BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: aluminum panels

Post Thanks / Like

aluminum panels

Anybody have a good way to clean the ink off the aluminum panels? How do you keep them from getting all ruffed up?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm obviously not a Factory Five tech, but this is a pretty general question that I can respond to. The ink will come off with several different solvents. I normally use lacquer thinner. Wipe it on pretty wet and it will come off. You may notice some slight remaining shadow of the marking. Not sure if that's where it's just buried in the aluminum or maybe oxidation around it. But depending on how you finish, it's not normally a problem.

But being "roughed up" you mean just getting scratched and/or damaged while working with them? Unless you're really throwing them around, piling stuff on them, whatever, they're not that fragile. Just a little care like you would any other parts going into the car and they'll be fine. The other comment is try to take note of what sides will show in the final product, and be especially careful there. Much of the panels are hidden once the car is done, e.g. under carpet, underneath, etc.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks this is helpful. Will a green scrubber work on scratches. I want them to be a natural as can be. Will goofoff work on the ink. Lacquer thinner doesn't seem to be strong enough.
    Last edited by ruampy; 03-02-2015 at 06:27 PM. Reason: though of more stuff

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    acetone is the ticket.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm surprised about the lacquer thinner. Been using that for aluminum ink marking for years and it always did the job for me. Quick Google search: acetone, brake cleaner, and MEK all mentioned. For removing scratches, a green scrubber (assume you mean a Scotch Brite type pad?) could work but depends on how deep and it is going to dull the finish. Normal aluminum polishing involves progressively finer sandpaper and then polish to restore the shine. Personally, I'm not the best source for this. Both of my builds I've powder coated the aluminum panels. Lots of discussion about the various ways to finish and the merit of each, including leaving them natural. If you do leave them natural, I assume you know they are going to age and not look like they do now in the long run. Quite a bit of discussion about panel finishing in this thread over on the other forum: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...um-panels.html

Two other suggestions, as I see you're a pretty new forum member. First, you will get a lot more traffic for your questions directly in the Roadster forum. The FFR tech section can be useful for very specific questions directly to FFR. But honestly I'm not sure how closely it's monitored by FFR. Personally I would call them if you really need specific help. Second, you also may want to consider joining the other forum (FFCars.com) if you haven't already. This forum is good, but the other has been around longer and has quite a bit more traffic for Roadsters. Good luck with your build.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Acetone is what I use, read warnings... very fine scotch brite, fine abrasive sponges, to rubbing compounds then a clear coat. Satin or gloss depending on desired effect. You can play with what is a poor mans engine turned look using various rotary sanding & polishing wheels. good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the help guys. I found acetone does not work as well as lacquer thinner does. Its just takes a lot of elbow grease. I'll keep working on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I normally use acetone but sometimes that doesn’t work but plain water will and sometimes nothing seem to work. I think if the ink is old and/or left in the sunlight for a long period it makes it hard to remove.

Bill Lomenick
    Chotis Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    When all else fails, you could try alumiprep. It is a phosphoric acid based product used to clean aluminum in the aircraft industry prior to priming. Be very careful, gloves and eye protection a must. Might be overkill, but it will clean your aluminum very well. Hope this helps.

Todd (my 33 is being delivered tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like
    I had my panels powered coated. The shop bead-blasted them and there was still a trace of chemical from the ink that bled thru the coating. It required a rubdown with xylene before the bleeding stopped showing thru.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had several different manufactures of aluminum and the ink is different on some. Acetone works well for most but not all. Switching between xylene, lacquer thinner, and acetone has removed it from all brands.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build