Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dave Smith threw a squirrel into my decision making process

Post Thanks / Like

Dave Smith threw a squirrel into my decision making process

With the recent announcement of the coupe version, the 818 has returned to become a possible first project for me. I still have my eye on the 65 coupe but the 818C is a very VERY close second.

I have spent the past few days combing the build threads as well as purchasing the .pdf manual. I have gotten a lot of amazing ideas as how to build this car and the look I have envisioned in my head. I even already decided on the paint!!

There will be some slight body work that needs to be done (I can already hear you all snickering in the background) but I figure it will be a fun challenge for me.

I have already amassed a small list of the build so far, but it's subject to change

The plan so far:

Factory Five

-818 Coupe Canadian edition
    -self pickup
    -powder coated chasis
    -2006-2007 turbocharged donor
    -carbon fiber street splitter
    -carbon fiber panel extensions
    -carbon fiber rear difuser
    -carbon fiber street spoiler (maybe the race wing instead)
    -320mm black leather steering wheel (to be decided)
    +818 steering wheel adapter
    -818 wiper set
    -vinyl padded interior panel set (may get the upholsterer to do this)
    -complete carpet set

Paint

-Sherman Williams FFR Titanium Grey Metalic FACFIVE13 with gloss clear

Donor vehicle:

2006-2007 WRX

Breeze

-818 turbo completion pack (see if he will upgrade to the koni double adjustable shocks)
    -13" front red wilwood brakes
    -12.88" rear red wilwood brakes
    -adjustable rear lower control arms (to be decided)
    -818 wilwood pedal box

Very Cool Parts

-air to water intercooler with bov
    -vcp k-tuned shifter (to be decided)
    -vcp wide wheel trailing arms

Fast Freddies

-electro-hydraulic power steering kit

AJW

-performance exhaust with street muffler
    -or-
    -performance stage 2 package

Replica Parts

-GTM exhaust trim rings

iWire

-818s wiring kit
    wire everything for the stalk and steering column, radio, HVAC, wipers, power windows, power mirrors, power locks?

Tail lights

-Hella premium modules: red outer ring with amber turn signal
    -or-
    -outer outer lamp led tail light unit from eliseparts.com

Fog lights

-PIAA lp270 led fog light kit
    -or-
    -Hella micro de fog light set (may go premium edition)

Driving lights

-PIAA lp270 led driving light set
    -or-
    -Hella de xenon spotlight set (may go premium edition)

*will need to glass in mounting brackets to mount both the fog and driving lights

Michelin

-pilot sport as3 225/35R18 front, 255/35R18 rear

Wheels

style to be decided but use the following measurements as a base:
    -18x8.0 +40 (40mm offset) front
    -18x9.0 +40 (40mm offset) rear

Vintage Air

-gen 2 mini system
    -60500 vua 180° duct adapter
    -4 knob gen2 streamline billet panel

Stereo

brand and style to be decided. prefer nav system.
    -front mounted USB plug
    -buckets for the speakers
    -amp and sub?

Miscelaneous ideas

-bring inner door skins to upholsterer to create padded door panels. this will include turning the crater in the middle of the doors into
    usable pockets, actual door handles, and recesses for switches.

As you can see it's a small list but it's a start. I am open to any suggestions that you have. Like I said, this would be my first kit and would love to learn from all your experience.

thanks,

P
    Last edited by narkosys; 02-25-2015 at 06:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what I was thinking for the driving and fog lights. Forgive my poor photoshop/GIMP skills. I used Honalulu's 818 as he had the best head on shot of the nose.

image (1).jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a good plan!

Post Thanks / Like
    That should come together as a very nice 818.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I am assuming you are from Canada as you are looking into a canadian version.
    Where abouts are you from?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks like a good plan, my only comments/advice are:

With all the parts you're planning on upgrading, you may not need a donor if you prefer that route. Take a look at the required donor parts, cross off everything you won't need (brakes, pedal box, control arms, etc...) and consider buying what's left a la carte from ebay or salvage yard. For the motor, also plan on at least an thorough overhaul (plugs, gaskets, timing belt, water pump, etc...) up to a full rebuild, depending on the mileage and condition of what you find.

Thought about seats and belts vs harnesses? Didn't see that mentioned.

Finally, reconsider the power steering. I've only steered my non-running 818 around the driveway at low speed, but the front end is so light it takes little effort. My wife can turn the wheels at full stop with a 320mm steering wheel on asphalt. For driving at speed, PS will be totally unnecessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That's a good looking game plan on your build.

On the power steering I'm on the other side of the fence. I am considering adding power steering and was interested in that electro-hydraulic power steering kit you mentioned. I didn't know something like that existed and if I go PS will likely take that route.

I have spun my 818 a half a dozen times now. For me, once I lose the tail it's rather difficult to bring it back. I brought this up to Jim at the Sema show and he mentioned with the lighter & quicker response of a PS setup made a notable difference in bringing the car out of an over-steering situation. They had been doing some testing with it at the time of our conversation, i'm not sure where they ended up.

PS has made my list of future upgrades.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    I have spun my 818 a half a dozen times now. For me, once I lose the tail it's rather difficult to bring it back. I brought this up to Jim at the Sema show and he mentioned with the lighter & quicker response of a PS setup made a notable difference in bringing the car out of an over-steering situation. They had been doing some testing with it at the time of our conversation, i'm not sure where they ended up.
    Brandon makes a good point... for a track car with extra downforce and sticky tires driven at the limit I can see PS helping to catch a slide by being able to countersteer quicker. For a street car not being pushed nearly as hard, I'd probably still prefer the more direct feel of manual though. Your choice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Brandon makes a good point... for a track car with extra downforce and sticky tires driven at the limit I can see PS helping to catch a slide by being able to countersteer quicker. For a street car not being pushed nearly as hard, I'd probably still prefer the more direct feel of manual though. Your choice!
    Its a toss up, I started out with no power steering on my challenge car and all was fine, I would take the road feel and the less twitchy feel at high speed (well 145mph for challenge car) over the quick error recovery. I had to add PS because we went up to 8.5 degree camber and was hard to steer out of a turn, so will see how the 818 feels. The challenge car is always tail happy and losing it is very easy but the power can bring it back in line fairly quickly. Also de-powering the rack should make it a little better (less resistance).
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for some great advice. This is why I love this forum, you guys rock.

I live in the mountains of BC, hence the Canadian version.

For the seats, I was going to see what the donor ones look like and if I don't like them I would go with a set of Corbeau LG1 seats. I plan to use the donor seat belts.

I am not a big fan of depowering as to me it seems like you are breaking the rack. But everyone seems to be having success with it so I am not crossing that option off the list yet. I can always start with the manual and change to power at a later date. I didn't see instructions on depowering the rack in the manual so I am assuming that I will have to browse the forums for how to do it.

I can't wait for the unveil this summer.

P

Post Thanks / Like
    Depowering the rack FFR style is very straight forward. Disconnect the pump lines and loop the rack lines. It leaves 4 open ports where the column enters the rack (the rack ports no longer go there once looped). Plug those holes and you could repower it very easily. That's all I did, and after go karting, I really don't think I'll need to. I'm no expert on track use, so follow Brando in that department I guess. Some guys modified the valving to theoretically reduce steering slop. I didn't sense any when I drove my unmodified rack, and once you mod it, re powering the rack will be more involved. For those reasons, I'm leaving it as is. Plans look good!
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't know about an electrical pump option for power steering. My plan was to run longer lines and use the stock pump. But, like I said, I'm pretty sure I won't.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14