms. It measures by capacitance. The tube is hollow, and apparently the as the fuel level drops, the pressure changes in the tube. The change in pressure is translated to ohms resistance.

The Centroid sender is rated at 15/160 ohms: (15 empty to 160 full). The gauges that come with the GTM kit are 16 /158. So there is some difference, which could translate to a bit of a difference in how the gauge reads. But not enough to warrant switching the fuel sender out, just because... But if you do find the need to change it, you'll need a 14" tube style sender, rated at 16 / 158 ohms.

I'm switching mine because my fuel gauge and sender aren't matched, and therefore aren't reading correctly. So Classic Instruments is making sure that my instrument movements and senders are all matched.

The water temp sensor was installed on a 3" aluminum adapter, which holds the sensor out of the coolant flow. Therefore, the temperature the was being shown wasn't the actual temp of the coolant that was being circulated. The correct sensor it being shipped that will install directly to the cylinder head with the probe directly in the coolant flow.

Once I have the water temp sending correct temps to the gauge, I can get the coolant lines clear of air bubbles and getting the constant engine temp regulated again. Then I'll take it out on the road and get tachometer calibrated...

it seems like there is always a list of items to take care of in order to get this thing finished up. But it's getting there.

It goes to the paint shop on the 8th. The rear hatch will be prepped, painted, and installed. I can not wait to see how it ties the rear of the car together without the second hump, or the gaps.

The scratches will be corrected and GONE! The splitter, rocker extensions, hatch vent cover, and diffuser will all be sprayed with 3 more coats of clear, wet sanded, and then polished out.

The GTM should be finished with ALL work 2 weeks before the transporter gets here to take it to Huntington Beach.

Oh yeah...! The parts for the suspension rework are done, and if time permits, I'll switch them out and get the front end re-aligned.. With this new configuration, camber and caster can be set at whatever I want. So 5 degrees of negative caster will be the goal.

When I get it back from HB, it'll go back to the Interior shop for some tweaking on the halo covers; particularly, the front roll bar cover. It drops down a tad further than expected, cutting down on my field of vision. It's going to have to come up at least 1". That's the only thing that I can think of right now that I would change. Period.

The finish line is just "one shop" away! ��

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 02-23-2015 at 09:56 PM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    When I get it back from HB, it'll go back to the Interior shop for some tweaking on the halo covers; particularly, the front roll bar cover. It drops down a tad further than expected, cutting down on my field of vision. It's going to have to come up at least 1". That's the only thing that I can think of right now that I would change. Period.

Mike
    Mike,

This product helps increase your "upward" vision, like seeing traffic lights when you're stopped below them. I hated twisting and craning my neck, so I paid the big bucks ($17.50) and got one of these. It helps.

http://www.lightinsight.com/

-Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
    Mike,

This product helps increase your "upward" vision, like seeing traffic lights when you're stopped below them. I hated twisting and craning my neck, so I paid the big bucks ($17.50) and got one of these. It helps.

http://www.lightinsight.com/

-Michael
    LOL!!! Good idea, but that would just about use up the amount of windshield that I can see through.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081