FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: coolent tube idea?

Post Thanks / Like

coolent tube idea?

I have an idea, I am looking at options other than the FFR supplied coolent tubing, I know Breeze has a beautiful kit but at 500-600 plus shipping, exchange and duty to Canada its gonna be a 700 dollarish kit.

I ordered some Subaru WRX hoses (cut in half), .065 aluminum tubing (same as FFR tubing) and a tool to bump the end of the tubing (so the hose cant slide off) I can piece a system together. It will have a few extra joints in each side of the system but I can make a whole system for 150-200 bucks CDN

also with the 90deg and 45deg hoses it allows me to route in other locations. spending the 700 is not a real issue but I look for ideas and ways to save and put the money elswhere ie Waynes shifter, nicer paint and wheels or tires.

have a look at the pics and feel free to give me your opinions

011.JPG012.JPG013.JPG[ATTACH=CONFIG]39185[/ATTACHish
    Attached Images Attached Images

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like it! I'm sure a lot of folks would appreciate the part numbers for the hoses, and where you cut them and how you used them. The tool to bump the ends of the hoses is pretty expensive though isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like
    just go to the autoparts store and get the upper and lower rad hose for a 2004 subaru WRX 2.0L, the upper hose is an S shape and just cut it in half, and the lower is a odd S shape but if cut in half you get 2 - 45degish hoses. I bought 2 of each, they were only 12 bucks each and re used the ones that came with my donor as they were almost new. I think I will need another lower to finish the couplings.

as for the tool I made one with a muffler clamp, washer and a pair of old vicegrips. See youtube. and a welder. Its a bit of work to crimp by hand but I have time and strong hands.

I have a mig welder and a Tig but by the time I buy mandrel bent aluminum or Steel tubing and tig it together It adds a fair bit to the cost.

just trying to think outside the box.

Post Thanks / Like
    looks good, i did something similar, but instead of wrx specific hoses, i got a large amount of that generic hosing from oreillys, advance, autozone, etc that has that kind of metal spiraling lining it. It was flexible enough to make bends and curves but still seemed fairly strong. I really like how you did the passenger rear coming off the engine and making that turn.

Post Thanks / Like
    how much tubing did you buy? also can you post pics of the drivers side engine and how you went around the gas fill tube. thx
    Last edited by Samiam1017; 03-03-2015 at 08:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it. I would have done the same thing if it wasn't for the fact that my car was used as the test dummy for the coolant tubes.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I am just starting to build the piping, I am away for work for a few weeks so it will be a few weeks before I can continue. I have some ideas to make it smoother and cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you are able to weld you can get aluminum U bends and weld up solid aluminum tube sections and only use rubber hose to join sections that can’t be installed in one piece.

Bill Lomenick
    Chotis Bill