Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Installing FFR Headers on Coyote in 33HR

Post Thanks / Like

Installing FFR Headers on Coyote in 33HR

I have installed the Ceramic coated FFR headers in the Hot Rod, engine is already installed.
    For the life of me I can't seem to get the lower header bolt installed for cylinders 2 & 6; second one back on each side.
    It appears that I will have to remove the motor mounts to do this, AArgg, I don't really want to do this if possible.
    For those that have done this, can you tell me your trick to getting these 2 header bolts installed.

thanks,
    Nevin
    Last edited by H R Lucky; 03-01-2015 at 07:03 PM. Reason: spelling
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015
    5.0 Coyote engine, 9in. Ford rear, 4 Link, Wilwood 12in. front brakes
    AC, power steering, FFR 17/18in. Hot Rod wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to get the drivers side bolt in using a flex extension on a 3/8 ratchet, but still unable to get the passenger side, I think I unintentionally caused the problem back when I was installing the engine, I modified the motor mounts to move the engine forward about 3/8 in. to get clearance at the firewall and now the motor mount is too close the header to get a socket & extension in there at that point. I think I will remove the PS header and install a stud in the block for cyl 2, I think I can get a nut on it, just can't start a bolt straight. Any other ideas?

Nevin
    Last edited by H R Lucky; 03-01-2015 at 07:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to vision what going on, but if the motor mount is in the way, is it easier to remove the motor mount than remove the header? What I like about he frame brackets is you can remove the bottom bolt and the frame bracket and it will swing down and you can remove or at least loosen) the motor mount without disturbing the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the stock head studs and found the same problem, after starter and motor mount removal I got the 2 nuts installed and torqued, it didn't more than 30 - 40 minutes as I recall.

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Get them started before any of the other bolts. Then an open ended crescent 1/10 of a turn at a time.
    MK3.1 #7076 - Under Construction....
    Coyote 5.0/Solid 8.8/Tremec 3650
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering
    05-09 T3650 in a Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to mention I used the open end crows foot with 3/8 " ratchet style torque wrench and extension to torque the nuts properly.

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Like ClemsonS197 I used an open end wrench with tiny increments of rotation. I have not torqued the bolts but I don't have any obvious exhaust leaks at the headers.

On the other hand I have persistent leaks at both joints just downstream of the collectors. Any ideas on how to fix that problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's why I went the route of the old U-clamp with slices out of the muffler inlets at 3 and 9 o'clock. I just could not get the clamps supplied to even come close to gripping the pipes.

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to get the no 2 cyl header bolt installed, or I should say header stud. I removed the header completely then installed a stud in no. 2 rear hole, then reinstalled the header and was able to get the nut started and snugged up, however I still need to tighten/torque the nut; still can't get a socket on it, tried a crows foot also no go, may have to get a special 17 mm 12 point wrench to tighten it. So, I have all bolts torqued except that one.
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky